Confirmed with Link: Bruins 2015 & 2016 2nd Round Picks to the Lightning for Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Interesting take, I think Seguin was one of the easiest 2nd overall picks in recent history. While Connolly was a question mark at #6 due to his health issues. I think you would have been alone in that hope...

That being said, I like this trade at this point. This has a lot of potential, I would rather roll the dice on Connolly than rolling the dice on two mid second rounders.

I think he meant more so when we weren't sure where our pick would be exactly, but I could be wrong

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Kelly hasn't brought much since 2013. He should never have a no trade clause.

Anyways Connolly isn't a bad move. See how it plays out.

Because you can't put together alot of youth which we have been doing and not have guys like Kelly around. You need veteran presence and Kelly is a highly respected locker room guy and leader. Stop thinking this is a video game.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
He's 6'2, and close to 200 pounds. Much bigger than some of our other right wingers.

He's much bigger than Pasta. So isn't everyone else in the league. He's smaller than Ferlin and Smith, according to every listing out there.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
Interesting take, I think Seguin was one of the easiest 2nd overall picks in recent history. While Connolly was a question mark at #6 due to his health issues. I think you would have been alone in that hope...

That being said, I like this trade at this point. This has a lot of potential, I would rather roll the dice on Connolly than rolling the dice on two mid second rounders.

I remember from a strictly Fantasy POV that it was said by some that if it were not for Conolly's injuries leading up to his draft year, he would have been right up there with Seguin and Hall for top picks...of course that hasn't proven to work out, but it was how some scouts felt at the time.

D.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
This guy immediately takes over as having the best wrist shot on the team.

He's got a scoring touch. Maybe teams will respect our shooting now.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
This guy immediately takes over as having the best wrist shot on the team.

Brad Marchand is laughing at you.

He's got a scoring touch. Maybe teams will respect our shooting now.

18 goals in 134 NHL games? I can smell the fear in our opposition already.

I absolutely love this trade, but man, some of the comments today are almost making me not want to.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013

I absolutely love this trade, but man, some of the comments today are almost making me not want to.

Lol you think Marchand has a better shot than this kid?

Brad Marchand does NOT have the best shot on this team.

I like his shot far more than anyone else on this team as well. He adds flair and creativity and will be given a chance to play with some good players.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Lol you think Marchand has a better shot than this kid?

Brad Marchand does NOT have the best shot on this team.

The criteria was best wrist shot and yes, I'd give it to Marchand. By a wide margin.

I like his shot far more than anyone else on this team as well. He adds flair and creativity and will be given a chance to play with some good players.

We'll see. Again, I like the signing.....a lot. I just don't understand how you can say he's got the best shot and has scoring touch when there is simply nothing statistically to back this up in almost two full seasons of nhl games.

Please provide ANY evidence to support your opinion.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
The criteria was best wrist shot and yes, I'd give it to Marchand. By a wide margin.

We'll see. Again, I like the signing.....a lot. I just don't understand how you can say he's got the best shot and has scoring touch when there is simply nothing statistically to back this up in almost two full seasons of nhl games.

Please provide ANY evidence to support your opinion.

I disagree completely. Marchy has a good shot but it's not reliable. I think this has to do with why he isn't on the powerplay.

Connolly passes the eye test for me. I expect some Michael Ryder like precision out there. Connolly will also probably get some powerplay time as well.

I watched all 12 goals he scored, I saw what I liked. Quick release, power, shooting THROUGH goalies. Even snipped Price earlier this year.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

To be fair, Tampa Bay fans were saying it was a toss up between Connolly and Kucherov for the 2nd best shot on the team besides Stamkos.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Connolly can be a sniper. maybe use him up in the slot on the PP.
He has scored mega goals his whole career no reason he shouldn't do the same here.

He just needs to get to the open ice and think shoot first.

Also like the Talbot trade. He has a lot of built up anger with the HABS and here's hoping if we play them in the playoffs he shows it!!

The Knight trade is also good. Hoping Minnesota doesn't fleece us again as in the past.

Still upset over lack of patience with Cunnigham. Oh well.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

If you don't understand that he has a scoring touch which is his best asset then how could you love this trade? Don't just look at the 18 goals in 134 games. Also look at his TOI and who he has been playing with. He has the highest shot % on the Bruins by a large margin. He just didn't take many shots due to his circumstances in Tampa.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I disagree completely. Marchy has a good shot but it's not reliable. I think this has to do with why he isn't on the powerplay.

Connolly passes the eye test for me. I expect some Michael Ryder like precision out there. Connolly will also probably get some powerplay time as well.

I watched all 12 goals he scored, I saw what I liked. Quick release, power, shooting THROUGH goalies. Even snipped Price earlier this year.

I see a good shot, but a slow release. Like Ryder.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

Marchand = 15.1% shooting percentage
Connolly = 9.5%

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Marchand = 15.1% shooting percentage
Connolly = 9.5%

I'm not sure who has the better shot but Connolly is 22 years old and Marchand is 26. In Marchands first stint with the NHL he had a 0% shooting percentage and peaked in the stat at the age of 24.

It's been said by many people that have watched Connolly more than any of us that he isn't the fastest learner but continues to improve. Which shows this season in regards to his shot % and physical play.

If he continues to improve at the rate he is going, I believe we have a top 6 player next year.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Good pick up. Not a great skater, but good energy level and shot. Will work out for you guys! Could look like a steal in a couple years.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Or Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci?

I don't think it was this group of guys who made those picks...but good point.

We had a tough patch of 2nd rounders though so lets hope it's Cross-Knight-Alexandrov-Sauve.

Koko-Spooner-Arnesson-Donato..let's hope there is something there! Looks like improvement in scouting to me though.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I really don't mind the deal as Connolly has a ton of upside and the 2nd next yr, I feel isn't worth as much as are third this yr as the draft this yr is just that much deeper.

But I still say PC was a train wreck all yr as he still failed to fix are defensive woos and he didn't address it at the trade deadline neither. Now I just hope he's smart enough to Bring up Morrow because we need his speed and transition game in the back end dearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad