Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The view from Philadelphia

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-trade-Zac-Rinaldo.html

After a draft in which he was praised, Flyers general manager Ron Hextall made his second deal in three days Monday, sending feisty left winger Zac Rinaldo to Boston for a third-round pick in the 2017 draft.

Almost immediately, the Twitter hashtag #InHexyWeTrust began trending in Philadelphia.

Rinaldo, 25, supplied energy but lots of ill-advised (read: knuckleheaded) penalties during his five-year stint with the Flyers. He had a goal, six points, five fights, and 102 penalty minutes in 58 games last season.

Rinaldo, who made his Flyers debut during the 2011 playoffs, was a sixth-round pick in 2008. He has two years left on his deal with an annual salary-cap hit of $850,000.

New Bruins general manager Don Sweeney is hearing criticism in Boston for his draft selections and for failing to get enough when he dealt defenseman Dougie Hamilton to Calgary. But he traded a fairly early 2017 draft pick for Rinaldo.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
He also immediately becomes our best hitting forward...You know, maybe create some turnovers...maybe keep the puck down low for faceoffs so the offense gets a zone start ?

The 3rd round pick sucks to lose, but it's two years away. stressing about it now makes zero sense.

There's like 200+ games of evidence that this doesn't actually happen when he's on the ice. Much more likely that he goes out of position and the other team gets a scoring opportunity and a faceoff in their offensive zone.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Glad to see there is still some level headedness here... Funny but if the existing Bruins played like they gave a **** and actually stuck up for one another or had someone that would go out to fire the team up none of this would have been needed...

Again, who is our leading hitting forward that is returning?? Wait for itttt...

REILLY SMITH 74 HITS.

and I am eagerly awaiting the Reilly 'Hits' Smith greatest hits collection from 2015....

cause I cant remember a single one off the top of my head.....

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He also immediately becomes our best hitting forward...You know, maybe create some turnovers...maybe keep the puck down low for faceoffs so the offense gets a zone start ?

The 3rd round pick sucks to lose, but it's two years away. stressing about it now makes zero sense.

WBC8...I think the stress over the Rinaldo overpay is more a result of people already being so disappointed with the Hamilton debacle. It's an overpay by any objective measure and a clear win for Philly, but it's a 3rd round pick not a top prospect. Moreover, Rinaldo sucks, and knowing Claude Julien, he's not going to let Rinaldo spend all night in the box very often. He will make something of this jackass or he will send him to the press box. So worst case it's a thrown away third rounder.

I think everyone is making so much of it for fear of what comes next. I still point to the Lucic deal as a clear win, as clear as this was a loss. But the Hamilton loss was staggering, and everyone is still raw about that. For good reason. Everyone is on edge for the next terrible deal that sets us back another couple years.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
WBC8...I think the stress over the Rinaldo overpay is more a result of people already being so disappointed with the Hamilton debacle. It's an overpay by any objective measure and a clear win for Philly, but it's a 3rd round pick not a top prospect. Moreover, Rinaldo sucks, and knowing Claude Julien, he's not going to let Rinaldo spend all night in the box very often. He will make something of this jackass or he will send him to the press box. So worst case it's a thrown away third rounder.

I think everyone is making so much of it for fear of what comes next. I still point to the Lucic deal as a clear win, as clear as this was a loss. But the Hamilton loss was staggering, and everyone is still raw about that. For good reason. Everyone is on edge for the next terrible deal that sets us back another couple years.

There has to be a lot about the Hamilton / Bruins / Julien marriage we don't know about.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I picked a draft year at random, far enough back that the players should be in the NHL now, this is the 2008 3rd round

62 Justin Daniels (C)
63 Robert Czarnik (C)
64 Danick Hudon-Paquette (RW)
65 Jori Lehtera (C) Finland
66 David Toews (C) Canada
67 Marc-Andre Bourdon (D)
68 Shawn Lalonde (D)
69 Michael Stone (D)
70 James Livingston (RW)
71 Josh Brittain (LW)
72 Jyri Niemi (D)
73 Kirill Petrov (RW)
74 Andrew Campbell (D)
76 Mathieu Brodeur (D)
77 Michael Hutchinson (G)
78 Lance Bouma (C)
79 Zack Smith (C)
80 Adam Comrie (D)
81 Corey Fienhage (D)
82 Adam Henrique (C)
83 Marco Cousineau (G)
84 Jacob De Serres (G)
85 Brandon McMillan (C)
87 Ian Schultz (RW)
88 Geordie Wudrick (LW)
89 Scott Winkler (C)
90 Tomas Kundratek (D
91 Max Nicastro (D)

As a random sample there are several players better then Rinaldo and many busts, when you get to the 3rd round you need good scouting to find players that will help your team. All I have heard after last Friday's draft is how badly the Bruins picked in the first round and reached for two players they could have taken later. Most of the players from the 3rd round of the 2008 draft will never play in the NHL, Rinadlo will make a contribution this year to the Bruins, one they desperately needed. Maybe Randell could have taken his spot, maybe the Bruins will put Randell and Rinaldo on the fourth line (I can hear the screams now from a segment of HF regulars). While Sweeney has given me no reason yet to have faith in him I like to think he negotiated with Hextall and this is the best he could do, if so I'm thrilled they have Rinaldo.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Rinaldo isn't anywhere near as good a hockey player as Cooke, and I say that hating Matt Cooke and I'm the rare Flyers fan who doesn't hate Zac. But you're right. He's no enforcer. He's a pure agitator who'll drop the gloves but his best attribute fighting is that he does it with the same high energy that he does everything else with, so when he's getting his face beat in he's doing it with gusto and generally still trying to land punches.

Zac's got four things going for him: 1) He can really skate, 2) He might just be the best hitter in the league - he has the ability to completely crush and hurt guys twice his size with completely legal checks 3) He's got a good motor - he's a very high energy player, 4) He's got a screw loose.

Zac's got four things not going for him as well: 1) He can't actually play hockey, 2) He gets lots of borderline or outright unfair reputation calls that end up killing the team, 3) He can't think the game at all - a very low IQ player, 4) He's got a screw loose.

LOL, thanks that clears up a lot of questions. :nod: We've had "crazy" here before as has Philly... If Clode outlasts him on the bench I'll be surprised.

Let's forget about the 3rd (which has only a 7% chance of turning into a NHL player) and focus on the player acquired. When Rinaldo is on the ice everyone on the opposing team plays different. He make people tentative and that alone makes people make plays a little faster than they usually do. He takes away time and that is good thing.not every factor of hockey shows up on a stat sheet. I'm not going to celebrate the acquisition, but the sky is not falling because we gave up a 3rd for Ronaldo who probably won't play much more than half the games.

There ya go...

It's like people complain for the sake of complaining. The Bruins were sleepwalking thru most of the season last year, practically unwatchable! They bring in a guy who will give the team much needed energy and instead people are lamenting about losing a 3rd round pick who will most likely never make it to the NHL.

If the B's got Ovechkin for a 6th rounder and salary retained, we'd still be moaning and groaning that he's got an ugly face.

Loving the crying from the fans of the pansy brigade from last year. Rinaldo is dirty, mean and plays with an attitude. He is a perfect fit for the fourth line. Low cap hit and signed for two years.

Sweeney may have overpaid a little, a third round choice in 2017, if he ever even makes the NHL, would not be ready 2020 at the earliest. I'm sure the people complaining would be thrilled if it was a seven goal scorer from Russia who could skate better, never hit anybody and played soft.

Looks like they may be trying to become tough again. While I hated the Hamilton return I like this, at least he will replace Lucic's physicality if not his offense.

Exactly: This is hockey, it's nasty and bloody and supposed to be entertaining. Yes he's a **** stirrer but if he were injected into the lineup last winter don't you think Looch would've maybe woken up? I do.

Love the defending of this deal. The guy is not an NHL player. He is a dirtbag, not a "tough guy." He does more harm than good being on the active roster. He is not worth a draft pick. Not even a 2230 19th round pick.

Since he gets paid as an NHL player, he's a professional (albeit an unprofessional one). At least give the guy a few games as a Bruin before hating on him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW: IF he lines up Pacioretty, and especially Dale Weisse, or Subban and pounds the pud out of them I guarantee that at least half of us will be on the Rinaldo bandwagon at least for a day.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Can we get Andrew Ference back? I know he's not good anymore and we. Ant afford him but for we already have plenty of that here and I think his presence, holding us all , rocking back and forth, telling us it's going to be alright

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
I picked a draft year at random, far enough back that the players should be in the NHL now, this is the 2008 3rd round

62 Justin Daniels (C)
63 Robert Czarnik (C)
64 Danick Hudon-Paquette (RW)
65 Jori Lehtera (C) Finland
66 David Toews (C) Canada
67 Marc-Andre Bourdon (D)
68 Shawn Lalonde (D)
69 Michael Stone (D)
70 James Livingston (RW)
71 Josh Brittain (LW)
72 Jyri Niemi (D)
73 Kirill Petrov (RW)
74 Andrew Campbell (D)
76 Mathieu Brodeur (D)
77 Michael Hutchinson (G)
78 Lance Bouma (C)
79 Zack Smith (C)
80 Adam Comrie (D)
81 Corey Fienhage (D)
82 Adam Henrique (C)
83 Marco Cousineau (G)
84 Jacob De Serres (G)
85 Brandon McMillan (C)
87 Ian Schultz (RW)
88 Geordie Wudrick (LW)
89 Scott Winkler (C)
90 Tomas Kundratek (D
91 Max Nicastro (D)

As a random sample there are several players better then Rinaldo and many busts, when you get to the 3rd round you need good scouting to find players that will help your team. All I have heard after last Friday's draft is how badly the Bruins picked in the first round and reached for two players they could have taken later. Most of the players from the 3rd round of the 2008 draft will never play in the NHL, Rinadlo will make a contribution this year to the Bruins, one they desperately needed. Maybe Randell could have taken his spot, maybe the Bruins will put Randell and Rinaldo on the fourth line (I can hear the screams now from a segment of HF regulars). While Sweeney has given me no reason yet to have faith in him I like to think he negotiated with Hextall and this is the best he could do, if so I'm thrilled they have Rinaldo.

For what it's worth, MA Bourdon probably would have made more of an NHL impact except for concussions (and how he handled them, but that's a different story). He certainly had the talent to make it. Flyers have a couple of other 3rd round picks who are close to making it, so a 3rd has some value.

As for Rinaldo, I loathed him on the Flyers (as a Flyers fan). He can hit...but his reputation preceded him to the NHL, and he gets called for everything, even clean hits. And he doesn't seem to care about the suspensions he gets, just thinks it's how things work. This is before we get to his lack of hockey talent. He is terrible at picking his spots, he can't fight, and he has no hands. He will provide nothing of value, and has only had one partial season where he drew more penalties then he took.

He's a complete liability on the ice, despite being a hard worker who claims he wants to improve defensively. He just isn't capable of it. Giving up a 3rd rounder was a waste of assets for the Bs, but as a Flyers' fan I will totally take this. Sorry Bs fans. You want a hitter, you've got one. You want someone who improves your team? You do not have that.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Can we get Andrew Ference back? I know he's not good anymore and we. Ant afford him but for we already have plenty of that here and I think his presence, holding us all , rocking back and forth, telling us it's going to be alright

The only thing rocking back and forth would be his head from trying to stick up for this team

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Wish we had Tampa or Anaheim's scouts the past 5 years, those teams are stacked right now and are still loaded with a ton of good prospects.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
So what if Sweeney hit on this draft? We can go back over every draft to see what the experts said, and I bet they missed on plenty of guys.

It's a good point. Those three first round picks could still prove that Sweeney is much better than people are suggesting. It's his trades that seem questionable at this point. Has he said that he was acquiring picks with a plan at trading for the third overall pick (to draft Hanifin)? It was a bold move if so, it's still way too early to cast judgement on the guy. But a third round pick for a marginal player is an overpayment, especially not at the trade deadline.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
There has to be a lot about the Hamilton / Bruins / Julien marriage we don't know about.

I'm not sure it's a "marriage" situation with Julien so much as he realizes Dougie may not be all that. Points aside, I do question whether he has the footwork to be a real #1 d-man. Often flat-footed, rarely physical or assertive in his own end. That said, he's definitely a top-pairing guy who is still their best all-around defenseman, and they don't seem to have anyone knocking on the door. If you lose him you either acquire someone as good or better right away (tbd) or you tank because the rest of this defense sucks.

The solution was to pay him $6-6.5 for as long as he wanted and go from there. By not doing so they have set this franchise back years for no real good reason other than a minor financial disagreement on his worth. It's Harry Sinden all over again.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I'm not sure it's a "marriage" situation with Julien so much as he realizes Dougie may not be all that. Points aside, I do question whether he has the footwork to be a real #1 d-man. Often flat-footed, rarely physical or assertive in his own end. That said, he's definitely a top-pairing guy who is still their best all-around defenseman, and they don't seem to have anyone knocking on the door. If you lose him you either acquire someone as good or better right away (tbd) or you tank because the rest of this defense sucks.

The solution was to pay him $6-6.5 for as long as he wanted and go from there. By not doing so they have set this franchise back years for no real good reason other than a minor financial disagreement on his worth. It's Harry Sinden all over again.

It certainly feels that way.

You pay Chris Kelly 3 million, re-sign McQuad at 2.75 - eat half of Lucic's salary and deal Hamilton because he wants 5.5 million? Awful is the only word I can think of.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Yeah but that third could be used to get a decent player or be part of a package or hell an offer sheet. We can't OS this year or next year now.

It's the principle of the damn thing. It's unlikely that third will mean much but that's not a reason to toss it unnecessarily at arguably the worst or second worst player in the league. And this is after Sweeney was on the ****ty end of a complete disaster trade.

I don't care how many third rounders amount to something - less 6th and 7th rounders do. And that's what it would have taken if this stupid trade had to happen.

Sweeney is getting hosed for the second time and demonstrating he clearly sucks at understanding value of his and other players. Telling me a third round pick doesn't matter (which it does) won't change that.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Offer sheets are rare and if thats the ace Sweeney had up his sleeve then he needs a new plan...

That's the reason we had to trade Dougie the way we did.

I'm not saying he's going to offer sheet or not to trade picks because of offer sheets but it would really suck if next year there was a player we thought we could get with an offer sheet and we can't because we gave it up for ****ing Rinaldo.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

You pay Chris Kelly 3 million, re-sign McQuad at 2.75 - eat half of Lucic's salary and deal Hamilton because he wants 5.5 million? Awful is the only word I can think of.

were are you getting 5.5?????

I read that that was the Bruins offer and he wanted 7.5

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
That's the reason we had to trade Dougie the way we did.

I'm not saying he's going to offer sheet or not to trade picks because of offer sheets but it would really suck if next year there was a player we thought we could get with an offer sheet and we can't because we gave it up for ****ing Rinaldo.

They could have risked the offer sheet, considering what they got. Could have matched or let him go - i'ts not like they got any NHL ready talent for him.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

He was offered 5.5, he wanted 7.5. Dougie with all his skills and upside has not proven he's even worth the 5.5.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
They could have risked the offer sheet, considering what they got. Could have matched or let him go - i'ts not like they got any NHL ready talent for him.

Okay that's not really the point of what I said and I agree with you on. The point was that offer sheets are a possibility.

But I digress - basically I'm just saying this is a question of asset management and Sweeney failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad