Post-Game Talk: Bruins beat Penguins 1-0 to sweep the ECF. End? No, the journey doesn't end here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
crosby and malkin should be the only true core players. what has letang done to warrant being a core/untouchable player? scored a bunch of points in regular season games or against bad playoff teams? hes done nothing to be lumped in there with crosby and malkin.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Well it's over now. But who will you be rooting for in the finals - the Bruins or Blackhawks? How many are of the, root for the guys that beat us cos that proves we were a pretty good team mindset?

Rooting for the Hawks. But nothing against the Bruins. Just have been rooting for Chicago since I have had family move there 5 years ago. So I picked them as my Western conference team to root for ever since.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well I said all along no matter what I saw in the regular season, I was waiting until the playoffs to judge DB.

I know there is a large contingent that wanted this to happen to get rid of DB, but I see no real positives in his failures and possible firing. The best case scenario was that DB got over his stubborn ways and learned to be a true disciplinarian.

Now we are left with the fleeting hope he finally figures it out or the new coach overcomes his own warts, or the inexperienced guy becomes a savvy vet by the time the playoffs roll around.

None of the above options are ones I would want to wager good money on.

First of all you obviously would have wanted him gone earlier also if you'd known that none of the changes you hoped for would be forthcoming.

I find it absurd to say that a large contingent (genuinely) wanted this debacle just to get rid of DB. It is rather a small band-aid on a raw wound that the sweep might lead to his sacking, and people arguing even that are simply trying to find a positive from a sad situation.

Instead of saying what you have all the time thought, you could also just acknowledge that a large contingent here had come to the conclusion you belatedly arrive at a long time ago.

Moreover, as much as I agree on the accountability part, said ad nauseam by many others also, there is a lot more to it.
Be it sickeningly frustrating line/pairing choices, stubbornness leading to a dire lack of adjustments of strategy to specific opponents, oft returning problems in having us look a structurally sound hockey team, inability to get the team away from losing patterns.... so many other issues addressed in the Bylsma hot seat thread.... it is not just about accountability/being a disciplinarian. As much as you want to pimp the grievance you've legitimately held for a long time.

... and even if it was, it was obvious also before this series, these playoffs and indeed this season, that Bylsma was/is never going to be that guy here.
He is too wedded to his ideas and the core group he has had here for years. Some times a hockey club, just like a company, has to make a management switch simply to break away from bad habits that have taken root. It is rare in the extreme that those responsible for those habits in the first place can clean them up internally.

There is no guarantee that a new coach will do better. Obviously. But is is far too much of a long shot to expect Bylsma to get us right to continue down this road. If it wasn't the team I root for, I would be doing 'told you so' dances with a smile on my face, but as it is, it is frustrating to the n'th, because I honestly believe that we had the best roster in the league both this season and last. These were squandered openings in truth.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
First of all you obviously would have wanted him gone earlier also if you'd known that none of the changes you hoped for would be forthcoming.

I find it absurd to say that a large contingent (genuinely) wanted this debacle just to get rid of DB. It is rather a small band-aid on a raw wound that the sweep might lead to his sacking, and people arguing even that are simply trying to find a positive from a sad situation.

Instead of saying what you have all the time thought, you could also just acknowledge that a large contingent here had come to the conclusion you belatedly arrive at a long time ago.

Moreover, as much as I agree on the accountability part, said ad nauseam by many others also, there is a lot more to it.
Be it sickeningly frustrating line/pairing choices, stubbornness leading to a dire lack of adjustments of strategy to specific opponents, oft returning problems in having us look a structurally sound hockey team, inability to get the team away from losing patterns.... so many other issues addressed in the Bylsma hot seat thread.... it is not just about accountability/being a disciplinarian. As much as you want to pimp the grievance you've legitimately held for a long time.

... and even if it was, it was obvious also before this series, these playoffs and indeed this season, that Bylsma was/is never going to be that guy here.
He is too wedded to his ideas and the core group he has had here for years. Some times a hockey club, just like a company, has to make a management switch simply to break away from bad habits that have taken root. It is rare in the extreme that those responsible for those habits in the first place can clean them up internally.

There is no guarantee that a new coach will do better. Obviously. But is is far too much of a long shot to expect Bylsma to get us right to continue down this road. If it wasn't the team I root for, I would be doing 'told you so' dances with a smile on my face, but as it is, it is frustrating to the n'th, because I honestly believe that we had the best roster in the league both this season and last. These were squandered openings in truth.

Well, you have me convinced. Now if you can possibly send word to Mr. Shero... Because in all honesty, I expect him to be retained. There are a lot of coaches out there who have good track records at various levels, more than usual it seems. Not to say I'd ever want Torts to be our coach, but right now seems a good time to sack our coach and start anew...

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Finally just got in from a rank bender cause of this game. Now i'm depressed again reading this thread lol.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Huge Sid fan but he's not above criticism. He acted like a punky little ***** both this year and last year. I like an edge to his game but he went looking for trouble more than sticking up for himself or a team mate. It wasn't needed.

He became unraveled and his team followed him. Sid is still the C but I have no problem with people questioning it.

Cole... you should have let that stay open.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

TR, I don't think anyone WANTED it to happen. They were just pessimists, like myself, who KNEW it was going to happen. I have gotten my fair share of attacks because I kept saying this would happen. We'd go on streaks and win w/ ridiculous talent and get nowhere in the playoffs. It was so obvious.

But we've been in the same boat for so long and I totally agree with what you are saying. This "I told you so" is an awful feeling. I was scared of this happening. You were scared of this happening. It happened.

I actually found the time where MT is a better choice over Bylsma. I couldn't believe it. Why? Because Letang would have been benched for his mental mistakes. Lines would have been switched around (probably too much :laugh: ) and adjustments would have been made properly.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Huge Sid fan but he's not above criticism. He acted like a punky little ***** both this year and last year. I like an edge to his game but he went looking for trouble more than sticking up for himself or a team mate. It wasn't needed.

He became unraveled and his team followed him. Sid is still the C but I have no problem with people questioning it.

Maybe that question can come up mid-summer. But with tension around here... how did you expect that one to end? :)

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
TR, I don't think anyone WANTED it to happen. They were just pessimists, like myself, who KNEW it was going to happen. I have gotten my fair share of attacks because I kept saying this would happen. We'd go on streaks and win w/ ridiculous talent and get nowhere in the playoffs. It was so obvious.

That my point Cole, I think it is just a coping mechanism.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Maybe that question can come up mid-summer. But with tension around here... how did you expect that one to end? :)
I understand your role on the board and will always support your modding but there is something wrong with the Pens and I think we should be talking about them from top to bottom. The more we look away... the longer it goes on.

At the end of the day I spend a lot of money and way to much time every year on anything Penguins. I know I'm not alone on that so venting, questioning and going over problems is something we should be able to do as long as its done within the rules.

Plus this is one of the bigger and better hockey sites. If you don't think your voice gets heard here I would have to disagree.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This has been one of my favorite pics since he left.

You can put any sassy quote here. Enjoy.

81d69d2474ee6547687f070a248b895f.jpg

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

He definitely could have responded better to adversity. That also reflects Bylsma though. He needs to able to tell Sid when he isn't acting appropriate on the ice to the situation.

I think that harkens back to Bylsma being their best friend and not their coach. I don't like this returning of the country club atmosphere.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This has been one of my favorite pics since he left.

You can put any sassy quote here. Enjoy.

81d69d2474ee6547687f070a248b895f.jpg
" I toll you!!!"

" So where's the Mango Salsa?"

" Brooks you get F3 tonight!"

" I do not look like Troy Crosby."

" MAF... get in the bathroom with Coffee Cake and Franky the Whale."

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Did you think you had some magic eye to see DB shortcomings that I didn't see?

I talked about his weaknesses last summer over and over and the fact I wasn't fond of him, but said I was going to support him anyway because he wasn't going anywhere. That's the part you keep missing.

I knew he was staying and since I accepted reality, the only sane thing to do was hope DB lived up to the potential he had.

The difference between you and me is I accepted the fact that DB would be here another season, while you had this fantasy that *****ing about him made a difference.

Did your *****ing get him removed? No.

Did it stop another playoff meltdown? No.

The only sane approach was to hope he got his **** turned around because there was at least a chance of that happening. Believing he would get fired was a fool's road, and not one I was willing to walk down with this fantasy of DB being expunged.

In fact, I'm not sure if he will get fired even now, so you better accept that reality if it comes to pass.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Did you think you had some magic eye to see DB shortcomings that I didn't see?

I talked about his weaknesses last summer over and over and the fact I wasn't fond of him, but said I was going to support him anyway because he wasn't going anywhere. That's the part you keep missing.

I knew he was staying and since I accepted reality, the only sane thing to do was hope DB lived up to the potential he had.

The difference between you and me is I accepted the fact that DB would be here another season, while you had this fantasy that *****ing about him made a difference.

Did your *****ing get him removed? No.

Did it stop another playoff meltdown? No.

The only sane approach was to hope he got his **** turned around because there was at least a chance of that happening. Believing he would get fired was a fool's road, and not one I was willing to walk down with this fantasy of DB being expunged.

In fact, I'm not sure if he will get fired even now, so you better accept that reality if it comes to pass.

Haha, classic. It takes a magic eye to see something you don't (the horror!). Is this some a priori thing for everyone or is it just me :laugh: ?

Realizing that hoping (you, and far more importantly Shero) was only going to lead us to more disappointment, that is me *****ing I suppose.... except of course I never argued that I thought Bylsma would be fired within the season, only why I thought it would be better if he were, why I think him a failure for us and now why I would think it an abject horror is this isn't the final straw.

Obviously, our shared opinion that Bylsma would not actually give the youngsters decent development chances, and complete lack of suprise that he didn't, that didn't stop either of us from ranting on that, but that is somehow different, I take it?

And no, I actually don't comment here with a thought that I can change anything at all. Reason being that it would be moronic.

But hey, different strokes :D .

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Haha, classic. It takes a magic eye to see something you don't (the horror!). Is this some a priori thing for everyone or is it just me :laugh: ?

Aside from systematic issues, you and I agreed on mostly everything about DB. So re-writing history to make it seem like you saw issues I didn't, and these playoffs became some type of epiphany for me, is downright comical.

Realizing that hoping (you, and far more importantly Shero) was only going to lead us to more disappointment, that is me *****ing I suppose.... except of course I never argued that I thought Bylsma would be fired within the season, only why I thought it would be better if he were, why I think him a failure for us and now why I would think it an abject horror is this isn't the final straw.

Obviously, our shared opinion that Bylsma would not actually give the youngsters decent development chances, and complete lack of suprise that he didn't, that didn't stop either of us from ranting on that, but that is somehow different, I take it?

And no, I actually don't comment here with a thought that I can change anything at all. Reason being that it would be moronic.

But hey, different strokes :D .

You wasted all season *****ing about something that would never change. I accepted that last summer and you didn't.

*****ing about lineup changes and other realistic issues is fine, because at least there is a chance it may happen. I ragged for half the season about the PK, then DB finally changed it to an aggressive wedge + 1. So at least there was hope he may do something about the PK and he did.

There was absolutely no reason to waste my time and energy hoping DB would be fired. You decided to take that fool's path and that is your own deal TR. No amount of *****ing was going to alter that reality. I knew that since last summer, you obviously didn't.

You say different strokes, I say misdirected hostility.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Going to close this down now, guys. Been almost two days to vent and talk about the game. Time to move on. We have some good Draft / Trade / Coaching Change threads going.

Continue there and thanks for helping the mods keep it relatively calm / peaceful in here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad