Post-Game Talk: Bruins beat Penguins 1-0 to sweep the ECF. End? No, the journey doesn't end here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I don't think anyone is saying trade him just for the same of getting him off the team. In my view, I just don't think he's worth the money he can command on the open market and he'd bring great value in a trade if he does demand to be paid too much.

We're here assuming that he'll demand 7 million a season though when we don't even know for sure if that's the case. Shero has been a wizard with contracts before, so lets just see what he can work out.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't think anyone is saying trade him just for the same of getting him off the team. In my view, I just don't think he's worth the money he can command on the open market and he'd bring great value in a trade if he does demand to be paid too much.

You might not be, but some definitely are.

He's might not be worth the tip of what he can get at the open market, but he's definitely worth the $6.5m he's likely to be signed for.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
You might not be, but some definitely are.

He's might not be worth the tip of what he can get at the open market, but he's definitely worth the $6.5m he's likely to be signed for.

A 26 year old smooth skating, puck moving blue liner that can put up 50-60+ points a season, is an asset on shootouts, and has a bit of a mean streak to his game? Ya he can pretty much demand that easily.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
We're here assuming that he'll demand 7 million a season though when we don't even know for sure if that's the case. Shero has been a wizard with contracts before, so lets just see what he can work out.

I would definitely prefer that we sign Letang to a reasonable contract and maybe Letang will take a discount. I'm just talking trade if Letang does demand to be paid among the highest paid d-men range.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I guess it is more playing smart than playing well. The Bruins formulated a game plan. This team didn't do the same until it was too late.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's fine defensively, more than find actually. He was horrid in all aspects in his game for the first 2 games of the series. But **** happens.

I don't mind him showing some emotion on the ice, but the end of the 2nd period of game 1 was not the place for it. And it almost seemed to me like he heard all the criticism and then overcompensated for the rest of the series. Hardly showed any emotion on the bench, towards the refs, etc.

Also, one part of Kirk's 'woe is Malkin' campaign I do agree with is the teams reaction to his fight in game 1. You're seriously having players (much lesser players btw) publically criticizing Malkin for fighting and showing emotion there? How about you realize that your two best and most important stars out there are getting mugged and fired up and let it fire you up as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm on board with this too, and felt it was the turning point in the series. I don't care if Geno samurai-chopped someone's head with his stick, his teammates and coaches need to back him, not sell him out. That was an absolute pathetic display by this team. It will likely go overlooked by management, but it could be an indicator of much bigger problems on this team.

Bylsma: Malkin cost us a chance at a PP goal by doing that.

Thorton: When you see a guy like Bergeron fighting, it makes you want to do more.

Pretty much sums up the series. The stench with the Pens starts with the coaching.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I would definitely prefer that we sign Letang to a reasonable contract and maybe Letang will take a discount. I'm just talking trade if Letang does demand to be paid among the highest paid d-men range.

If he manages to get his game to that level next season though (which is feasible) then do we cave and give in to his demands? I have a feeling that even if Letang is playing at the level we want him to we would be upset about giving him that kind of money.

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
If I have to hear Crosby say the Pens "deserved better" one more time I'm going to lose it. You got what you deserved you scored 2 goals in 4 games so you got swept. End of story.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
He's allowed to be upset. Would you rather the generic politically correct responses that Sid used to give?

Sid can't say anything right. No matter what he says to the media, there is always someone *****ing that he should have said something else. It's ridiculous.

If Sid said Alfie type comments after the third loss, this place would have ripped him apart, but there were actually some Pens fans defending Alfie when he said it.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Sid can't say anything right. No matter what he says to the media, there is always someone *****ing that he should have said something else. It's ridiculous.

If Sid said Alfie type comments after the third loss, this place would have ripped him apart, but there were actually some Pens fans defending Alfie when he said it.
Yep. I would have been pissed if Sid came out and publically said that he didnt think they could come back, that the Bruins were just too good. It was a terrible comment by Alfreddson. I don't care that he followed it up with the 'but we will give it our best shot'. Part of sports is all about confidence and belief and taking a 'we will try but its not feasible to think we could actually succeed' is about as defeatist as they come and shows a complete lack of confidence or belief in his own team.

Hell, I was pissed as was a lot of this forum about Malkin talking about the World Hockey Championships last year after going down 0-3 against the Flyers.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
He doesnt need to act so entitled. That and he didnt really give credit to the bruins.

Why should he have to give credit to the Bruins? I think that his team getting swept in 4 games and scoring only 2 goals in the process was "giving" enough don't you? In a series that one sided there really isn't any need to give credit. I'd rather my captain be noticeably upset about a defeat then to be there applauding the opposition. At least that anger can be carried into next season and converted into desire to do better.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Those wanting Letang traded are morons. Complete morons.

Depends on what we get. Letang has not played big when it mattered most for us the last two playoffs, and he's going to command a BIG salary most likely... so if someone is willing to part with a Top 10 pick in the best draft in over a decade + a good roster player that meets a legitimate need for us, I'd consider it. Otherwise you risk no signing this year and he walks next year when we don't give him his $8M or whatever the increased premium for players of his caliber are at that time.

I think most of us don't WANT to trade Letang, but fear what he asks for money-wise, is not what he'll bring in the playoffs. Now, if you want to apply your moron statement to Malkin or Crosby trade ideas, I agree with you. There is no circumstance and no evidence that suggests these guys are anything but untradable and more often than not, big players when they need to be big.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Why should he have to give credit to the Bruins? I think that his team getting swept in 4 games and scoring only 2 goals in the process was "giving" enough don't you? In a series that one sided there really isn't any need to give credit. I'd rather my captain be noticeably upset about a defeat then to be there applauding the opposition. At least that anger can be carried into next season and converted into desire to do better.

