Post-Game Talk: Bruins 4, Pens 3 - SCR Combined Corsi < 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
He wasn't. He filled in for Wilson as Wilson got a 10 minute misconduct. Filling in isn't being rewarded, IMO.

He was on when we had the extra attacker during the last minute. There are other players who try hard game in and game out and are just flat-out better players who should've taken that spot. This stuff isn't new. Every time Kunitz gives a half decent effort he's rewarded for it. It's straight out of the Dan Bylsma handbook for success. Adams used to have a good period or try hard for a game, and he'd be rewarded too. It's the same old BS.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah they are clearly in "Let's get this month over with" mode. I'm fine with it as long as they CAN flip the switch. The team looks bored and not interested. Nobody cares about the details. They just want to skate around and get to the playoffs.

But will those bad habits really come back to haunt us?

Only if they are still "bored" come the last stretch. If you finish the reg season "bored" and just wanna get to the playoffs you'll lose. Finish strong, finish hard. Final stretch in March play like crazy mofos looking like a team wanting to get another cup. Play desperate hockey, play like you have 1 purpose.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah they are clearly in "Let's get this month over with" mode. I'm fine with it as long as they CAN flip the switch. The team looks bored and not interested. Nobody cares about the details. They just want to skate around and get to the playoffs.

But will those bad habits really come back to haunt us?

I don't like the idea of a team cruising and letting bad habits enter their game at any point in the season.

It's one thing to maybe not be going 100% every shift; you know, bail out of blocking a Shea Weber slapshot here or there, avoid a puck battle where you're likely going to get smoked. That kind of situation, I can sort of see them holding back. But overall general effort?

If they were losing games because they were playing average hockey -- not great, but not bad -- then I'd be more inclined to think they're holding something back for the playoffs. But it seems like when they lose, they collective do not show up.

I wonder how much of that is complacency. This is the exact same roster (barring 1 or 2 guys) who won the Cup last year. I think JR should have moved some of the dead weight out and switched up about a quarter of the roster (so about 4 to 5 players) so there'd be guys on the roster who haven't won yet and are hungry to show up every game.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Kessel looks like he always has. He isn't a problem. Move on. Hes trending career in assists and on pace for lower end of average on goals.

It's clear everyone is holding back from full potential. If game one of the playoffs, they are looking lackadaisical still, then they will be failing to flip that switch.

I'm not going to freak out every bad game again this year. Until they turn in garbage when it matters.

If playing on 6 instead of 11 has us top three in the east, who cares if we aren't on 18 game win streaks? They'll be able to crank it to 11 without half the team hobbled with lingering injury.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I think they should try Sheary-Crosby-Kessel for a few games. Might give Phil and Sid some spark.

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Kessel looks like he always has. He isn't a problem. Move on. Hes trending career in assists and on pace for lower end of average on goals.

It's clear everyone is holding back from full potential. If game one of the playoffs, they are looking lackadaisical still, then they will be failing to flip that switch.

I'm not going to freak out every bad game again this year. Until they turn in garbage when it matters.

If playing on 6 instead of 11 has us top three in the east, who cares if we aren't on 18 game win streaks? They'll be able to crank it to 11 without half the team hobbled with lingering injury.

I don't even know what this means.

The regular season is a process. We get that. But unless the Pens as a whole are trolling everyone, there is a lot of work to do.

None of the lines really make much sense and we're now approaching February. Ask the Caps about "flipping switches" or any actual Stanley Cup winning teams since the '98 Wings.

Nothing about this team this season says "repeat."

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I don't even know what this means.

The regular season is a process. We get that. But unless the Pens as a whole are trolling everyone, there is a lot of work to do.

None of the lines really make much sense and we're now approaching February. Ask the Caps about "flipping switches" or any actual Stanley Cup winning teams since the '98 Wings.

Nothing about this team this season says "repeat."

Look man. What else can I tell myself to maintain sanity? :D

I gotta be positive or ill blow a gasket and chant to burn it down like Nov 2015. No other excuse besides collective energy savings. Otherwise, none of these players deserve crap this year.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bonino has to sit when this team is healthy. He's pathetic.

Really like the Schultz Dumoulin pairing. They have the look of two guys who can wheel. Dumoulin can move the puck but he sort of defers to Schultz, letting Schultz get involved in plays more.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Good to see Backes defending the honor of the US World Cup of Hockey team, backing up his solid 2 games played for the successful US team with an inspirational fisticuffs with the lazy hack who didn't make the team, but had the nerve to say something about it.

Ugh and people wonder why the NHL drags in popularity and can't attract fans :shakehead

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Good to see Backes defending the honor of the US World Cup of Hockey team, backing up his solid 2 games played for the successful US team with an inspirational fisticuffs with the lazy hack who didn't make the team, but had the nerve to say something about it.

Ugh and people wonder why the NHL drags in popularity and can't attract fans :shakehead

NHL unable to attract fans...how about the DoPS and the fact Marchand got two goals when he should be suspended for the slew foot on Kronwall the other night? Apparently that is now an accepted hockey play.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
We have four days (!) before the next game. In the meantime...

All-Purpose thread is here
Roster Building / Cap thread is here
Expansion Draft thread is here
And the Murray / Fleury thread is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad