Post-Game Talk: Bruins beat Panthers 4 - 1.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I'd be disappointed if Chiarelli traded Krejci before giving him a chance to play with a better linemate or two, be it this season or in the near future. Even as it is, he's currently producing at the same level as the #1 line even though he's skating with the ghosts of Horton & Lucic when the team's at even strength.

Give him a pair of linemates that skate & hustle like Seguin & Marchand, and he'd play more like the #1 center that he's capable of. More than anything, I'd like to see them acquire a winger to replace Horton on that line and move him to the 3rd, which is the level that he's playing at these days. Maybe a better skater would force Lucic to move his feet more.

I'm not sure that this statement is true anymore. I mean... Chiarelli juste re-signed Lucic to a 6 per extension so i assume that he consider him as a part of the solution instead of a part of the problem. If it's true that Horton is disappearing, i think it's the ability of Krejci to make his linemates better who's at play,here. When you look at Bergeron and the way he made Seguin and Marchand better player, i think the question of Krejci's ability to make Lucic/Horton better need to be raised. Again, i will let you draw your own conclusions on that matter.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
This team looks down right brutal right now.
Good to get the w tho.
I am curious to see how tjey do these next 5. Tough games.

Its obvious chia will be making some moves so I'm not too worried.
If this waz the team going in the playoffs id be worried

reidy

@reidjjackson
I'm not sure that this statement is true anymore. I mean... Chiarelli juste re-signed Lucic to a 6 per extension so i assume that he consider him as a part of the solution instead of a part of the problem. If it's true that Horton is disappearing, i think it's the ability of Krejci to make his linemates better who's at play,here. When you look at Bergeron and the way he made Seguin and Marchand better player, i think the question of Krejci's ability to make Lucic/Horton better need to be raised. Again, i will let you draw your own conclusions on that matter.
I imagine it's rather difficult to make your linemates look good when they're as disinterested as Lucic and Horton have been. I don't fault Krejci at all.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Florida's injury report:

Michael Caruso 2013-01-23 on injured reserve and is out indefinitely broken wrist
Ed Jovanovski 2013-01-30 on injured reserve knee
Mike Weaver 2013-03-01 on injured reserve and is expected to miss 4-5 weeks lower body
Scottie Upshall 2013-03-03 on injured reserve lower body
Jose Theodore 2013-03-03 on injured reserve and is expected to miss 5-6 weeks torn right groin
Dmitry Kulikov 2013-03-03 on injured reserve and is expected to miss 3-4 weeks sprained right wrist
Stephen Weiss 2013-03-04 on injured reserve and will miss the remainder of the season to undergo wrist surgery
Kris Versteeg 2013-03-13 on injured reserve and will miss the remainder of the season to undergo right knee surgery
Sean Bergenheim 2013-03-15 undisclosed undisclosed

So imagine us minus Rask, Marchand, Kelly, Mcquaid, Seidenberg, Thornton, Boychuk

That's who they struggled against last night.

And it's the same team that beat the Penguins 6-4. Funny how that happens.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I imagine it's rather difficult to make your linemates look good when they're as disinterested as Lucic and Horton have been. I don't fault Krejci at all.

Not at all? For a #1 centerman, I suspect a large part of his responsibility is distribution to his linemates, and recently, he`s done little in that category, then combine that with a complete absence of any physical game from Horty, and a sub par Looch, not at all 1st line material.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I`m far more concerned about this teams lack of scoring rather than our goalies (although you are correct but every goalie has a weak spot)

When you look at Rask's stats ( and as another poster said ), the "high glove side " hysteria seem to be a weakness that nobody seem to be able to exploit. More then that, it might tougher then a lot of people think to exploit that weakness ( also said by the "X" poster ). I'm definitely more concern about the entire 3rd line and the fact the Bruins have to rely on Bergy's line to generate offense. We NEED #46-17-18 to get going ASAP.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
When you look at Rask's stats ( and as another poster said ), the "high glove side " hysteria seem to be a weakness that nobody seem to be able to exploit. More then that, it might tougher then a lot of people think to exploit that weakness ( also said by the "X" poster ). I'm definitely more concern about the entire 3rd line and the fact the Bruins have to rely on Bergy's line to generate offense. We NEED #46-17-18 to get going ASAP.

Agreed, first line needs to consistently have the opponents on their heels and they aren`t. 3rd line is a mess, regardless if Kelly wasn`t playing his best, without him, this team needs to either make an internal adjustment (Spooner?) or make a move externally which is what I`m anticipating

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Damn just depressed myself. Looked at all the teams in the East, and the only three teams I came up with where I might not trade our first line for their first line:

Ottawa
Toronto
Winnipeg (and this is close)

I literally take 11 other first lines in the East right now in a 3 for 3

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And it's the same team that beat the Penguins 6-4. Funny how that happens.

Sure, sports are weird like that, where any team can beat another on any given night. That being said, the Panthers recent win versus the Penguins has zero to do with how the Bruins played like garbage last night. You can't point to something completely unrelated and use it as justification for the Bruins playing very poorly over the handful of games.

reidy

@reidjjackson
Not at all? For a #1 centerman, I suspect a large part of his responsibility is distribution to his linemates, and recently, he`s done little in that category, then combine that with a complete absence of any physical game from Horty, and a sub par Looch, not at all 1st line material.
Well personally, I think we need to stop calling that line the Bruins' "#1" line anyway. They're not. The Bruins' 3 best forwards play on a line together and average more TOI than LKH.

I think Krejci's been pretty good. He's near the team lead in scoring and on a 70 point pace over a full season. Has he been great? No. Has he shown up every night? Probably not. Has he had any help whatsoever from his linemates this year? Hardly.

*Bolded for effect. Hopefully other people realize this soon enough.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Our first line is probably the slowest in recent memory.
They need some speed. Seguin would be perfect in hortons spot.

reidy

@reidjjackson
Damn just depressed myself. Looked at all the teams in the East, and the only three teams I came up with where I might not trade our first line for their first line:

Ottawa
Toronto
Winnipeg (and this is close)

I literally take 11 other first lines in the East right now in a 3 for 3
I can think of maybe 2 or 3 1st lines in the NHL I'd take over Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin.

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009
Right now, it seems that our 2nd line should be our top line and our 4th line should be our 3rd line.

Not sure what is up with the KHL line. Horton and Lucic seem stuck in low gear.

Still, not complaining, we have what 18 wins with only one line consistently scoring. We have been lucky that Rask and Kudo have been playing so good.

I think this team needs a trade to shake things up.

Who knows, maybe Chia moves Horton as part of a package.

I would hate to see him go but we need more production out of a top line winger. Given the play of late, it seems unlikely that Chi resigns him unless he can get him at a discount.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Sure, sports are weird like that, where any team can beat another on any given night. That being said, the Panthers recent win versus the Penguins has zero to do with how the Bruins played like garbage last night. You can't point to something completely unrelated and use it as justification for the Bruins playing very poorly over the handful of games.

Not doing so. Just pointing out that in this league, there are no sure things, no matter what.

I'm always amused at the "sure win" attitude. As they say, that's why they play the games. :)

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Agreed, first line needs to consistently have the opponents on their heels and they aren`t. 3rd line is a mess, regardless if Kelly wasn`t playing his best, without him, this team needs to either make an internal adjustment (Spooner?) or make a move externally which is what I`m anticipating

I think they will be forced to go internally. There's no team who want to help the Bruins by trading a solid player unless Chiarelli grossly overpaid. I don't think it will happen.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Right now, it seems that our 2nd line should be our top line and our 4th line should be our 3rd line.

Not sure what is up with the KHL line. Horton and Lucic seem stuck in low gear.

Still, not complaining, we have what 18 wins with only one line consistently scoring. We have been lucky that Rask and Kudo have been playing so good.

I think this team needs a trade to shake things up.

Who knows, maybe Chia moves Horton as part of a package.

I would hate to see him go but we need more production out of a top line winger. Given the play of late, it seems unlikely that Chi resigns him unless he can get him at a discount.

Horton has a no trade clause. That needs to be stickied somewhere.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not doing so. Just pointing out that in this league, there are no sure things, no matter what.

I'm always amused at the "sure win" attitude. As they say, that's why they play the games. :)

Agreed. Strangely enough, if they came out with a full effort yet lost last night, I think I'd feel better this morning than I do after that win. They've been playing far too passively and have been far too lazy in the last few games for my liking.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Horton has a no trade clause. That needs to be stickied somewhere.

You're right but... I don't think it's the NTC. It's probably more the fact that Horton is damaged goods and the fact that team won't pay a whole lot for him. I also think that Horton probably know that he won't be back and might want to move elsewhere to restore his value? So many factors, so many moving parts...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Players with NTC get traded all the time

Sure, Horton had a NTC when he was traded to Boston from Florida. Of course he waived it. Wouldn't you? Do you think he'd waive it this time around, if the Bruins tried to make a deal to send him to a bottom-feeder?

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Sure, Horton had a NTC when he was traded to Boston from Florida. Of course he waived it. Wouldn't you? Do you think he'd waive it this time around, if the Bruins tried to make a deal to send him to a bottom-feeder?

I don't see a bottom feeder trading for a rental...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Agreed. Strangely enough, if they came out with a full effort yet lost last night, I think I'd feel better this morning than I do after that win. They've been playing far too passively and have been far too lazy in the last few games for my liking.

Perhaps you would, but there would be plenty here who would complain anyway. ;)

The Bruins themselves aren't happy, though Julien I think is smart not to hammer at them TOO hard. They can't get down on themselves or it'll turn into a self-defeating spiral, and I think a good coach knows how to strike that balance. Every team goes through ruts; it's climbing out of them that's the mark of a good team.

I have faith they will. :)

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia

I've already drawn my own conclusions: Krejci's doing well on the PP, when he has finishers that are (currently) better than Lucic & Horton to pass to. And he's still matching (or nearly matching) the top line point-for-point, in spite of the poor play from his normal two linemates.

Too many times he's put the puck on Horton's stick, only to have Horton shoot wide or into the goalie's crest. It's tough for me to blame the center when his wingers aren't finishing.

And IRT the bolded: where were the questions about Bergeron's abilities as a center when Seguin was cold-as-ice to start the year? Is Bergeron a better center now, because Seguin is scoring, than he was a month or so ago, when Seguin was not? The center can only do so much to make his wingers better, and when a winger is cold, it's not necessarily the center's fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00