I think what bradshaw06 is suggesting is that the reaction says 'we didn't get to our game', i.e., that we lost not because of anything they did and our failure to adjust to it or match lines, etc, but only because we didn't execute.

If THAT is what he meant, then THAT is every bit the problem that the team's reaction to Malkin fighting Bergeron was.

Bylsma talked about the team having an attitude issue. It does. And, it starts with him.

From not embracing Malkin showing hurt (you cost us a chance to score on the PP) to this 'get to our game' **** that is now parroted by just about every player (the random excuse generator from everyone) . . . well, I'll just say that it's **** like this that makes me wonder if Torts was right about the Pens' arrogance.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Depends on what we get. Letang has not played big when it mattered most for us the last two playoffs, and he's going to command a BIG salary most likely... so if someone is willing to part with a Top 10 pick in the best draft in over a decade + a good roster player that meets a legitimate need for us, I'd consider it. Otherwise you risk no signing this year and he walks next year when we don't give him his $8M or whatever the increased premium for players of his caliber are at that time.

I think most of us don't WANT to trade Letang, but fear what he asks for money-wise, is not what he'll bring in the playoffs.

Who's giving a top 10 pick if they don't think they can resign him? And, last I checked, there isn't a Letang brother playing for any one of those teams. ;)

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
I think what bradshaw06 is suggesting is that the reaction says 'we didn't get to our game', i.e., that we lost not because of anything they did and our failure to adjust to it or match lines, etc, but only because we didn't execute.

If THAT is what he meant, then THAT is every bit the problem that the team's reaction to Malkin fighting Bergeron was.

Bylsma talked about the team having an attitude issue. It does. And, it starts with him.

From not embracing Malkin showing hurt (you cost us a chance to score on the PP) to this 'get to our game' **** that is now parroted by just about every player (the random excuse generator from everyone) . . . well, I'll just say that it's **** like this that makes me wonder if Torts was right about the Pens' arrogance.

pretty much this. put it better than i did:laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
"Did you see the way Sid wasn't smiling at all during his interview? He's such a sulker and is bringing the morale of the club down!"

"Did you see the way Sid smiled while he was being interviewed? He's obviously not bothered by the loss, he doesn't care."

"Did you hear Sid say "we have to be better"? He's blaming the rest of the team for the loss."

"Did you hear Sid say "I have to be better"? He thinks he's the entire team."

I swear, Sid can't even win with his own fanbase. Now you got folks talking about stripping him of the 'C' because it's his leadership that has caused these playoff failures. Bunch of entitled brats, some of you are.

When I read stuff like that, a part of me wishes Sid would demand a trade to an organization whose fanbase would realize how lucky they are to have Sid (and in our case, Geno as well), rather than rip them apart as soon as the team lays an egg.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

Well in all fairness execution was a major issue. Especially when you're whiffing on shots, making passes into empty spaces, and missing shots from 10 feet away. The Bruins played well but we didn't exactly make it challenging for them. We could probably put together a 30 minute blooper reel from this series alone.

In any case it's like I said, I can't blame Sid one bit for feeling absolutely butthurt after this kind of series. Its probably the most humiliating playoff performance in the team's history, and it came against probably our most stacked roster in Penguins history. Its gonna be a very long, painful summer for these guys.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

I think most of us don't WANT to trade Letang, but fear what he asks for money-wise, is not what he'll bring in the playoffs. Now, if you want to apply your moron statement to Malkin or Crosby trade ideas, I agree with you. There is no circumstance and no evidence that suggests these guys are anything but untradable and more often than not, big players when they need to be big.

Once again, I can say this about pretty much every other star player on this team. Difference is that those guys were already making the massive salaries when they chose to disappear entirely.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well in all fairness execution was a major issue. Especially when you're whiffing on shots, making passes into empty spaces, and missing shots from 10 feet away. The Bruins played well but we didn't exactly make it challenging for them. We could probably put together a 30 minute blooper reel from this series alone.

In any case it's like I said, I can't blame Sid one bit for feeling absolutely butthurt after this kind of series. Its probably the most humiliating playoff performance in the team's history, and it came against probably our most stacked roster in Penguins history. Its gonna be a very long, painful summer for these guys.

I don't blame him from being hurt. But, there was a time he would've offered credit. Even I remember that.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
"Did you see the way Sid wasn't smiling at all during his interview? He's such a sulker and is bringing the morale of the club down!"

"Did you see the way Sid smiled while he was being interviewed? He's obviously not bothered by the loss, he doesn't care."

"Did you hear Sid say "we have to be better"? He's blaming the rest of the team for the loss."

"Did you hear Sid say "I have to be better"? He thinks he's the entire team."

I swear, Sid can't even win with his own fanbase. Now you got folks talking about stripping him of the 'C' because it's his leadership that has caused these playoff failures. Bunch of entitled brats, some of you are.

When I read stuff like that, a part of me wishes Sid would demand a trade to an organization whose fanbase would realize how lucky they are to have Sid (and in our case, Geno as well), rather than rip them apart as soon as the team lays an egg.

Status quo around here. We rip on other fanbases for crapping on Sid at every opportunity, yet no one does it worse than our own. I suppose Sid would've looked considerably more professional had he publicly tore DB and the rest of the coaching staff a new a-hole? That would've definitely made things better.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I don't blame him from being hurt. But, there was a time he would've offered credit. Even I remember that.

But WHO CARES???? Like I really don't see why its such a big deal that he didn't give the B's a pat on the back for embarrassing his team in 4 games. What difference will that really make in the end? Its like we're now splitting hairs deliberately looking reasons to question Sid's leadership abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad