Post-Game Talk: Bruins 4, Pens 3 - SCR Combined Corsi < 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
These last two games were just the universal balance being restored after the wildly enjoyable Carolina and Boston blowouts.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I love Rusty but he's just not at the level of being able to contribute offensively against the better shut-down lines of the league. Maybe he'll get there one day, but he doesn't have it yet.
And I'm going to puke if Kunitz's period of effort gets him back into top 9 minutes. The dude is as selfish as they come and will quickly revert to the floater that he is. He's easily the most selfish guy on the team.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's also infuriating to see Sid play such lazy hockey.
Ever since SCR has been put together, it's been a slow decline of his "give a ****abilty".
Remember Sid at the World Cup and scoring every night to start?

Sure it's a little bit of it's the dead of winter/the long hard season taking it's toll but you can do things to keep him engaged.
Sending SCR out every night isn't gonna get him there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don't blame the refs, blah, blah, blah,...

But there are games where these guys have a direct result in the outcome, and thus game was one of them.

Looks like they're back in pre Washington shootout mode. They were playing like crap before that, then the great week, now back to crap. Kind of a theme this season, no . . . you think they've turned a corner and are ready to roll, then they take a step back?

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Wonder what happens if we don't give up that cheap goal on our own power play. Was that all Sheary or was there a dumb line change as well? I asked because it feels like we've conceded a few on bad line changes this season.

I don't wanna get too over the top because Sullivan's fixed it every time things have looked janked up so far but, well, this looks janked up. Sheary-Crosby-Rust doesn't get it done. Kessel is seemingly incapable of driving play on his line and Bonino is seemingly incapable of playing at an NHL standard. I don't know how you change this team up but something has gotta give, particularly once we get Geno back.

If Crosby with Horny isn't going to be a thing, can we go get a version of Horny he will play with?

lol, when the other two parts of your line barely ever pass to you or effectively use your speed, have stone hands and seemingly no chemistry since last season, you can't drive **** unless you're Crosby or Malkin, and if you're expecting that from Kessel you have insane expectations from your players.

The line sucks and has no synergy, end it or be doomed to have a completely ineffective line. Kessel needs the puck to do stuff, that line never has the puck and doesn't have the composition to even get the puck back when they don't have it. It's dead.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's also infuriating to see Sid play such lazy hockey.
Ever since SCR has been put together, it's been a slow decline of his "give a ****abilty".
Remember Sid at the World Cup and scoring every night to start?

In terms only of the optics and possession numbers, Sid has played his worst hockey this year on SCR.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
lol, when the other two parts of your line barely ever pass to you or effectively use your speed, have stone hands and seemingly no chemistry since last season, you can't drive **** unless you're Crosby or Malkin, and if you're expecting that from Kessel you have insane expectations from your players.

The line sucks and has no synergy, end it or be doomed to have a completely ineffective line. Kessel needs the puck to do stuff, that line never has the puck and doesn't have the composition to even get the puck back when they don't have it. It's dead.

You are not wrong about Bonino and Hagelin.

At the same time, Kessel has been a train wreck with those two when he gets the puck.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
For those mentioning the refs... They were a (negative) factor, but this team wasn't doing anything positive for most of the game. It wasn't until the Bruins took the lead that they thought, "oh ****, we should start playing."

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
the good news is that Sid will get some rest and hopefully come back reinvigorated, cause we are not getting anywhere with him playing like this,

him watching marchand skating down on that shortie and not even bother was so Ovie like...something is wrong

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Blues getting blown out again. Yet they completely shut us down 2 nights ago.

Perhaps we are playing down to teams?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
the good news is that Sid will get some rest and hopefully come back reinvigorated, cause we are not getting anywhere with him playing like this,

him watching marchand skating down on that shortie and not even bother was so Ovie like...something is wrong

What rest? The poor ****er is flying from one side of the country to the other for a glorified warm up

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
You are not wrong about Bonino and Hagelin.

At the same time, Kessel has been a train wreck with those two when he gets the puck.

He's gotten progressively worse the longer he's played with them, at the same time I didn't see them get him the puck with any sort of consistency during the course of the entire game.

Seriously, like I can't remember them passing directly to him during the entire game. I like to think I watched the game pretty closely but I may have missed it. It is a rare occurrence after all.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Still a long ways to go but I can see us playing the jackets in the first round. Caps will win division again

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's gotten progressively worse the longer he's played with them, at the same time I didn't see them get him the puck with any sort of consistency during the course of the entire game.

Seriously, like I can't remember them passing directly to him during the entire game. I like to think I watched the game pretty closely but I may have missed it. It is a rare occurrence after all.

Thing is, his play on the PP almost as bad or worse most of the time.

As I said, it's hot dog season until March. So, like last year, you judge Phil by when the games really matter. That's just how it is with him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bottom line is every game they start with SCR + HBK right now they're putting themselves into a hole.
Or they fluke out 5 or 6 goals with it and stick with it for another 2 weeks and it eventually runs dry.

On the plus side tonight, looks like the BJ's well probably lose.
ETA: Eek. 3-2 Preds now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Still a long ways to go but I can see us playing the jackets in the first round. Caps will win division again

I'd love to prevent the Jackets from winning a playoff round in their history. And the Caps again from getting out of the 2nd round.

Tall task, but it'd be pretty damn satisfying.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
our press that follows Pens is so funny, all these easy questions, and Sully refuses to bite, give him credit he is not giving any excuses

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
just so many times in the last couple games I was thinking how much we need a big fast skating defense man with a mean streak. :(

Fordy

May 28, 2008
the all star break better involve a long period of hammering sully over the head with the stats on these lines. advanced and otherwise, they're ugly

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd love to prevent the Jackets from winning a playoff round in their history. And the Caps again from getting out of the 2nd round.

Tall task, but it'd be pretty damn satisfying.

I wouldn't mind finishing 4th in the division and playing Montreal. :popcorn:

just so many times in the last couple games I was thinking how much we need a big fast skating defense man with a mean streak. :(

About as man as I thought about Sid-Sheary with an impact RW rather than Rust (not Horny or Kessel, because . . . well, I'm sure you've figured it out by now . . . )

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Thing is, his play on the PP almost as bad or worse most of the time.

As I said, it's hot dog season until March. So, like last year, you judge Phil by when the games really matter. That's just how it is with him.

He's made the occasional mistake but that's just hyperbole. Like seriously, it's just not true at all. His PP play is not even close to whats happening 5v5. Chances are made and plays made, high skill plays, on that PP, many set up by Kessel. Literally nothing is happening 5v5, like Kessel may as well go out there and skate a couple circles before heading back to the bench, the effect would be about the same.

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I know that Kessel scored, but he looks AWFUL now. Really AWFUL. 5 on 5 and on the powerplay as well. He is losing the pucks on the powerplay in Kunitz´s style now. Everytime he gets the puck for a longer time there, I´m expecting the clearance from the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad