Post-Game Talk: Bruins 4, Pens 3 - SCR Combined Corsi < 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I know that Kessel scored, but he looks AWFUL now. Really AWFUL. 5 on 5 and on the powerplay as well. He is losing the pucks on the powerplay in Kunitz´s style now. Everytime he gets the puck for a longer time there, I´m expecting the clearance from the opposition.

I know its counterintuitive, he raked a tons of points on PP he makes descent passes when not challenged but he drives me also crazy with so many bad passes, plus if he gets pressured puck is gone

5 on 5 won't even bother to comment

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
I know that Kessel scored, but he looks AWFUL now. Really AWFUL. 5 on 5 and on the powerplay as well. He is losing the pucks on the powerplay in Kunitz´s style now. Everytime he gets the puck for a longer time there, I´m expecting the clearance from the opposition.

Agree with the 5 on 5, disagree with the PP. He looked pretty bad tonight in particular though.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I wouldn't mind finishing 4th in the division and playing Montreal. :popcorn:

Don't think we're winning the division unless JR gets active. This team's gonna sleepwalk to the playoffs.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Getting Dumo back is a negative. -8 in his last 5 games. And you guys think he deserves draft protection? ha ha.

Crosby needs to be called out for his string of terrible efforts and games. At least skate man. FN watched another player leave the Ozone as he stared them down in his coast glide back on the SHGA.

Sully is a moron and in full Bylsma mode with his lines. He continues to play Crosby on his worst line combo all season. I thought he was much more intelligent, but apparently not. He is going to be buried wearing an HBK shirt.

Sheary played well as did Horny and Kunitz. Losing our best player (Malkin) really hurt.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, you expect to have struggles minus G, Tang and Cullen but whoever said Sully isn't doing his job is correct.

SCR + HBK takes 2 lines totally out of the game before you even drop the puck every night.

Yeah whomever said Sullivan isn't doing his job as of late are right, those 2 lines are momentum pushers for the other team. He needs to work on some stuff during the break as well, because if this continues, we're in Bylsma 2.0 territory.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Don't think we're winning the division unless JR gets active. This team's gonna sleepwalk to the playoffs.

they reported that JR said that he does not see anyone better and he is not planning to make a move (maybe bluff...)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
they reported that JR said that he does not see anyone better and he is not planning to make a move (maybe bluff...)

Na. I've become fluent in JR. He's looking. Fleury wanting out may give him the kick in the butt with approval from ownership to create cap space.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

Somebody (on the main board) mentioned that he looked like was about to die during every shift tonight.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You are not wrong about Bonino and Hagelin.

At the same time, Kessel has been a train wreck with those two when he gets the puck.

Yup. I don't expect Kessel to perform miracles but at the same time, once he's got the puck, I expect him to look like an elite player. He's playing down to their level. I'm not sure him actually having wheels and a pass would change things all that much, but it would be a start.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I wouldn't mind finishing 4th in the division and playing Montreal. :popcorn:

About as man as I thought about Sid-Sheary with an impact RW rather than Rust (not Horny or Kessel, because . . . well, I'm sure you've figured it out by now . . . )

I don't care what the reason is, Hornqvist needs to go back on that line. Crosby was dominating on SCH. It's just stupid, whomever it's coming from, to not go back to the one line that produced most consistently.

ruunto71*

Jul 5, 2016
Do people really blame refs? Shots were 37-22 for Bruins. Pens are very lucky they only lost by 1 goal they were completely dominated tonight.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
That 1st line leaves a lot to be desired. I think Rust and Sheary are too easily overwhelmed in the dzone. There just isn't enough size/strength there to be able to count on them getting the puck out with any sort of frequency. We can probably get away with one of them there, but both of them is asking a little too much, especially when our dmen are playing poorly or when we don't have our full compliment of guys. Sid spending the majority of the game playing around our own goal line is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Crosby isn't trying. Geno is the real captain.

Phil is the worst player ever.

Yup. It's mid season alright. Let's learn from past seasons and not criticize these guys because Sullivan is setting them up for failure. Gotta be tough to bust your ass every game when you know you are at a disadvantage from the get go due to bad line combos.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Crosby isn't trying. Geno is the real captain.

Phil is the worst player ever.

Yup. It's mid season alright. Let's learn from past seasons and not criticize these guys because Sullivan is setting them up for failure. Gotta be tough to bust your ass every game when you know you are at a disadvantage from the get go due to bad line combos.

Yeah they are clearly in "Let's get this month over with" mode. I'm fine with it as long as they CAN flip the switch. The team looks bored and not interested. Nobody cares about the details. They just want to skate around and get to the playoffs.

But will those bad habits really come back to haunt us?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Oh...and can we stop rewarding Kunitz every time he makes an NHL play or gives an honest effort for a period? It's nauseating as a fan and I can only imagine how it affects the morale for the other guys who are paid to play for the Penguins organization. He's "coddled" as much, or more as Fleury. The sooner it stops the better off the team will be.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Is it an agenda to not like SCR or to mock the one poster here who insisted the PP is better off without Geno? Just trying to keep track . . . :laugh:

I was actually referring more to RG predictably becoming a harsh goalie critic when another guy is in net after years of turning a blind eye to all of Fleury's laughable goals against.

Though I do think making the GDT and PGT largely about Geno when he didn't even play tonight is a touch over the top. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sullivan really needs to **** off with these line combinations.

STOP PUTTING RUST ON CROSBY'S LINE. Like Jesus Christ, enough already.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh...and can we stop rewarding Kunitz every time he makes an NHL play or gives an honest effort for a period? It's nauseating as a fan and I can only imagine how it affects the morale for the other guys who are paid to play for the Penguins organization. He's "coddled" as much, or more as Fleury. The sooner it stops the better off the team will be.

He wasn't. He filled in for Wilson as Wilson got a 10 minute misconduct. Filling in isn't being rewarded, IMO.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
You have to wonder if he's playing through something. Hopefully it's only him suffering from Kesselitis.

He basically has the same body type as Ovechkin. Like Ovechkin, I think Phil should probably pick and choose his spots a bit better during games in order to maximize his effectiveness. I don't want to see him go full lazy, and stand still in the circle or full-on cherypick, but there's probably a happy medium somewhere. I'm not smart enough hockey-wise to know what that is though. I would guess that it would entail playing with a center who can draw some defenders to him and hold on to the puck for more than a second at a time. Not sure if we have one of those. :naughty:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe Phil should be on the 2nd unit. Don't know what righty you put on the 1st in his place though.

He sounded very frustrated in the post game interview.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Maybe Phil should be on the 2nd unit. Don't know what righty you put on the 1st in his place though.

He sounded very frustrated in the post game interview.

With his line? His position on the PP? I didn't get a chance to hear it. Can you recap that?

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
That 1st line leaves a lot to be desired. I think Rust and Sheary are too easily overwhelmed in the dzone. There just isn't enough size/strength there to be able to count on them getting the puck out with any sort of frequency. We can probably get away with one of them there, but both of them is asking a little too much, especially when our dmen are playing poorly or when we don't have our full compliment of guys. Sid spending the majority of the game playing around our own goal line is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, this was always the biggest struggle. Idk if it's just size, but they consistently struggle to stop the cycle early. Hornqvist generally helps with that. Sheary and Crosby had no issues with Hags or Hornqvist in that area, but with Rust it's consistently been an issue. I thought maybe Sullivan could coach some of those issues out, but it's been a while and I haven't seen any significant improvement there. They just don't seem to break the cycle aseasily.

Offensively it's great, they can really sustain pressure when it is in the zone, and for all the complaining of the Rust not making the plays, Hornqvist was arguably worse in that aspect. Rust seemed like the offesnive chemistry was picking up.

Transitioning it's okay, but they're not really executing the dump and chase right, which they'd probably not be terrible at with their speed. Problem is I don't think they want to take all those late high hit mid season that games like these will happen.

When Hornqvist is there, he may not have the speed, but they know he'll hit them hard enough to mess them up. Sheary and Rust don't have that. Kunitz has that when he only has to play 10 minutes a night. Maybe Wilson has that. Hags is somewhere in between when he's playing away from Bonino.

HBK actually didn't have a terrible night like they have in the past. They actually had SOME solid chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad