Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eqk8Cg-XMAIJZ-s.jpg

Last edited:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Jack looked better physically but overall I felt like it was basically more of the same as last season. Palms was pretty bad tonight. Blackwood is a GOD

His first period was rough, but I thought Hughes was the best player on the ice in the 3rd period and overtime. Set up both goals, had a couple other chances, and generated about 4 prime opportunities in overtime.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Lmao. Bryce on the postgame basically saying that Wood’s gonna be effective flying down the wing because the goalie won’t know whether Wood’s gonna shoot or run him over

Blackwood was the mvp this game. Hughes picked it up in the third and OT. Palms looked really bad. Gusev, wide open net my dude come on lol. yeezy looks great. Zacha actually had some great moments, maybe he can thrive under Ruff. But if not bottom 6 guy with top 6 talent and great on the PK isn’t bad. Boqvist looked good. McLeod looked solid and so did his line.

shootout, man gotta work on it.

smith settled in. Need to be better on faceoffs and need to control the ozone more. This game could’ve been over in the first of it wasn’t for Mack being so good.

typical wood game lol. But he scored and looked engaged. Can’t wait for Nico and Bratt to get back, team should be better than we are tracked to be.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Blackwood Wood Sharingovich definitely stood out....Hughes is bigger which is good....Zacha was active too not a bad first game compared to some of the others openers ...T Rask made some good saves as well.....Good game overall

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
His first period was rough, but I thought Hughes was the best player on the ice in the 3rd period and overtime. Set up both goals, had a couple other chances, and generated about 4 prime opportunities in overtime.

I don't really put any stock into the Smith assist at all. He just sent the puck back to the point. The Wood assist was nice though and something he wouldn't have been able to do last year. Him being good in OT wasn't surprising to me. He was good at that last year too.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m not sure how to describe it but Hughes looks “off” .
Like his hands and feet are going too fast for his brain. Seems on the verge of being out of control . Shows glimpses of good talent but nothing amazing . I know he is very young yet but I still don’t see anything in his game that makes me think he is going to be a legit 1c all star

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Sharangovich belongs, guy can absolutely rip the puck too.

PP is still horrific, I don’t understand how hard it is to gain the zone and set up

Hughes still leaves a lot to be desired

Penalty Kill still way too passive and always leaves the backdoor pass wide open(why is Nas still here?)

Palmieri was awful

Wood still doesn’t have a brain

Boqvist, Bastian, McLeod all good in their roles

Severson not good

Blackwood is our franchise player

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Great size, speed, hands, and compete. A little immaturity in his game, but I feel like he's going to be helping the team win games soon. I thought he looked very good out there.
I agree and they put him out in key situations in the game and he looked like he should be out there....

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don't really put any stock into the Smith assist at all. He just sent the puck back to the point. The Wood assist was nice though and something he wouldn't have been able to do last year. Him being good in OT wasn't surprising to me. He was good at that last year too.

That's okay, he got on the puck first and made a good pass back to Tennyson which left enough time for the d to d and a dangerous point shot from Smith. With assists like that it's not that the play is spectacular, it's that if you control the puck in the offensive zone and move the puck quickly and accurately, you will accumulate medium to high danger chances and a certain number will go in.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Thought McLeod and Bastian were great on the 4th line. Would love to see Wood with them on that line when Bratt gets back.

Wasn’t impressed with Kuokkanen
I agree

Sharangovich Hughes Palmieri
Bratt Hischier Gusev
Zacha Zajac Johnsson
Wood McLeod Bastian

Boqvist and Kuokkanen gets rotated in on the 4th line for McLeod and Bastian.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
If we play like that every night, well... we probably won't make the playoffs, but we'll be on the fringe, and that's damn good if Buffalo and the Rags suck as they did tonight. It'll be tough to catch the Isles or Boston... but who ever really knows with Philly and Pitt is looking as frayed around the edges as we've ever seen them. They've always been two lines deep, but I think the defense and goaltending are going to be questionmarks all season long.

The surprise for me was Rango or Shaggy or Sharon. Whatever you want to call him.
4th line was good. Kuokkanen a little less visible, but overall noticable in a positive way.
The same stuff from Hughes, Zacha, Wood, Boqvist that we've seen before so they all could be big plusses, or minusses... we'll see.
Bad game by Palms but he's known to have early season clunkers. Goose started well but didn't look that great later.
I think Murray and Kulikov have the potential to settle the defense down a bit - Kulikov less so, but at least on the PK and giving some physical abuse. Pretty good stick.
Murray was good, solid - didn't notice him for much of the game, and when I did it was positive.
Smith was shaky as hell early and then settled down and looks like he'll be a decent player for us.
Subban got better as the game went on.
Severson was classic Severson in both the good way and the bad way.

Bratt will be in on the 1st line, pushing Shaggy down and Kuokkanen out. Nico will probably push Hughes down and Zacha to the wing and maybe Bastian/Boqvist out - or MacLeod out and Zacha/Zajac down.

Don't know where Butcher or Vats fit except one will take Tennyson out.

I'm fully expecting we'll see everyone this season once injuries and the tight schedule kick in.

All -in -all pretty darn decent start considering how ugly the first period looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad