Injury Report: Bruins 2022 Injured List

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
All LTIR and IR designations are automatically retroactive. The filing paperwork requires the team to specify the date of the player injury.
Thanks. I was messed up the the email that said they placed Forbort on LTIR retroactively and Foligno on whatever the date was. So, retroactive for days, and exemption for when the team places them on LTIR for cap calculations?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Patrice Bergeron, whose exquisite career has been defined by forever being in exactly the right spot on the ice at precisely the right time, and most often making the perfect play, could be nowhere to be seen when the Bruins open Stanley Cup play Monday night at the Garden.
Bergeron, 37, again didn’t practice on Sunday and has not been seen since exiting the Bell Centre Thursday night with an unspecified injury, logging only 5:36 in the final game of the regular season.
Will he be on Causeway Street at 7:30 p.m. Monday, to begin the postseason journey toward his second Cup? No telling for sure, but the vibe wasn’t promising Sunday around Camp 65 Wins.

To be expected, the Bruins offered scant guidance following their half-hour workout in Brighton. Also to be expected, upper management did its best to tamp down any concern their captain, team cornerstone, faceoff horse, and face of the franchise might have to take a pass that doesn’t include a 6-ounce chunk of vulcanized rubber.

It was an extra day’s rest, said general manager Don Sweeney, elaborating little more beyond that terse assessment.

“If he feels well enough, he’ll play,” said Sweeney, later adding, “Patrice doesn’t need extra days of practice.”

OK, check that box. He also didn’t need an extra game on his resumé Thursday night, but so it goes.

About a minute later, noting the club played well in the four games Bergeron didn’t suit up this season, Sweeney added, “We’re not focused on that.”

Okey doke. Pay no attention to whether the man in the No. 37 sweater, the one that one day soon will hang from the Garden rafters, is or isn’t behind the curtain come puck drop.

Team president Cam Neely, when asked if Bergeron’s time out could be protracted, said he did not have a “full download from the training staff for any kind of timeframe for him.” Neely then deflected to whatever Sweeney had to say earlier on the matter of “player availability,” at least acknowledging what close followers of the team have to be wondering.

“Obviously . . . not having Patrice on the ice the last couple of days,” noted Neely — decades ago, Individual One in these will-he-or-won’t-he-be-able-to-play? scenarios — “I’m sure there’s . . . obviously . . . questions are warranted.”

Because of who he is and what he has meant to the Bruins’ success for most of two decades, there’s a risk of making too much of what Bergeron’s injury and possible absence could mean. Like ex-captain Zdeno Chara before him, he is essentially player-coach. Respect is profound among his teammates, be it on or off the ice. As Bergeron goes, so goes the franchise, especially as the stakes grow greater.

Prior to faceoff in Montreal, coach Jim Montgomery compared Bergeron to Jean Beliveau. Le Gros Bill was the beloved center considered by Montrealers as the conscience of the Habs franchise. He played with grace, dignity, gravitas . . . forever in the right place at the right time, delivering with humble, understated perfection.

Bergeron is out there whenever the Bruins need a goal, and when the other team needs a goal — the definition of a complete player. It has been that way here for years, and it has continued in his twilight. His effort, grace, and execution on hard ice have been equaled in recent years only by what the world witnessed summer after summer from Roger Federer on Wimbledon’s lush lawn.

All eyes for the opening faceoff Monday night will be fixed on that door at the end of the Bruins bench, and whether Bergeron, perhaps in his career adieu, leads out the team that he in so many ways defines.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The way they're talking about Bergeron, I'm almost certain he got a concussion on the hit from Pezetta. There's no way it's the flu if he was at the rink.

And if it was Pezetta, I want blood next year in the worst way.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
The way they're talking about Bergeron, I'm almost certain he got a concussion on the hit from Pezetta. There's no way it's the flu if he was at the rink.

And if it was Pezetta, I want blood next year in the worst way.
It's hard to tell, but at this point it doesn't seem like it's just a stomach bug for sure. I just saw the latest Behind the B, and Bergeron was in the room addressing the guys after the Montreal game. The guys all seemed in good spirits, but the hug that Pasta gave Bergeron was very ginger. Usually you'd expect a huge backslapping hug after the last game of a record breaking season. It was surprisingly subdued.

I realize I'm analyzing a hug, but we aren't getting anything from the team, soooooo.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It's hard to tell, but at this point it doesn't seem like it's just a stomach bug for sure. I just saw the latest Behind the B, and Bergeron was in the room addressing the guys after the Montreal game. The guys all seemed in good spirits, but the hug that Pasta gave Bergeron was very ginger. Usually you'd expect a huge backslapping hug after the last game of a record breaking season. It was surprisingly subdued.

I realize I'm analyzing a hug, but we aren't getting anything from the team, soooooo.

Yea if hes sick they would want him home resting I would think. Not getting riled up watching the game and interacting with the boys in person.

Definitely seems like the injury is more serious than they are letting on.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Yeah, the other thing it could be is ribs. The Pezetta hit got him along the dasher and it could have been that, or that could have aggravated something else. And they were talking about how tough he is so maybe he has a broken rib? And they're being cagey because they don't want Florida to know and to target it?

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
So management says he's good enough that he can just jump right into the playoffs with no practice, but they felt it necessary to play him in the last meaningless game to keep him sharp?

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
So management says he's good enough that he can just jump right into the playoffs with no practice, but they felt it necessary to play him in the last meaningless game to keep him sharp?
wanted to play in front of his family, first time I can remember it being called out specifically that they were in attendance or he was asked about "playing in his home province".

take that information as you will

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
I mean, I'm not an NHL coach, but I can't help but be 'Ted Lasso' mad about this. I get Bergy probably wanted to play in Montreal one last time, but injured this bad on a meaningless last game of the season? Then the team being cagey about is he sick? Is he hurt? It's bothering me even though it shouldn't.
I am just speculating here. Please do not interpret my post as if I have any insider information. I do not!

Anyways, If he played in Montreal, it's reasonable to assume he was healthy for that game. Maybe Bergy felt he needed to keep his game at a high level? There is a lot of speculation about this injury. He has had a concussion history as all of us know. I have heard, elbow (from spittin chiclets), ribs as well.

One thing I will say about bruised or broken ribs, as I have suffered from this injury numerous times and can speak from personal experience. The 1st 2 weeks, it's hard to breathe, sleep, cough, laugh etc due to tenderness. After that, it gets better and the tenderness heals. By 4 weeks, you are almost at 100% and good to go. At 6 weeks, fully healed. If it's ribs, he'll be back. Concussion? Who knows? Unpredictable. Elbow? I have no experience with elbow injuries other than a bursa sac. Here is hoping for a healthy Bergeron! They can win this series without him.

I still think this is going to be a tough series. The Panthers played well. Ullmark was awesome.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am just speculating here. Please do not interpret my post as if I have any insider information. I do not!

Anyways, If he played in Montreal, it's reasonable to assume he was healthy for that game. Maybe Bergy felt he needed to keep his game at a high level? There is a lot of speculation about this injury. He has had a concussion history as all of us know. I have heard, elbow (from spittin chiclets), ribs as well.

One thing I will say about bruised or broken ribs, as I have suffered from this injury numerous times and can speak from personal experience. The 1st 2 weeks, it's hard to breathe, sleep, cough, laugh etc due to tenderness. After that, it gets better and the tenderness heals. By 4 weeks, you are almost at 100% and good to go. At 6 weeks, fully healed. If it's ribs, he'll be back. Concussion? Who knows? Unpredictable. Elbow? I have no experience with elbow injuries other than a bursa sac. Here is hoping for a healthy Bergeron! They can win this series without him.

I still think this is going to be a tough series. The Panthers played well. Ullmark was awesome.

If it is a concussion you never know, but it sure seems like it is a very minor one. if he had a sever concussion he wouldn't be in the building watching games etc

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The irony of all of this is often times players play through injury in the playoffs and you don’t hear about it until after, all the while complaining about their poor play. The bruins now have the luxury of not needing this injured player to go through that but it’s still looked at with this worrisome negative lense.

If the bruins were a 7th seed and drew Carolina, bergeron plays and struggles, maybe they beat Carolina but then don’t make it far

The goal is longevity here folks. Breathe

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This looks like a guy who is weeks away from playing

Not a game time decision guy
If he truly is going through injury and illness both at once then I think we're looking into this clip way too much. Maybe his cardio has suffered from this bug which is why he looks so gassed at the end? Idk, either way too hard to tell what's up from 20 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad