Confirmed with Link: Bruins acquire Zac Rinaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So go grab a couple guys off the scrap heap. There's more 4th line hitters sitting out there that you can grab for free.

There's no need to give away a 3rd round pick for a plug.

Hell, just call up Robbins and Camara. Bam, problem solved for the league minimum and you don't lose a pick

Robbins is probably done and Rinaldo is a much better hitter and fighter than Camara. I think Sweeney has made some huge mistakes so far, but giving up a third round pick, who traditionally has a minimal chance of making the NHL for somebody who hits and can skate is not a bad deal.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Hey maybe the guys like Chara and Bergeron can reel him in and we can really have a nice 4th line **** disturber , hitter that fires up these dead beats?

Change of scenery helps sometimes no?

Isn't a change of scenery what we are hoping for with Connolly? I mean we gave up two high picks for him no?

*cue they aren't the same player while missing the point

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Let's pretend the Bruins have an image problem

Let's pretend the Bruins get the least amount of calls of any team year in and year out like clockwork

So once we're done pretending that, do you think that adding one of the top 10 NHL pests is going to....help? You can make your 4th line a good checking effective line without doing that. And you can certainly do it without giving away a 3rd rounder.

If they added a line of nuns it wouldn't help, they have a reputation that is one of a big, tough team. They certainly were not this last season and did not get any additional calls.

I say embrace the reputation and live it, become big and tough and dirty again. Let Marchand play his game like he did in juniors, let Rinaldo hammer people with questionable hits, bring in more guys who are despised throughout the league.

I have been told that if I don't like what the Bruins are becoming to go watch MMA, it seems Sweeney and Neely are more in line with the type of hockey I like so I would say to the people that don't like players like Rinaldo, think McQuiad is over paid and terrible and hate physical hockey to go watch soccer or just listen for when Eriksson and Smith are on the ice, you have nothing to fear from them if you don't like tough hockey.

Be the Bruins of the 70's or the Broad Street Bullies, let other teams circle your games on the schedule because they hate the thought of playing you, make players like Kessel worry about playing against you because they know they will be hit and chopped at every chance. Be mean, tough and talented.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
I mean, I feel this is what it's like to be a Leafs fan.

I actually think Sweeney is worse than any GM we've ever had. JFJ would be the only comparable, but at least he wasn't terrible at drafting. Sweeney could be setting you back 10 years. What's the over/under on him being fired in the next 12 month?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
This was posted on the trade board :laugh:

73 forwards in history have played 200+ games for the Philadelphia Flyers...

Least GPG: Rinaldo
Least APG: Rinaldo
Leat PPG: Rinaldo

108 skaters in history have played 200+ games for the Philadelphia Flyers...

Rinaldo has the 5th worst GPG after Luke Richardson, Brad Marsh, Ed van Impe and Wayne Hillman.
Rinaldo has the worst APG.
Rinaldo has the 2nd worst PPG after Luke Richardson.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I actually think Sweeney is worse than any GM we've ever had. JFJ would be the only comparable, but at least he wasn't terrible at drafting. Sweeney could be setting you back 10 years. What's the over/under on him being fired in the next 12 month?

The beauty of it all is that JFJ has a voice at the table. So....

I have a feeling that JFJ is going to be involved in TWO terrible Rask trades.

But at least we're returning to a style of hockey that no winning team plays anymore.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hey maybe the guys like Chara and Bergeron can reel him in and we can really have a nice 4th line **** disturber , hitter that fires up these dead beats?

Change of scenery helps sometimes no?

Isn't a change of scenery what we are hoping for with Connolly? I mean we gave up two high picks for him no?

*cue they aren't the same player while missing the point

Connolly was a high 1st round pick and also we were glad that we had a chance to have new younger, faster, energetic 4th line were we would actually have nhl players but now we won't have that, what a nightmare.

Defending on that we wanted toughness and campbell is gone, yes campbell is gone but it doesn't mean you have to get a ........... worst player in the nhl to put into 4th line, the guy is useless.

We've lost Hamilton and Lucic this weekend and brought Rinaldo in who will be in the lineup, what a mess.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

So what if Sweeney hit on this draft? We can go back over every draft to see what the experts said, and I bet they missed on plenty of guys.

Southern Gentleman B

May 1, 2011
Brevard, NC
Haven't read the whole thread, but wasn't it Rinaldo who KO'ed Iginla in a game against the Flyers in late 2014? Many were complaining about the lack of response from hardly any Bruins last year when the situation called for it. Quader, occasionally Kelly, Campbell was about it. I believe we have our man now, and he can throw punches with the best of them.

A 3rd is pretty steep, but I'm okay with this move. At least we shouldn't be holding our heads low in shame like we did so many times last year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Connolly was a high 1st round pick and also we were glad that we had a chance to have new younger, faster, energetic 4th line were we would actually have nhl players but now we won't have that, what a nightmare.

Defending on that we wanted toughness and campbell is gone, yes campbell is gone but it doesn't mean you have to get a ........... worst player in the nhl to put into 4th line, the guy is useless.

We've lost Hamilton and Lucic this weekend and brought Rinaldo in who will be in the lineup, what a mess.

What time does the season opener start tonight?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It was pretty much their mantra in the late 90s/early 00s, and it wasn't just young players. If you wanted to get paid, you were pretty much a camp hold-out, traded, both, or simply allowed to walk as a UFA.

Allison
Carter
McLaren
Guerin
Dafoe
Kessel

I won't include Seguin and Thornton as they were already re-signed when the Bruins promptly traded them.

Were any of those a mistake?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
One thing I just realized about Rinaldo is that he and Talbot played with each other in Philly so maybe they are hoping Talbot can help keep him in line because of his familiarity with Rinaldo...

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Why are people so concerned about keeping Rinaldo in line?

He's equally effective in the box as he is on the ice. He's god flipping awful at hockey. That's the issue. Doesn't help that he's a *******. Think of the worst team in the NHL, and that's basically Rinaldo's team whenever he's playing. He has speed? Wonderful, the guy plays as though he's unaware there's a puck on the ice. Which is pretty important in the post-CTE NHL.

What an embarrassment.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What time does the season opener start tonight?

We've used our best assets already and have little cap space. Are we going to steal players?

Signing Beleskey/Stewart as a UFA would only make this worse.

How do you create a long time contender?

You push young players into bottom6 and let them develop there and contribute and move them up when they are ready to be impact players, but I guess we don't know that.

How can you honestly defend getting the worst player in the nhl and paying a 3rd to get him? Philly would have given him a way.

I want toughness and hits, but they should be nhl players who can contribute and our biggest issue was scoring(23rd in the league) and brutal zone exits, we've only made those worse.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Why are people so concerned about keeping Rinaldo in line?

He's equally effective in the box as he is on the ice. He's god flipping awful at hockey. That's the issue. Doesn't help that he's a *******. Think of the worst team in the NHL, and that's basically Rinaldo's team whenever he's playing. He has speed? Wonderful, the guy plays as though he's unaware there's a puck on the ice. Which is pretty important in the post-CTE NHL.

What an embarrassment.

His next suspension is going to cost him 15 games minimum that's why people are concerned about keeping him in line.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
His next suspension is going to cost him 15 games minimum that's why people are concerned about keeping him in line.

Would be the best thing for the Bruins. Hopefully the one after that is for the rest of his contract.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
We've used our best assets already and have little cap space. Are we going to steal players?

You push young players into bottom6 and let them develop there and contribute and move them up when they are ready to be impact players, but I guess we don't know that.

How can you honestly defend getting the worst player in the nhl and paying a 3rd to get him? Philly would have given him a way.

I want toughness and hits, but they should be nhl players who can contribute and our biggest issue was scoring(23rd in the league) and brutal zone exits, we've only made those worse.

Yeah, we've taken actual weaknesses and made them worse, and addressed perceived weaknesses by overpaying for them.

jokerboysmith

May 5, 2003
Planet Nebula
Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread, but wasn't it Rinaldo who KO'ed Iginla in a game against the Flyers in late 2014? Many were complaining about the lack of response from hardly any Bruins last year when the situation called for it. Quader, occasionally Kelly, Campbell was about it. I believe we have our man now, and he can throw punches with the best of them.

A 3rd is pretty steep, but I'm okay with this move. At least we shouldn't be holding our heads low in shame like we did so many times last year.

Agree with this

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
We all know this team has zero elite offensive talent so we are going to need scoring from every line.

Rinaldo in the lineup doesn't help at all and if we have a lineup where we have zero 1st line wingers and talbot+kelly+rinaldo in the lineup then how many 1 goal games are we going to see? I very much doubt we can score 3-4 goas even against Arizona.

Lack of scoring talent has nothing to do with a 4th line banger, who's job is to wear down the opposition and hopefully draw penalties against other teams elite offensive talent.

You keep acting like Rinaldo skating 7-10 minutes/night will be the difference between being the 25th or top 10 ranked offense. Bottom line hopefully this lets Claude use the 4th line like a 4th line so that maybe just maybe we can squeeze more offense out of 3 scoring lines instead of watering down every line to play equal minutes.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

About the same chance as the Leafs wining the cup - None.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lack of scoring talent has nothing to do with a 4th line banger, who's job is to wear down the opposition and hopefully draw penalties against other teams elite offensive talent.

You keep acting like Rinaldo skating 7-10 minutes/night will be the difference between being the 25th or top 10 ranked offense. Bottom line hopefully this lets Claude use the 4th line like a 4th line so that maybe just maybe we can squeeze more offense out of 3 scoring lines instead of watering down every line to play equal minutes.

It has a lot to do with it, we are going to need scoring from every line, how do you expet to win games without any 1st line wingers and plenty of 4th liners who souldn't play in the nhl?

I'm not saying rinaldo is the difference between 10th and 25th, but all these mistakes are adding up and making us bit by bit weaker.

Rinaldo will only take stupid penalties, he will do nothing good for us.

Isn't the plan to ice the best team possible? isn't the plan to win games? Why do you get players into your roster who shouldn't see any icetime?
There is no explanation to give rinaldo icetime when we have prospects growing up in the ahl and because he can't play.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI

eh, not really. he's on McQuaid's level at best.

I remember Lucic ragdolled him pretty good.

Also last March, he pulled a Subban against McQuaid. Quaider laid out Voracek and Rinaldo came over and got in his face. McQuaid dropped his gloves and Rinaldo stood there with super glue on his palms.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
It has a lot to do with it, we are going to need scoring from every line, how do you expet to win games without any 1st line wingers and plenty of 4th liners who souldn't play in the nhl?

I'm not saying rinaldo is the difference between 10th and 25th, but all these mistakes are adding up and making us bit by bit weaker.

Rinaldo will only take stupid penalties, he will do nothing good for us.

Isn't the plan to ice the best team possible? isn't the plan to win games? Why do you get players into your roster who shouldn't see any icetime?
There is no explanation to give rinaldo icetime when we have prospects growing up in the ahl and because he can't play.

If we have no talent in our top 3 lines what magical talent are we going to put on our 4th to score goals :shakehead.

Rinaldo will take his share of dumb penalties , but he'll also draw more penalties than any current Bruin.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

He also immediately becomes our best hitting forward...You know, maybe create some turnovers...maybe keep the puck down low for faceoffs so the offense gets a zone start ?

The 3rd round pick sucks to lose, but it's two years away. stressing about it now makes zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad