Post-Game Talk: Bruins beat Panthers 4 - 1.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bergeron's line is finding good seams in the slot off the rush and down low cycle and the results are showing. Krejci's line aren't finding the same seams, the line's playmaker is forcing plays that aren't there which leads to turnovers and the wingers aren't helping much. I think Lucic is filling his role, but Horton has been dogging it for awhile now. The way he turns away from laying a hit on someone reminds me of the way I use to be disappointed with Joe Thornton when he started playing butter soft and shying away from the hitting game.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Lucic's problems run outside of the rink, I believe he has some issues at home that have his mind elsewhere. He is not just playing bad, he is playing disinterested/pre-occupied. He is making mistakes that he does not usually make, certain shifts you can see he is really going and others he is just not into it. As for Horton, yes he has a NTC but most NTC mean you provide a list of a certain number of teams that you are willing to go to or a list you are not willing to go to, unlike a NMC. Krejci will never be traded (at least that is my opinion), when you listen to Chia talk about him you realize how much he repects him as a player and how high he holds his skill set. I really hope I am wrong on Lucic, but I don't think I am. It will all work itself out, and we should be happy we can discuss the teams issues and the problems they have, all the while the are one point out of first overall in the East with minimum two games in hand.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I don't see a bottom feeder trading for a rental...

Fair point, but to whatever team - would he OK it? Does he have ties with or a desire to go anywhere else? Family? BFFs? Not that I know of. I believe his off-season home is in Florida, and he certainly doesn't want to go back there. Lucic is his BFF. He reportedly loves Boston, and it's a team that can win a Cup. So, why would he waive his NTC?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Horton isn't doing much right now, but what do you expect? Guy has had 2 concussions in 1 year. And similar to Bergeron, his play dropped off a bit after the hit. Bergeron was averaging 0.9 pts/gm prior to concussion, that fell to 0.6pts/gm the 1st full season after. Horton averaged 0.66pts/gm in Boston & 0.75pts/gm in Florida prior to his concussions. Now he is down to 0.52pts/gm. And his shooting% is down 5% as well. All indications that he isn't 100% yet. You have to be patient with Horton and hope he regains his form like Bergeron did. In the meanwhile, Chia should've got some genuine help in the scoring department to take the pressure off of Horton.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fair point, but to whatever team - would he OK it? Does he have ties with or a desire to go anywhere else? Family? BFFs? Not that I know of. I believe his off-season home is in Florida, and he certainly doesn't want to go back there. Lucic is his BFF. He reportedly loves Boston, and it's a team that can win a Cup. So, why would he waive his NTC?

I doubt he`d waive it, I`ve been on him for a few weeks now, he began the year playing so much more assertive and I`m just not sure where that game went? I truly hope it`s like last year, him regaining his confidence around this many games in. If not, best buddies with Looch or not, tis a business, and I can see Chia moving on but still time left for him to recapture the game we all appreciate but as of now, the last 10-12 games? Sorry, hasn`t been anywhere near as solid as we know he can be.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Horton isn't doing much right now, but what do you expect? Guy has had 2 concussions in 1 year. And similar to Bergeron, his play dropped off a bit after the hit. Bergeron was averaging 0.9 pts/gm prior to concussion, that fell to 0.6pts/gm the 1st full season after. Horton averaged 0.66pts/gm in Boston & 0.75pts/gm in Florida prior to his concussions. Now he is down to 0.52pts/gm. And his shooting% is down 5% as well. All indications that he isn't 100% yet. You have to be patient with Horton and hope he regains his form like Bergeron did. In the meanwhile, Chia should've got some genuine help in the scoring department to take the pressure off of Horton.

All true however Shoebottom, although Bergy`s ppg totals dropped, he still was doing other things well, where my issue stands recently with Horty is his play when he isn`t a scoring threat.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I've already drawn my own conclusions: Krejci's doing well on the PP, when he has finishers that are (currently) better than Lucic & Horton to pass to. And he's still matching (or nearly matching) the top line point-for-point, in spite of the poor play from his normal two linemates.

Too many times he's put the puck on Horton's stick, only to have Horton shoot wide or into the goalie's crest. It's tough for me to blame the center when his wingers aren't finishing.

And IRT the bolded: where were the questions about Bergeron's abilities as a center when Seguin was cold-as-ice to start the year? Is Bergeron a better center now, because Seguin is scoring, than he was a month or so ago, when Seguin was not? The center can only do so much to make his wingers better, and when a winger is cold, it's not necessarily the center's fault.

I was not referring to the start of the year but since these players are playing in the NHL. There's no doubt, in my mind, that both Marchand and Seguin are better player, in their overall game, because they play with Bergeron. It's not coincidence that both guys can score goals without being a pain defensively. It's not a coincidence why this line have an amazing +/- of +56...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I doubt he`d waive it, I`ve been on him for a few weeks now, he began the year playing so much more assertive and I`m just not sure where that game went? I truly hope it`s like last year, him regaining his confidence around this many games in. If not, best buddies with Looch or not, tis a business, and I can see Chia moving on but still time left for him to recapture the game we all appreciate but as of now, the last 10-12 games? Sorry, hasn`t been anywhere near as solid as we know he can be.

Yes, it's a business, but the point is, Chia cannot move on without Horton's consent to trade him. And AFAIK, Horton has no reason to give that consent. Guys with NTCs will waive them to go to a contender, join a close friend, get close to home/family, that sort of thing. Horton already has all that, in Boston.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Can someone that is smarter than I (aka: most of you) speak to how often players with NTCs actually get traded?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes, it's a business, but the point is, Chia cannot move on without Horton's consent to trade him. And AFAIK, Horton has no reason to give that consent. Guys with NTCs will waive them to go to a contender, join a close friend, get close to home/family, that sort of thing. Horton already has all that, in Boston.

Yep, as I mentioned, highly doubt anything happens re Horty during the year. Come seasons end.....all lies on Horty`s shoulders to make the decision for Chia

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

You make fair point but there's young kids who are knocking on the door and Lucic-Krejci are already signed. We don't know if there's any talks between the team and Horton's agent. If not, then it's plausible to think that the Bruins want to wait at the end of the season and re-evaluate their commitment to Horton. Considering all the factors involved ,including a new contract for Rask ( who will cost a premium is he continue to have the stats he have ), If i'm Horton, well... i'm looking at the future and try to re-esthablish my value. At this point, there's too many signs who says that Horton won't be back. I would accept a trade if i was him...

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Our first line is probably the slowest in recent memory.
They need some speed. Seguin would be perfect in hortons spot.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
This team looks down right brutal right now.
Good to get the w tho.
I am curious to see how tjey do these next 5. Tough games.

Its obvious chia will be making some moves so I'm not too worried.
If this waz the team going in the playoffs id be worried

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
I was not referring to the start of the year but since these players are playing in the NHL. There's no doubt, in my mind, that both Marchand and Seguin are better player, in their overall game, because they play with Bergeron. It's not coincidence that both guys can score goals without being a pain defensively. It's not a coincidence why this line have an amazing +/- of +56...

But you said that Horton's disappearance made you question Krejci's ability to make his linemates better, so I have to ask if that's always applicable. As in, when Seguin wasn't producing and wasn't playing all that well defensively, was that on Bergeron? Or was it simply a case of Seguin not finishing and not playing as well as he was capable of?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
All true however Shoebottom, although Bergy`s ppg totals dropped, he still was doing other things well, where my issue stands recently with Horty is his play when he isn`t a scoring threat.

True, Bergeron's fell back on his bread'n'butter: defensive play. Horton was never known to be a two way forward. Horton is a sniper and a bit of a power forward. It's hard to be physical after a major concussion, and I think Horton relies on his size for some of his offense. Horton never was more than a sniper and a physical presence, can't really expect anything else from him.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
But you said that Horton's disappearance made you question Krejci's ability to make his linemates better, so I have to ask if that's always applicable. As in, when Seguin wasn't producing and wasn't playing all that well defensively, was that on Bergeron? Or was it simply a case of Seguin not finishing and not playing as well as he was capable of?

Not only Horton's disappearance. I think we all agree that the KLH line have consistency problems for about 2-3 years? This is where i question Krejci's ability to make player around him better. The guy has to be the spark plug of that line. Not the ONLY solution but, at least, the spark plug. I just don't see that but like any opinion, i could be dead wrong... Seguin like any rookie had to go through the learning process. I simply think that both Marchand and Seguin were better player faster by playing with Bergy.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
Not only Horton's disappearance. I think we all agree that the KLH line have consistency problems for about 2-3 years? This is where i question Krejci's ability to make player around him better. The guy has to be the spark plug of that line. Not the ONLY solution but, at least, the spark plug. I just don't see that but like any opinion, i could be dead wrong... Seguin like any rookie had to go through the learning process. I simply think that both Marchand and Seguin were better player faster by playing with Bergy.

I agree that there is consistency issues with Krejci's line - people have long pointed out that all three of them are streaky players. But IMHO the center can only do so much to pull his wingers out of a funk. He's making the passes and giving his wingers decent scoring chances, but those wingers aren't finishing as consistently as they could or should. Offensively, Krejci is not on a cold streak right now, even though at least one of his wingers is.

As I mentioned earlier, Krejci's producing at a much better clip when he's on the PP than when it's 5-on-5, and that's almost entirely because he's on the ice with guys that are finishing right now. 1/3 of his assists have come on the PP, even though it's only a relatively small percentage of his TOI. That's not a coincidence, to me. So to go back to what I said that began this go-around: I'd like to see what Krejci can do with a better winger before he's dealt away.

And I have to admit: for someone that told others to draw their own conclusions, you seem kind of bent to change my mind on the conclusions that I've drawn.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
True, Bergeron's fell back on his bread'n'butter: defensive play. Horton was never known to be a two way forward. Horton is a sniper and a bit of a power forward. It's hard to be physical after a major concussion, and I think Horton relies on his size for some of his offense. Horton never was more than a sniper and a physical presence, can't really expect anything else from him.

Yea, short answer, Nate's game cant translate to being cautious.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
How is this win "undeservedly"? The Bruins scored 4 goals. The Panthers 1. Yes it wasn't pretty at times, but so what? I'd rather an ugly win any day over a close/pretty loss.

And on the goal that Seguin gave up. Yeah it shouldn't have happened, but that was freakish, would only happen like 1 out of 100 times if you repeated it over and over again.

Bruins need to work on some stuff obviously. No team is perfect, but you are all acting like they just loss or should have lost and that's not the case here.

Brick is right. Making horrible passes in the zone, and out of it. Passes aren't flat, always tumbling. Too far ahead or too far behind recipients. Part of where the turnovers are coming from. Not to mention lack of controlled breakouts. Especially LKH line.

Played terrible, still won.

But they're supposed to toy w/ bottom dwellers like this. Not win undeservedly.

They have to get it together. Especially LKH. If he was going to split them up, I think he would have done it by now. They have to figure it out.

Those waiting for a deal involving Looch. Yeah, keep dreaming.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I agree that there is consistency issues with Krejci's line - people have long pointed out that all three of them are streaky players. But IMHO the center can only do so much to pull his wingers out of a funk. He's making the passes and giving his wingers decent scoring chances, but those wingers aren't finishing as consistently as they could or should. Offensively, Krejci is not on a cold streak right now, even though at least one of his wingers is.

As I mentioned earlier, Krejci's producing at a much better clip when he's on the PP than when it's 5-on-5, and that's almost entirely because he's on the ice with guys that are finishing right now. 1/3 of his assists have come on the PP, even though it's only a relatively small percentage of his TOI. That's not a coincidence, to me. So to go back to what I said that began this go-around: I'd like to see what Krejci can do with a better winger before he's dealt away.

And I have to admit: for someone that told others to draw their own conclusions, you seem kind of bent to change my mind on the conclusions that I've drawn.

Me too, I think he had the most sync with Kessel when he was here and Satan. I would love to see Krejci with a proven 40 goal scorer in his prime.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Horton has always disappeared for huge stretches. Even his first season here he took a two month vacation in November and December.

Amazingly, even with his OT goal in Game 5, if they lose Game 7 his line's total disappearance in that series is the biggest reason they lose. They pulled a Houdini most periods for 7 games.

This is what Horton does. He disappears. What is truly worrisome is that it seems Lucic goes with him on all these sabbaticals now.

Krejci's game is perfectly encapsulated by his nickname "the Matrix." He slows things down, he finds seams that aren't there. His whole style is about slowing things down. I think he is sometimes unfairly criticized when his linemates are being lazy because it can look like he is too. Krejci has had spats where he doesn't play well, but nothing like his linemates, who I genuinely believe are playing with so little effort they are bringing him way down.

Kaoz*

Horton has always disappeared for huge stretches. Even his first season here he took a two month vacation in November and December.

Amazingly, even with his OT goal in Game 5, if they lose Game 7 his line's total disappearance in that series is the biggest reason they lose. They pulled a Houdini most periods for 7 games.

This is what Horton does. He disappears. What is truly worrisome is that it seems Lucic goes with him on all these sabbaticals now.

Krejci's game is perfectly encapsulated by his nickname "the Matrix." He slows things down, he finds seams that aren't there. His whole style is about slowing things down. I think he is sometimes unfairly criticized when his linemates are being lazy because it can look like he is too. Krejci has had spats where he doesn't play well, but nothing like his linemates, who I genuinely believe are playing with so little effort they are bringing him way down.

We sure do work awfully hard to excuse Krejci. When that line coughs it up in any of the three zones he is quite often the culprit, more so then Lucic and Horton. No doubt a function of him carrying the puck up the ice more often then the other two, but often it's the places he turns it over that drive me absolutely crazy.

I have no idea how NHL.com tracks their giveaways, but I have absolutely no faith in their numbers. Guy is a turnover machine, and that is often why that line can't get anything going.

Last edited by a moderator:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
We sure do work awfully hard to excuse Krejci. When that line coughs it up in any of the three zones he is quite often the culprit, more so then Lucic and Horton. No doubt a function of him carrying the puck up the ice more often then the other two, but often it's the places he turns it over that drive me absolutely crazy.

I have no idea how NHL.com tracks their giveaways, but I have absolutely no faith in their numbers. Guy is a turnover machine, and that is often why that line can't get anything going.

Kaoz, I think you had a typo when you were talking about a turnover machine.

The guy you are talking about spells his name "L-U-C-I-C."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad