Confirmed with Link: Bruins 2015 & 2016 2nd Round Picks to the Lightning for Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I think he's the second coming of Cam Neely. About the same size, grew up a few minutes from Neely's hometown, traded around the same age.

putabergeronthegrill

Oct 31, 2011
I'm stoked for this guy. Can already tell he will work his ass off. Would love to see him on Bergy and Marchands wing. If Smith could be successful there, imagine what this guy would bring!!

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
I'm stoked for this guy. Can already tell he will work his ass off. Would love to see him on Bergy and Marchands wing. If Smith could be successful there, imagine what this guy would bring!!

Picked up Tampa's garbage for 2nds. Hope he becomes a smith type player.

AlpineLager

The way she *** goes
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick
I think he's the second coming of Cam Neely. About the same size, grew up a few minutes from Neely's hometown, traded around the same age.

Although you're probably being sarcastic, he certainly wont become the fighter Cam was no matter how much weight he puts on. His right hand was crushed when he was a kid. Watch his draft video - they touch on it. He seemed like a cocky little *******.. smackin gum right in Stevie Y's ear

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

Couldn't agree more. With His skating style and net drive, he would a be perfect winger for Bergy. Bergy could help turn him into a 30 goal scorer.

Really????? Well like they say another's man trash is another mans treasure.

putabergeronthegrill

Oct 31, 2011

I don't think you understand how it works. Look who Connolly was playing behind in Tampa. Drouin. Palat. Kucherov. Callahan. He is also 18th in the league in 5v5 goals compared to average ice time. His 12 goals puts him 5th on our team.

Now, try creating an actual argument.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Just got in from work, firstly I'd like to say well done to them getting Connolly over, hes got great skills and can really shoot, I was in favour of the idea earlier in the season when they looked at getting him, so welcome aboard, I think he will be a pleasent surprise for us here. Now secondly, where hes gonna play?

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
This kid has 12 goals playing on the freaking 4th line. Imagine him in a legit scoring position next to Krejci or Bergeron...Really looking forward to this. A mold of Horton. 22 years old.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
He's become a solidly physical forward, with a great shot and who maybe has 30 goal upside. Sad to see him leave Tampa, because he was only playing up to a high level in the last few months and we need the physicality but oh well. Enjoy. I hope the picks we got in return turn out to be good!

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Seems like a risky trade. 2 second rounders is a lot to pay.

However. Very cheap cap hit and high upside.

A former 6th overall pick.

Hopefully, Connolly becomes a legit player for us and gets some major ice time to prove himself.

Right handed, right winger, highly regarded in the past. Pulling for this trade to be a steal. If not, we just wasted a major part of our draft stockpile.

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010
Was nice to see this move last night just before i went to bed. Today was less successful but Talbot is a nice addition to any playoff team and especially for this Bruins team and for Caron.

Connolly does feel like Horton in that the Bruins' brass targeted a player they liked and paid fair value for him. Different in that he's not a veteran NHLer under contract, but rather a cost controlled potential Top 6 player who is immediate help too.

Would be real nice if he could develop into a consistent scorer. It's a great opportunity for him, I think.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

Boychuk, Seidenberg, and Mcquaid didnt seem like big moves at the time but they were huge steals by Chia hes due for another big hit its been too long hopefully this one works out for us and Connolly becomes a consistent 20 goal scorer

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011

ROFL. That's an insult to Cam Neely. Nobody is the next Cam Neely.

Lucic, is the toughest, most talented power forward we've had in years but he's not even close to Cam Neely.

I very much doubt Connolly will be the next Neely. If Connolly can score 20-30 goals each year I'd be happy. Cam scored 50, THREE TIMES, and he's in the hall of fame. If his body hadn't given out, he would have scored even more than his career 344 goals.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Since the first of the year, here's how Connolly would rank among the Bruins Top 9 forwards (min. 20 games played)...

On the Bruins, Connolly would rank:
1st in Shooting%
1st in Giveaways (least)
2nd in Hits
3rd in Even-Strength Goals
4th in Goals per 60 minutes
4th in Relative Fenwick
5th in Goals
5th in PDO (On-ice save% + On-ice shooting%)
5th in On-ice Goal Differential

I'm not sure why anyone (NESN?) would have him penciled in for the 4th line or as a healthy scratch. I can't imagine that's the team's plan for this guy.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Since the first of the year, here's how Connolly would rank among the Bruins Top 9 forwards (min. 20 games played)...

On the Bruins, Connolly would rank:
1st in Shooting%
1st in Giveaways (least)
2nd in Hits
3rd in Even-Strength Goals
4th in Goals per 60 minutes
4th in Relative Fenwick
5th in Goals
5th in PDO (On-ice save% + On-ice shooting%)
5th in On-ice Goal Differential

I'm not sure why anyone (NESN?) would have him penciled in for the 4th line or as a healthy scratch. I can't imagine that's the team's plan for this guy.

Connolly was averaging 4th line minutes (approx. 11 per game) but was playing on the 3rd line lately with Fillipula. Still to have 12 goals with that average ice-time is pretty impressive.

I remember reading going into his draft year he was talked about with Hall and Seguin as a possible No.1 pick. Then he got hurt and missed the bulk of the season (only played 16 games) dropping his stock. Not saying he'll be as good as Hall or Seguin but the pedigree was there.

As it stands he's clearly a Top 9 forward on this team with the potential for more. There's no doubt he's at least the 2nd best shot and release amongst forwards on the Bruins right now, only Marchand may be better and even that's close.

It's a bit of a gamble but much better than spending 2nd rounders on rental UFAs.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
It'd be interesting to play him on Bergy's wing, because until DK gets back, that's really our #1 line anyway.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
It'd be interesting to play him on Bergy's wing, because until DK gets back, that's really our #1 line anyway.

Even with Krejci back, I think Bergy is a good fit stylistically. Bergeron doesn't have Krejci's creativity but his passes are a lot cleaner IMO. He's set up Smith so many times and had him miss the net, if Connolly is half the sniper he's supposed to be his production would skyrocket.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Classic HF, putting down a trade without even seeing the player play a damn game yet. Never change, HF, never change.

Why can't people have an opinion. This player does have a history. They can look into his past. It's not like hes a new player that no one has ever seen. People can extrapolate what type of player he will be or what they think he will be .
Just another poster who sits too high for us to post with. You must be hanging with the grizzled vets of this site out on Twitter. Too bad, there are good posters here.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
ROFL. That's an insult to Cam Neely. Nobody is the next Cam Neely.

Lucic, is the toughest, most talented power forward we've had in years but he's not even close to Cam Neely.

I very much doubt Connolly will be the next Neely. If Connolly can score 20-30 goals each year I'd be happy. Cam scored 50, THREE TIMES, and he's in the hall of fame. If his body hadn't given out, he would have scored even more than his career 344 goals.

You got trolled, sir.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
This kid has 12 goals playing on the freaking 4th line. Imagine him in a legit scoring position next to Krejci or Bergeron...Really looking forward to this. A mold of Horton. 22 years old.
Starting to come around to this. 12 goals in 50 games is basically a 20 goal pace. He's doing that in very limited minutes and often with a guy who really has no playmaking ability in Brian Boyle. Plus he's just 22, so presumably is going to get better still too. Based on that, doesn't seem like 25-30 goals here down the line is absurb for him.

Let's hope both he and Pastrnak pan out. I think they are too young to count on to carry us with a deep playoff run this year, but hoping they can get some playoff experience and be ready to go next year as key cogs on a contender. We really need both to pan out with the amount of money we have tied up into our core. Our wings have been a big issue this year, but we can't really afford to spend big, so the pressure is on the development of these 2.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I don't think you understand how it works. Look who Connolly was playing behind in Tampa. Drouin. Palat. Kucherov. Callahan. He is also 18th in the league in 5v5 goals compared to average ice time. His 12 goals puts him 5th on our team.

Now, try creating an actual argument.

Toews
Kane
Ovechkin
Bergeron
Nash
Stamkos
Crosby
Malkin
Hall
Seguin
Perry
Getzlaf
Kopitar
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Tavares
Taresenko
Giroux

That's 18 goal scorers in no particular order off the top of my head. You think Connolly is more prolific than any of those names? This stat keeps being used and it's read to be interpreted as he's a top player in the nhl when he is not. There is a million different new advanced metrics out there, I'm sure theres one that applies to everyone in the league that makes them seem better than they are.

I guess my argument is, you say he's the 18th most prolific scorer in the league, but do you even believe it?/what does that even mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad