Post-Game Talk: Bruins 3, Devils 2 (SO) - a wild ride indeed

HF Three Stars of the game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

the additional speed throughout the lineup this season should make a noticeable difference. not saying it will result in more wins, but they certainly should at least look more competitive.
also youth and a fully improved structure as well as strength on defense - we really cleared the front of the net last night. Yeah a couple of cross ice passes got through on the power play - but Murray, Kulikov, Smith and even Tennyson gave us a much better look in the middle of the ice in our end.

Better stop taking penalties against them. Their power play is their edge on us. I think they are thinner this year without Krug and Chara and some others but can still muster an amazing 1st pp unit.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Bratt-Hughes-Gusev line would be too small. That line won't work, except maybe power play. Also, no shooters.
Bratt’s a filthy sniper, he doesn’t shoot a ton but he puts it in basket. Hughes and Gusev together could be a problem, they’re both playmakers with weak shots who get goals by flinging a lot of pucks at net.

Obviously Goose’s shot is better right now, how could it not be, but he’s a volume shooter. Everybody loves how Gusev played after Hynes was fired, and he was a delight, but his shot kind of went to hell after his hot start in October. After December 3rd, Goose only had 3 5v5 goals along with his team leading 15 assists.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Can't wait for the rest of the league to find out Blackwood is a top 5 G in the game.

Getting that feeling.
The performance last night was the best of his career. If he can turn in a bunch more like that this season he might see some Vezina votes at the end of the year.

Edit: At least one from Fitz

Reactions: Oneiro

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ
Was last nights game a sellout opener?

Boy, I felt as rusty as the guys in the first period. Mac looks really mature out there besides a scary rebound. We just gotta stay out of the box. Glad Wood got rewarded but does he have one move?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
One take that I just found from the Boston board about last night's game that is always nice to see is this.

"I thought NJ looked like the bigger, faster team for long stretches. They threw some pretty high hits and ran the goalie 3 times and it felt like they were turning the tide a bit with their physical play."

We are no doubt a smaller team, as Boston is one of the biggest teams in the NHL, but the fact that even they thought we were playing like the bigger team is a huge improvement over the absolute lack of physicality over some of these past seasons. I definitely noticed us connecting with a lot of our hits during the third period, and its clear Boston fans were noticing how well we were doing it as well.
Yeah, Wood called his penalties selfish but I’m always partial to running goalies, particularly talented ones. Ok, maybe running them isn’t a great plan and Wood should learn how to bump into goalies rather than crash the net.

I’m still convinced that the Leafs’ loss to the Blue Jackets is largely due to the fact that they never got within 5 feet of CBJ’s goalie much less gave them a hard time. Players need to torment goalies rather than pumping up their Corsi by shooting “high danger shots” while an unscreened goalie is staring right at them.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I'm surprised a lot of people are disappointed in Johnsson. I thought he was solid, nothing amazing, but solid. He has really really good defensive stickwork and I noticed at least three times where he just cleanly stripped the puck away with no problem. He was also engaging physically a lot, which is good for his size, and was crashing the net a surprising amount of times.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Jack Hughes was the most frustrating player to watch yesterday, and yes he was good in OT, he always will be good 3 on 3.

This guy will be between a second and third center. He just does not have have good hockey IQ. If he was selected in the 4th round, people would have enough of him already. In case Devils keep losing games, his teammates are going to call him out on this: He can't pass. Nothing frustrates players more than grenades. They will tell him eventually. He makes plays that don't exist, passes into skates, makes backhanded passes after dangling to confuse the line mates, and loses the puck each time. He can not make a simple tape to tape pass, he is random, has no shot, and can't play D. He has an awesome 1-2 step and good dangling (that's why fans thing he is great), but that's it. Yesterday he did look way more mature than first year though.

To be honest, besides Nico Hisher (2C), this entire team does not have much talent at all. Not a single player that would be on a first line on a good team. Watch Makar play and see what talent means.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I'm surprised a lot of people are disappointed in Johnsson. I thought he was solid, nothing amazing, but solid. He has really really good defensive stickwork and I noticed at least three times where he just cleanly stripped the puck away with no problem. He was also engaging physically a lot, which is good for his size, and was crashing the net a surprising amount of times.

Yea I was a fan of his game last night, as well.

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

To steal a quote from that article, from head coach Bruce Cassidy, "“Clearly that will be talked about tomorrow," Cassidy said in his postgame video press conference. "That part of it because that’s not something we want to be a trend, and we have plenty of guys in our lineup that can take care of business in that regard." "
Saturday is probably going to be a battle if we keep running through Rask (which I am absolutely all for)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Good bout last night ladies and gents. A nice start to the season with promising performances from both clubs. Other teams in the division had some rough goaltending performances but Rask and Blackwood put up great games to get going. The first period was harsh for you guys but once things settled the play was largely even.

Loved Miles Wood, and Hughes looked like he was shot out of a canon most of the night.

No ill will from this Bruins fan, I'm looking forward to another crack at it tomorrow!

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Good bout last night ladies and gents. A nice start to the season with promising performances from both clubs. Other teams in the division had some rough goaltending performances but Rask and Blackwood put up great games to get going. The first period was harsh for you guys but once things settled the play was largely even.

Loved Miles Wood, and Hughes looked like he was shot out of a canon most of the night.

No ill will from this Bruins fan, I'm looking forward to another crack at it tomorrow!
Definitely! Bruins played real solid!

One guy that I liked from the Bruins side was Nick Ritchie. Got that nice goal on the powerplay and just kept noticing him a lot throughout the game.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Jack Hughes was the most frustrating player to watch yesterday, and yes he was good in OT, he always will be good 3 on 3.

This guy will be between a second and third center. He just does not have have good hockey IQ. If he was selected in the 4th round, people would have enough of him already. In case Devils keep losing games, his teammates are going to call him out on this: He can't pass. Nothing frustrates players more than grenades. They will tell him eventually. He makes plays that don't exist, passes into skates, makes backhanded passes after dangling to confuse the line mates, and loses the puck each time. He can not make a simple tape to tape pass, he is random, has no shot, and can't play D. He has an awesome 1-2 step and good dangling (that's why fans thing he is great), but that's it. Yesterday he did look way more mature than first year though.

To be honest, besides Nico Hisher (2C), this entire team does not have much talent at all. Not a single player that would be on a first line on a good team. Watch Makar play and see what talent means.

Post of the year nominee right here.

NJersey

Apr 16, 2019

is this a facebook comment

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The performance last night was the best of his career. If he can turn in a bunch more like that this season he might see some Vezina votes at the end of the year.

Edit: At least one from Fitz
Yeah, he should get that one vote but it’s tough to get more if we’re a non-playoff team. In fact, looking over Vezina voting last few years it looks like Schneider in 2015-16 was the last non-playoff goalie to get multiple votes. It was a quick look, maybe I missed someone. Probably not, GMs don’t care much about guys who don’t make the playoffs. Blackwood’s chances of gaining attention will improve a lot with a heavier work load now that Crawford’s gone though.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I like to think his face looked like Prince Charles in your avi there while he was typing this.

Nah

md7oc91kcxr31.jpg

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Makar was playing against Quinnipiac in front of 3,000 people in Amherst, Massachusetts when he was Jack's age. Not lining up for faceoffs across from Patrice Bergeron. Just stop.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
With Blackwood I'm down to just one big concern: that his stellar play will inflate our record and hurt our draft position the way Cory did when he got here. It's why I hope that they manage his minutes and don't feet him a ton of games even though he's a much stronger goalie than anyone else we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad