Confirmed with Link: Bruins and Kevan Miller agree to four-year, $10 million deal, per agent Peter Fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I honestly don't know why they are so focused, and afraid of their 3rd pairing, why does it have to be the priority.

Chara,
Vatanen/Brodin
Yandle
Krug
type of top4,
who cares at that point how the 3rd pairing looks like?
That's the easiest, cheapest problem to fix in the league.

Fixed top4 would allow them to play 3rd pairing guys 10minutes a night and they have Colin and Carlo getting ready, depth is easy to add at the deadline, talent isn't.

Now that Yandle (ufa signing example) money is getting paid for our 3 rd pairing vets instead and they can afford max 1 D-player instead of 2 skilled players.
They could be contenders in the East if they werent so focused on these signings.

Two things:

An obvious one that I missed from just this year: the Vinny Lecavalier/Luke Schenn deal. It can certainly happen.

My thing though is that very few times are teams willing to bite the bullet and accept virtually nothing in return. I think that more often is the reason they don't do these deals. There are always teams ready to take these guys, but teams would rather take a shot and hope for some reason the guy returns to form, than to essentially just throw the player away. And in my opinion, that is oftentimes a fault, although understandable for wanting to maximize the value of every asset.

Those guys are off the books already, Seids/McQuaid have years left on their contracts.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I watched every Blues game in playoffs pretty well and Shattenkirk has outplayed entire roster on Blues. He has been a horse for them..Take a closer look when they play .

I think Central is saying you have to also look at the context, not just the overall play.

Think of it this way, Kevin Stevens looked like a killer playing with Mario and the Jagr, no? How well did he look without them?

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
My biggest fear when I read the people saying, "Sweeney's not done, he'll probably move McQuaid and/or Seidenberg before the season starts" is that other teams will recognize that the B's pretty much have to move one (or both) of those guys in order to build a roster that's better than the one that DNQ'ed two post-seasons in a row.

So unless the other GMs feel especially altruistic, the B's will have to entice those GMs with add-ons that are ones the B's don't want to give up (e.g. bundling prospects or picks with those bottom pairing blue-liners to get other teams to agree on a trade) or eat salary to move those players away.

It's doable, but by signing Miller before moving McQuaid or Seidenberg, Sweeney just made his job more difficult and likely impacted the return and/or cost.

goriverhawks

Nov 12, 2015
This is for all of those "Its only May 25th" folks..

Prepare your body for what's likely coming:

Beleskey-Krecji-Pasta
Marchand-Bergeron-Stempniak
Hayes-Spooner-Vatrano
Ferraro- Kelly-Connolly

Chara McQuaid
Seids K. Miller
Krug Morrow

Rask
Johnson

I'm telling you. This will be the lineup.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Sweeney seems like a guy who has a lot of plans in place that never come to fruition, so I'm not exactly optimistic about his changes of trading McQuaid, Miller or Seidenberg. I'm fully prepared for the exact same D-corps as last year.

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
As with most things, reality is somewhere in the middle. Is trading Seidenberg easy? No. There are many complications. But if DS made up his mind to put in the work, he could find a taker...and I feel confident for the full contract, or very close to it. Maybe a late pick or the ol' "future cinsiderations" coming back ala Marco Sturm.

Seidenberg is not as cooked as is accepted around here. I'd bet on a limited bounce back year, a decent year, next season...and some team looking for a vet defender will too. Someone will be up to take a chance.

As we know all too well...guys that have a clue in their own end are increasingly rare these days, it seems.

Wish I was as confident as you that Sweeney will be able to do anything. What has Sweeney done to benefit the team? Okay, the Lucic trade but in retrospect trading Jones was a huge mistake. He seems to get the short end of every trade.

As far as Seidenberg, he is done. He has never come back from the knee injury. Why would this year be any different? Not sure why another team would want him.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I for one am happy we have Killer coming back, he is easily the best of the three stay at homers and the most affordable. If Sweeney can move Seidenberg who is the biggest anchor on the team and move McQuaid I will be very happy with the moves, but I like Killer coming back he was not the problem last year.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Beleskey-Krecji-Pasta
Hayes-Spooner-Vatrano
Ferraro- Kelly-Connolly

Chara McQuaid
Seids K. Miller
Krug Morrow

Rask
Johnson

Can't tell if serious or not. There is zero chance that will be the lineup at the beginning of the season. Never can remember when such a minor move in May generated such irrational thought. Even if Sweeney is as clueless as some on here suggest, there is no way in hell he would sign Miller to a four-year deal then hang on to Quaider and Seidenberg.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Do yourself a favor and compare Kevan Miller and Johnny Boychuk's career trajectories side by side...and report back.

You might be surprised by what you find.

That's kind of like every college dropout in history saying "well, right now I have the same resume as Mark Zuckerberg and he's a billionnaire now."

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
I for one am happy we have Killer coming back, he is easily the best of the three stay at homers and the most affordable. If Sweeney can move Seidenberg who is the biggest anchor on the team and move McQuaid I will be very happy with the moves, but I like Killer coming back he was not the problem last year.

The whole defense was a problem and yes, he was a huge part of that. Plus talk about McQuaid's injury problems, what about K Miller's injury problems. He is just not worth that money and term.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My biggest fear when I read the people saying, "Sweeney's not done, he'll probably move McQuaid and/or Seidenberg before the season starts" is that other teams will recognize that the B's pretty much have to move one (or both) of those guys in order to build a roster that's better than the one that DNQ'ed two post-seasons in a row.

So unless the other GMs feel especially altruistic, the B's will have to entice those GMs with add-ons that are ones the B's don't want to give up (e.g. bundling prospects or picks with those bottom pairing blue-liners to get other teams to agree on a trade) or eat salary to move those players away.

It's doable, but by signing Miller before moving McQuaid or Seidenberg, Sweeney just made his job more difficult and likely impacted the return and/or cost.

Can't disagree with this logic at all.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Do yourself a favor and compare Kevan Miller and Johnny Boychuk's career trajectories side by side...and report back.

You might be surprised by what you find.

Well one guy at age 30 signed a 7 year 42 million dollar deal, and one, at 28 signed a 4 year 10 million dollar deal.

This was Kevan Miller's big pay day. I like him as a character player, but we are doing the same thing Chiarelli did...overpaying the bottom half of the roster.

Long time until the puck drops so no need to panic yet.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Well one guy at age 30 signed a 7 year 42 million dollar deal, and one, at 28 signed a 4 year 10 million dollar deal.

This was Kevan Miller's big pay day. I like him as a character player, but we are doing the same thing Chiarelli did...overpaying the bottom half of the roster.

Long time until the puck drops so no need to panic yet.

Before JB55 signed with NYI for 6million per....at age 27, he signed a 3.5 million x three year contract with the Bruins...and he was putting up numbers no better than Kevan Miller's.

Boychuk was a great Bruin and is looking good for NYI as well. But he also benefited greatly from playing for the strongest Bruins teams of the past few decades.

Clearly Sweeney sees more than bottom pairing upside for K. Miller...and he plays a similar game to Boychuk. I don't think he has the same offensive upside, but at 2.5mill he doesn't need to be a threat on the powerplay.

This salary doesn't suck UNLESS Miller backslides going forward. the more likely reality is that he continues to improve, get stronger and hopefully, Sweeney is able to bring in a D or two to help round out the squad.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I honestly don't know why they are so focused, and afraid of their 3rd pairing, why does it have to be the priority.

Chara,
Vatanen/Brodin
Yandle
Krug
type of top4,
who cares at that point how the 3rd pairing looks like?
That's the easiest, cheapest problem to fix in the league.

Fixed top4 would allow them to play 3rd pairing guys 10minutes a night and they have Colin and Carlo getting ready, depth is easy to add at the deadline, talent isn't.

Now that Yandle (ufa signing example) money is getting paid for our 3 rd pairing vets instead and they can afford max 1 D-player instead of 2 skilled players.
They could be contenders in the East if they werent so focused on these signings.

Those guys are off the books already, Seids/McQuaid have years left on their contracts.

You make some good points, but completely whiffed on Yandle. If you think he's going to sign for 2.5mil per, then I want some of what you're smoking. (unless you meant M&M's combined salaries, then I retract that)

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
That's kind of like every college dropout in history saying "well, right now I have the same resume as Mark Zuckerberg and he's a billionnaire now."

Boychuk took TEN years post draft before he played anything close to a full NHL season and look how he developed. Granted Miller went undrafted, but he is definitely an NHL player and possibly a fairly typical late bloomer.

He is strong and physical like JB55 and has an underrated shot. If he can work on his footwork and decision making (keep it simple, stupid) he could slot in as a top 4 defender without issue.

He is also a right shot. Like JB55.

Kevan Miller's first goal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzvY0td7JA

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Boychuk took TEN years post draft before he played anything close to a full NHL season and look how he developed. Granted Miller went undrafted, but he is definitely an NHL player and possibly a fairly typical late bloomer.

He is strong and physical like JB55 and has an underrated shot. If he can work on his footwork and decision making (keep it simple, stupid) he could slot in as a top 4 defender without issue.

He is also a right shot. Like JB55.

Kevan Miller's first goal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzvY0td7JA

LOL. There are literally hundreds of guys in NHL history whose names you could insert in place of Miller's and that meet all of that same criteria, who didn't pan out nearly as well as Boychuk. Is there a chance Miller could be the next Boychuk? Sure. Is it even a 50/50 chance? 25%? 10%? Nobody knows, but I just don't see it.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The problem isn't Millar. It's having Millar, McQuaid and Seidenberg to go along with an aging Chara. Plus, they will pay Krung.

Yes, it's only May 25th, but who can they move? and what will they need to take back.

The defense sucked last year, lets keep it in tact.:laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You make some good points, but completely whiffed on Yandle. If you think he's going to sign for 2.5mil per, then I want some of what you're smoking. (unless you meant M&M's combined salaries, then I retract that)

My point on that was that they are paying 5.25M for McQuaid and Kevan, and then there's Seids with his 4M cap hit.
There are cheaper options to replace those guys and give the cap space to talented players, players that can make an impact.

So instead of 2 skilled players they can afford 1, and only 1 doesn't turn that defense into contender.
Strong top4 would actually give them a chance to develop players on the 3rd pairing like they should be, and they'd give the lineup potential to improve, now there's just no space for them.

Top4
Morrow/Colin/Carlo/O'Gara 3rd pairing, and if need depth would be easy to add at the deadline for playoffs.
Hawks have won their Cup because of their top4, not because of their 3rd pairing.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
The problem isn't Millar. It's having Millar, McQuaid and Seidenberg to go along with an aging Chara. Plus, they will pay Krung.

Yes, it's only May 25th, but who can they move? and what will they need to take back.

The defense sucked last year, lets keep it in tact.:laugh:

Agree, in a vacuum this isn't a bad signature, but they just can't start next season with the same defense. Miller returning to a spot on the 3rd pairing will be good, but how many guys can play on the 3rd pairing? How many of them are under contract right now?!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Beleskey-Krecji-Pasta
Hayes-Spooner-Vatrano
Ferraro- Kelly-Connolly

Chara McQuaid
Seids K. Miller
Krug Morrow

Rask
Johnson

Appreciate your assurances, but I'd bet good money you are wrong -- and probably not by a small margin.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Can't tell if serious or not. There is zero chance that will be the lineup at the beginning of the season. Never can remember when such a minor move in May generated such irrational thought. Even if Sweeney is as clueless as some on here suggest, there is no way in hell he would sign Miller to a four-year deal then hang on to Quaider and Seidenberg.

I thought there was "no way in hell" LE would still be a Bruin after the TDL this past season and look how that turned out. My confidence in the decision makers is shaken to sy the least.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

We are either underestimating or Sweeney is overestimating the return he can get for either McQuaid or Seidenberg. I guess we'll find out which is right, hopefully sooner than later.

Rolling with Miller + both of them next year doesn't exactly make me thrilled to tune in next season. So if he doesn't/can't move them, I'm just not sure Sweeney going to be here long.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
I just hope they don't do too much damage before they are shipped out.

If ever an organization needed new blood, it's this one.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Before JB55 signed with NYI for 6million per....at age 27, he signed a 3.5 million x three year contract with the Bruins...and he was putting up numbers no better than Kevan Miller's.

Boychuk was a great Bruin and is looking good for NYI as well. But he also benefited greatly from playing for the strongest Bruins teams of the past few decades.

Clearly Sweeney sees more than bottom pairing upside for K. Miller...and he plays a similar game to Boychuk. I don't think he has the same offensive upside, but at 2.5mill he doesn't need to be a threat on the powerplay.

This salary doesn't suck UNLESS Miller backslides going forward. the more likely reality is that he continues to improve, get stronger and hopefully, Sweeney is able to bring in a D or two to help round out the squad.

Which is still one million more than Miller just got, four years ago. That right there should tell you there is no comparison other than they both shoot righty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad