Post-Game Talk: Bruins beat Panthers 4 - 1.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This team can be so much better, they need a complete effort and we have not seen that all year.

- Bergy/Marchy/Siggy continue to roll. they are god for 1-2 goals and a dozen chances per game.

- Krejci/Horton/Lucic continue to drive me crazy. I really think Krejci is playing well. Lucic had one good shift, early on. He threw a hit and looked involved and then he disappeared again. He's ranged from acceptable to scratch worthy for a month. Horton is being Horton. I hope he wakes up soon.

- I thought Peverley was good again, he needs help.

- Chiarelli needs to stop evaluating and fix the issues.

- Rask was good but was in TERRIBLE position on the shorty.

- Speaking of the shorty, how the hell was that not a penalty? Seriously.

- The Merlot is rolling.

- I thought the defense was good. Johnson looked like a guy who has had a month off. Other than that they were good.

- The forwards need to wake the **** up. WAY too many turnovers. WAY too much passing. Get the puck, shoot the puck, crash the net, get bodies too the net, forecheck, hit. Simple game.

Big weekend. A chance to get a little revenge. Start Dooby Saturday, Rask Sunday.

Agree with all here.

I think the problems with Lucic started when he went through that crappy period where refs called him for a bunch of BS penalties, but did nothing when he gets boarded. He got really really frustrated and was basically yelling at refs for one or two games. Not sure the answer, but he hasn't been the same since.

The problem with making a move is that the West is basically a logjam. Last place team is 5 points out of 8th and 6 points out of 5th. Trades will be tough, particularly if limited to the East. None of that prohibits trades per se, but teams wll likely want roster players back -- not picks or prospects. Limits options.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
4th line is working their tails off and hustling for pucks and those not hustling for the puck are driving the net. That's why that line is producing.

Although you also have to consider that our 4th line isn't generally matched up with the opposition's top lines, so there is often more for them to take advantage of.

Most team's 4th lines are either fighting plugs or young players trying to work their way into the NHL or some combination. Our 4th line is filled with veteran hustle-it helps. I also think Thornton wants to be on the ice and not watching from the pressbox and he is contributing to stay on the ice.

There isn't anybody right now that CJ can really flip flop with anyone on the Krejci line without screwing around with chemistry on the Bergeron line.

After 2-3 years of inconsistency, Chiarelli need to make a decision on his "1st" line. Lucic was signed to an extension so... Horton and Krejci are the last man standing. I don't think the Bruins will re-up Horton unless the market is weak and/or Horton decide to comeback on the cheap. Old friend Krejci... Every season seem to be a groundhog day for him: strong stretch followed by a "where the hell is he" one. At some point, the Bruins need to make a determination about #46: 1- He's the problem and the Bruins move him in order to acquire a more consistent centerman or 2- He's not the problem and the team will have find a new winger for him. Considering all the inconsistent of this line, i'm gonna let you draw your own conclusions.Anyhow, i think the Bruins, in the off-season, are about to make some major changes. We won the Cup with the actual group but i think it's clear that it's not going to be enough to make a serious run at the Cup. A lot of players will be look at: Ference, McQuaid, Horton,Peverly,Kelly,Krejci and i dare to say Thornton ( even if i like the guy to death). Right now, this a "paper" team. We're not good as our stats says. If you put aside the strong play of Chara,Bergy's line,Rask and Khudodin, it's not a pretty sight.

Last edited:

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
Jack and Brick were overly critical last night, especially after the Bruins were up 2-1. Jack at the end of the first "Bruins looked like they were hanging on for dear life during that period". Thats not what I saw...I saw a team building a lead and holding it, which is what good teams do. The best way to leave the first period is either tied or up a goal, which is what the bruins did. Listening to the announcers it sounded like they were already getting blown out :laugh:. Overall I thought this game was an improvement over the last. They held the lead for the entirety of the game, created lots of chances and they found a way to score in the third period, not a bad game at all.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Just day dreaming about what this team would accomplish if our #1 line was an actual #1 line. Man it would be silly. Just trounce people.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Jack and Brick were overly critical last night, especially after the Bruins were up 2-1. Jack at the end of the first "Bruins looked like they were hanging on for dear life during that period". Thats not what I saw...I saw a team building a lead and holding it, which is what good teams do. The best way to leave the first period is either tied or up a goal, which is what the bruins did. Listening to the announcers it sounded like they were already getting blown out :laugh:. Overall I thought this game was an improvement over the last. They held the lead for the entirety of the game, created lots of chances and they found a way to score in the third period, not a bad game at all.

Sorry, we watched different games/teams. Once the Panthers got that shorty (which I am still uncertain if that should have been a penalty or not?) the Panthers got life, and were the better team. You started a thread about Jack and Brick, they weren`t "overly" critical, overly gives the impression that they were unfair and weren`t offering an accurate opinion of things, they were spot on. This team is capable of more, and they played ugly, which is exactly what they......and Bergy stated post game

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
only 4-1??!!! trade them all, break up the team, no cup this year!

You are delusional if you think that game wasn't closer than the final score indicated. They played like crap and have been for the last week or so. For the record, it's okay to see something that the team needs to improve upon and say it. It doesn't make you less of a fan to be honest with your assessment. Also, if they continue to try and sit on leads and stop playing, they won't win a cup this year.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You are delusional if you think that game wasn't closer than the final score indicated. They played like crap and have been for the last week or so. For the record, it's okay to see something that the team needs to improve upon and say it. It doesn't make you less of a fan to be honest with your assessment. Also, if they continue to try and sit on leads and stop playing, they won't win a cup this year.

Happy Birthday!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Cup? They`d be lucky not to get swept in round one with these recent efforts. Sorry, but Horton is #1 on my hit list, talk about playing disinterested. Has he registered a hit this year? His game is pathetic right now, Looch and DK marginally better than that but.....

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

You don't really understand much about variance, if you think that's how you can look at a box score and interpret dominance.

1 empty net goal, so let's dial back to 3-1. The 3rd goal was tremendous good fortune and hard work. Not going to take anything away from it, and it came at an ideal time. But not moments before that, it's 2-1 against Florida's farm team, and the Panthers were absolutely buzzing. It was never a blowout, not even close to one. Game was down to the wire the whole way until 7 mins left.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You don't really understand much about variance, if you think that's how you can look at a box score and interpret dominance.

1 empty net goal, so let's dial back to 3-1. The 3rd goal was tremendous good fortune and hard work. Not going to take anything away from it, and it came at an ideal time. But not moments before that, it's 2-1 against Florida's farm team, and the Panthers were absolutely buzzing. It was never a blowout, not even close to one. Game was down to the wire the whole way until 7 mins left.

Spot on, stats also show Horty and Krejci with assists for those who love the numbers game, what it doesn`t show is how pitiful their effort was last night.

So many stats are garbage, SOG, Hit count etc....all meaningless

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Florida's injury report:

Michael Caruso 2013-01-23 on injured reserve and is out indefinitely broken wrist
Ed Jovanovski 2013-01-30 on injured reserve knee
Mike Weaver 2013-03-01 on injured reserve and is expected to miss 4-5 weeks lower body
Scottie Upshall 2013-03-03 on injured reserve lower body
Jose Theodore 2013-03-03 on injured reserve and is expected to miss 5-6 weeks torn right groin
Dmitry Kulikov 2013-03-03 on injured reserve and is expected to miss 3-4 weeks sprained right wrist
Stephen Weiss 2013-03-04 on injured reserve and will miss the remainder of the season to undergo wrist surgery
Kris Versteeg 2013-03-13 on injured reserve and will miss the remainder of the season to undergo right knee surgery
Sean Bergenheim 2013-03-15 undisclosed undisclosed

So imagine us minus Rask, Marchand, Kelly, Mcquaid, Seidenberg, Thornton, Boychuk

That's who they struggled against last night.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
After 2-3 years of inconsistency, Chiarelli need to make a decision on his "1st" line. Lucic was signed to an extension so... Horton and Krejci are the last man standing. I don't think the Bruins will re-up Horton unless the market is weak and/or Horton decide to comeback on the cheap. Old friend Krejci... Every season seem to be a groundhog day for him: strong stretch followed by a "where the hell is he" one. At some point, the Bruins need to make a determination about #46: 1- He's the problem and the Bruins move him in order to acquire a more consistent centerman or 2- He's not the problem and the team will have find a new winger for him. Considering all the inconsistent of this line, i'm gonna let you draw your own conclusions.Anyhow, i think the Bruins, in the off-season, are about to make some major changes. We won the Cup with the actual group but i think it's clear that it's not going to be enough to make a serious run at the Cup. A lot of players will be look at: Ference, McQuaid, Horton,Peverly,Kelly,Krejci and i dare to say Thornton ( even if i like the guy to death). Right now, this a "paper" team. We're not good as our stats says. If you put aside the strong play of Chara,Bergy's line,Rask and Khudodin, it's not a pretty sight.

I'd be disappointed if Chiarelli traded Krejci before giving him a chance to play with a better linemate or two, be it this season or in the near future. Even as it is, he's currently producing at the same level as the #1 line even though he's skating with the ghosts of Horton & Lucic when the team's at even strength.

Give him a pair of linemates that skate & hustle like Seguin & Marchand, and he'd play more like the #1 center that he's capable of. More than anything, I'd like to see them acquire a winger to replace Horton on that line and move him to the 3rd, which is the level that he's playing at these days. Maybe a better skater would force Lucic to move his feet more.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Cup? They`d be lucky not to get swept in round one with these recent efforts. Sorry, but Horton is #1 on my hit list, talk about playing disinterested. Has he registered a hit this year? His game is pathetic right now, Looch and DK marginally better than that but.....

But it's not the playoffs, is it?

Man, talk about a whiney fanbase.

Yes, yes, I know the team's not perfect, discuss, yada yada. But there's concern and there's panic, and Boston fans always seem to trend toward the latter.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
But it's not the playoffs, is it?

Man, talk about a whiney fanbase.

Yes, yes, I know the team's not perfect, discuss, yada yada. But there's concern and there's panic, and Boston fans always seem to trend toward the latter.

Understood, and while there is plenty of time to bring the game we have come to expect from them, as it stands, as of March 15th, this team hasn`t come close to playing consistent hockey, so cause for concern isn`t unreasonable

Some whiners for sure, but with a Cup comes expectations, this team has played below our expectations, and I`d argue that the Prez/GM and Coach would say the same

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Krejci's chances of being traded are probably like 5% max. He's not going anywhere.

Lucic isn't getting traded after getting that deal, it would look awful on Chia, and the fans would hate it.

Horton's not getting traded anywhere in the East, and most likely not anywhere.

But somewhere, Chia and Clode need to admit that the first line isn't a first line, and that one of those guys has to become the most expensive 3rd line player in the East. They can't keep trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. I don't know how many times I can watch Krejci try to get it to one of those guys, and theyre a step late (because they're not fast enough). Or Lucic turn it over. Or Horton not destroying people in the blue paint the way he used to. Something has to give.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Between this and your post in the Jack and Brick thread about Bruins fans being miserable people, you're quickly being added to the list of insufferables for me (I'm sure I'm on several myself).

This isn't a fan club. People here want to discuss the games and the team and ways to impove it. If you're looking for somewhere that will be celebratory 100% of the time following a win and always looking for the positives in losses, this isn't it. For the most part, I've been pleasantly surprised at how even/realistic most folks are being about how the team has been performing. This is the ********* looking 18-4-3 team my eyeballs have seen, and they are far better than they have been playing. THAT is the issue.

I'm sure if you reply you'll call me a hater, which will make me want to jab pens into my eyeballs.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Understood, and while there is plenty of time to bring the game we have come to expect from them, as it stands, as of March 15th, this team hasn`t come close to playing consistent hockey, so cause for concern isn`t unreasonable

Some whiners for sure, but with a Cup comes expectations, this team has played below our expectations, and I`d argue that the Prez/GM and Coach would say the same

Man look no further than the coach. Claude is the kind of dude that recognizes a solid effort. He's been unhappy behind the bench for weeks now. A coach would rather go 4-6 and grab 8 points, playing the best hockey of the year (and not getting lucky), over 6-4, getting 12 points, and basically having a goalie steal points night after night.

Word is out, high glove on Khubodin, and Rask's glove isn't looking much better. Come playoff time, Claude is probably hoping he doesn't have to kill 6 of 7 penalties and have his goalies stopping 36 a night...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't know where you get your stats. Lucic has four goals.

Which isn`t acceptable. The good news, this team can play better, but I`m tired of watching Looch stand next to, not in front of the goalie and Horty? Not sure he`s registered a hit yet. When Horty is playing his game, goals or no goals, he`s at least engaged, but he`s been anything but. Really hoping it`s like last year when it took him about this much time to feel "ok" because right now, he`s a shadow of what he was when he was playing solid

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Man look no further than the coach. Claude is the kind of dude that recognizes a solid effort. He's been unhappy behind the bench for weeks now. A coach would rather go 4-6 and grab 8 points, playing the best hockey of the year (and not getting lucky), over 6-4, getting 12 points, and basically having a goalie steal points night after night.

Word is out, high glove on Khubodin, and Rask's glove isn't looking much better. Come playoff time, Claude is probably hoping he doesn't have to kill 6 of 7 penalties and have his goalies stopping 36 a night...

I`m far more concerned about this teams lack of scoring rather than our goalies (although you are correct but every goalie has a weak spot)

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Horton's not the same dude since the concussions. I feel bad for him, and I don't expect him to be more physical. In 2010-2011 Horton had over 80 mins in PIMs. Granted we're using a half season (so you'd expect 40), he's on pace for maybe 12. He's got zero nasty left. He's trying to be a pure scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad