Confirmed with Link: Bruins acquire Zac Rinaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He was offered 5.5, he wanted 7.5. Dougie with all his skills and upside has not proven he's even worth the 5.5.

This is true, but they need him WAY more than he needs them. If that was situation they should have split the difference and locked him up. You are far better off overpaying a player like that, at that age, who you know is a worst-case #2/3 dman than you are dipping into free agency or trying to steal a trade to plug the hole. It was penny-wise pound-foolish. If I didn't know it I'd say Sinden was still in charge.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
were are you getting 5.5?????

I read that that was the Bruins offer and he wanted 7.5

Maybe I have it wrong, had a lot going on in the past week.

If he signs an offer sheet with another team for 7.5 the compensation is 2 firsts a 2nd and 3rd round pick, so why not risk it?

It's not like you have anything back thats going to help you any time soon.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Considering Chara's and Seidenberg's age - factored in with the lack of anyone in the system ready to make a significant impact - how do you at least not get back something for him that can help you now?

Shouldn't have eaten half of Lucic's salary and re-signed Hamilton. Move Kelly and have some money left over...

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
BS, pure BS.

Niskanen signed for 5.75/yr and Orpik signed for 6.5/yr last year. Hamilton is already a few levels above them.

I noticed you didn't buy into the teams' spin by only mentioning Doughty and Pietrangelo when talking about people in the 6-7m dollar range. As though the players you mentioned, as well as guys like Phaneuf, Boychuk, and soon to be Sekera, Franson, and Green don't exist.

We're going to end up paying more for a worse player without any of the potential for upside.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Dougie didn't want to be in Boston

Even if true, so what? Bruins controlled him for at least 4y. If he didn't want to sign with the Bruins, let another team do the negociation and match the offer.

The Petry/Orpik/Niskanen/Boychuk/Leddy are signing for 5.5-6M these days. Even if the Bruins had overpaid a bit and signed Hamilton 7-7.5M, he would have been worth it in no time.

We got picks for a 22y #1D. A player that there is no logic reason to justify moving him. Worst first trade of a new GM ever...

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Considering Chara's and Seidenberg's age - factored in with the lack of anyone in the system ready to make a significant impact - how do you at least not get back something for him that can help you now?

Shouldn't have eaten half of Lucic's salary and re-signed Hamilton. Move Kelly and have some money left over...

Trading Hamilton is indefensible. Just plain stupid. The return make it even more laughable.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I noticed you didn't buy into the teams' spin by only mentioning Doughty and Pietrangelo when talking about people in the 6-7m dollar range. As though the players you mentioned, as well as guys like Phaneuf, Boychuk, and soon to be Sekera, Franson, and Green don't exist.

We're going to end up paying more for a worse player without any of the potential for upside.

This.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
He wasn't going to resign with Boston. He wanted out. There was really no other choice.

He didn't have a choice. If Boston matched an offer sheet. He was here for a year minimum.

The R in RFA stands for Restricted.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
He wasn't going to resign with Boston. He wanted out. There was really no other choice.

WHERE are people getting this from? Is there a legitimate source other than Sweeney saying "I think he would have felt uncomfortable signing here long term"??

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI

exactly.

the team made it sound like player compensation is static and never increases over time (as much as that might be Jacobs' wet dream).

I'll take it a step further.

PK Subban will make 9 million a year for the next 7 years. Saying Dougie isnt worth 7-7.5 is just not true.

Dont spit in my face and tell me its raining

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Kessel is dealt for picks and it's "he should have got players"
Seguin is dealt for players and it's "he should have got picks"
Hamilton is dealt for picks and it's "he should have got players"

Rinse and repeat

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Kessel is dealt for picks and it's "he should have got players"
Seguin is dealt for players and it's "he should have got picks"
Hamilton is dealt for picks and it's "he should have got players"

Rinse and repeat

No, Sweeney got this right - nothing to see here. If they where worried about an offer sheet at 7.5 the compensation would have been better than what they got...all draft picks.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Go back and read through the lines in the Hamilton thread.

He wasn't signing here even if they gave him what he wanted

Why is it tough to understand that as a restricted free agent, if he signed an offer sheet and Boston matched it meant.....

He was signing here.

Not happy about it? That $6.5m/yr will make you feel better Dougie.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Go back and read through the lines in the Hamilton thread.

He wasn't signing here even if they gave him what he wanted

I have seen no reputable source report thatand I'm not going through that thread again. if you are going to perpetuate that info then please provide a link or a quote

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I just don't see why we traded a 3rd round pick for Rinaldo when we could have likely grabbed BJ Crombeen from free agency. 6pt per year players you usually can just pick up and not have to trade for.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
I just don't see why we traded a 3rd round pick for Rinaldo when we could have likely grabbed BJ Crombeen from free agency. 6pt per year players you usually can just pick up and not have to trade for.

hell, dont even need to pay that much.

you're telling me you cant get 1g 1a over 82 games out of Robbins or Camara?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
No, Sweeney got this right - nothing to see here. If they where worried about an offer sheet at 7.5 the compensation would have been better than what they got...all draft picks.

I don't love the deal - but I see the appeal of getting three picks now in the first 50 of a deep draft over the uncertainty of having to match an offer sheet that would bring picks years from now or deal with a holdout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad