GDT: Bruins (2) at Leafs (0). You have got to Win. Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I just want to see the leafs go Into the corner and take a damn hit to make a positive play with the puck. Nylander is looking over his shoulder and trying to fish the puck into his skates while the Bruins are going for the hit, leaf player pulls up and the Bruins player missed the hit. HOWEVER, this gives the Bruins player excellent body positioning on the puck because they are already boxed out just by pulling up rather then skating through.

Like come on, I did the gauntlet drill in peewee. You got to keep your feet moving and push through the hit, not pull up and work from a disadvantage.

Gardner is playing point man and when the puck comes down low he is puck watching. We've been playing this entire series behind. The kids look scared and the vets look lost. We have Polak and Hyman as the only two guys working hard and paying the price to make a play.

So Hyman plays 97% of the year with Matthews. We move Hyman to play with Mitch because we are essentially saying Matthews is going to be I ineffective in Boston so we are just thing to cut our losses on that line by moving Komorov on that line. Now Matthews has no one on his line bevause Nylander has been moved too, causing everyone on the ice to key in on Matthews. The kid can't breathe out there. I really hope we stack a line tonight and just try something new, I mean, I have not witnessed a series like this ever as a Leaf fan. Stand witness indeed.

Martin gets in tonight.
He plays 10-12 minutes tonight. We need some strength out there. Someone to make Boston look over their shoulder when they are going into the corner. Right now it's just not happening.

It honestly looked like this team has given up. They need someone to rally behind.

Martin is in the lineup tonight. If he gets suspended who cares. If we lose someone else like Kadri..... I care.

Someone has to turn the tide, someone needs to step up and take this hull by the horns. We are about to see what our team is truly made of.

I like our team. It a not perfect, but we are better then what we have shown.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You are right, but a lot of people can't seem to understand this and therefore this GDT is going to go crazy with a bunch of people chewing out Babcock's lineup. So that's it for me! Have fun folks.
It's GOING to go crazy about Babcock line up?
Worse than what's already happening? Dear god.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Pretty sure Matthews did just fine in their last matchup. Hard to completely dominate when your goaltenders let in every chance against and the PK can't box out players.

Either way, I hope it works out.

I have no problem with Matthews against Bergeron. The only problem is that being down 3-0 forces everyone to make more mistakes trying to catch up.

We need a mistake free game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Matt Martin plays a single minute of this series without us being decimated injury wise, we've already lost the series.

Play like you are capable of playing. Matt Martin isn't going to change the fact that all of our lines look like ****. They just have to play to their abilities.

If Martin is representative of the Leafs chances in this series, it means there's been a catastrophic failure of Matthews and Nylander and Marner and Kadri and JVR and Bozak and Rielly and Gardiner and Andersen, which has actually been the case to date.

Reactions: Pi

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have no problem with Matthews against Bergeron. The only problem is that being down 3-0 forces everyone to make more mistakes trying to catch up.

We need a mistake free game.

Mistakes are always going to happen. Bruins have made plenty of them. We just had more costly mistakes, especially from the goaltending.

I just want the efficient lines. You put Marner, probably your hottest and most dangerous playmaker, with a player that has 17 goals in his last 144 NHL games. Pardon me if I'm not overly thrilled and excited about that.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Oh, I agree +/- isn't the be all and end all, but with a 2 game sample size you can directly identify who was playing defense and getting scored on in those 2 games.

That Rielly has been on the ice for 5 even strength goals against in 2 games is clear.

Bruins have scored 7 even strength goals.

Throw out the plus minus, and just look at the facts, 5 out of 7 even strength goals against when Rielly is on the ice.

It can't always be the other guy.

One thing stats won't tell you however is how hard a player might of been pressing. If you're Reilly, and you're down a couple of goals, you might be forcing your game a little more trying to even it up. Is he being bad defensively or taking more risks? For every time Hainsey passes the puck up to a Bruin and then fails to take his man, someone has to counter that by trying to get the puck in the back of the Bruin's net. With the Leafs behind all the time, Reilly might be trying to do too much.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Mistakes are always going to happen. Bruins have made plenty of them. We just had more costly mistakes, especially from the goaltending.

I just want the efficient lines. You put Marner, probably your hottest and most dangerous playmaker, with a player that has 17 goals in his last 144 NHL games. Pardon me if I'm not overly thrilled and excited about that.
If you put someone like Brown there instead of Marner that means that Brown, Marleau and Plekanec are going to be out maybe 15 minutes in even strength against them and even less offense. I'd rather give more icetime to Marner than Brown on that line. Marner can carry that line by himself too so he's a threat even with Plekanec imo.

There's logic behind the lines. Not the best looking lines but really the Leafs don't have many choices at this time. Matthews' line has to 100% take advantage of home ice and carry this team. Marner's line needs to try and do what Matthews line couldn't and go even with Bergeron's line.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Remember how we would constantly say throughout the regular season “this is a must win game” and some ass would always come along and say “lol it’s only the regular season it’s not a must win game”

Well this here is a MUST WIN GAME. PLEASE leafs I beg you win this game. Matthews, Nylander please do something

Reactions: ThewThew

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If you put someone like Brown there instead of Marner that means that Brown, Marleau and Plekanec are going to be out maybe 15 minutes in even strength against them and even less offense. I'd rather give more icetime to Marner than Brown on that line. Marner can carry that line by himself too so he's a threat even with Plekanec imo.

There's logic behind the lines. Not the best looking lines but really the Leafs don't have many choices at this time. Matthews' line has to 100% take advantage of home ice and carry this team. Marner's line needs to try and do what Matthews line couldn't and go even with Bergeron's line.

I understand the logic completely but it's a logic I completely disagree with and I'm not sure it'll work out. We'll see.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Marleau again, or Nylander, who’s not only been invisible on Matthews wing up to this point, but played a great game vs Boston as our 1C while Matthews was injured.

Marleau is not a center.

Matthews 1C, Nylander 2C - who matches up against Bergeron?

Keep hearing people say "Leafs need to play their game". Surely taking your best winger away from your best center isn't playing their game, but Boston's?

Reactions: Liminality

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Plekanic with Marner? Geez. I would've brought Leivo to replace Komarov.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Marleau-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Johnsson-Plekanic-Kapanen

EDIT: I'd sit Plekanic and put Moore in.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Leafs, are you ready to go golfing and fishing?

Prove it one way or the other tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad