Management Bruce Cassidy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Can you elaborate?

(honest question, don't know the situation in Providence).

People didn't like that they felt he was giving less ice time to prospects and in some cases scratching them in favor of players who would never become anything. A lot of people vowed those prospects would go elsewhere and flourish.

The record so far shows otherwise.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
We've seen that top line before.

We've seen Pasta with Krejci before.

We've seen Backes with Spooner before (they allowed the GWG against DET in DET).

Spooner has played center with Beleskey for a couple weeks now.

The D pairings were all the same.

To me, the one change is Cehlarik, which I like a lot and wish would have happened sooner because I have a feeling he's going to click with Krejci.

There's really not much else to do with the forwards at this point. Claude tried all sorts of line combos and could really only get one line going at a time.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
interesting. not sure how I feel but glad they are at least trying to mix it up. We've been living on one line for far to long.

Yeah I'd imagine he sees a need to spread out the wealth. One line isn't how you build a winning team. Maybe pasta gets dk going and Bergeron and marchy can utilize vatranos rocket. Spooner also needs to start producing consistently.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
loved that yahoo article. cassidy hit on a lot of topics that need to be implemented on this team..play on your toes, pick up the pace, skill players with krejci,todays quicker nhl.. all talk so far.. but talk that needs to be had with this team

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
People didn't like that they felt he was giving less ice time to prospects and in some cases scratching them in favor of players who would never become anything. A lot of people vowed those prospects would go elsewhere and flourish. The record so far shows otherwise.

One particular beloved high second-round prospect fueled the fury. It never had any base in W/L reality. That beloved high second-round prospect now plays for energy company-sponsored hockey team in small town on bleak seacoast of Denmark.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
One particular beloved high second-round prospect fueled the fury. It never had any base in W/L reality. That beloved high second-round prospect now plays for energy company-sponsored hockey team in small town on bleak seacoast of Denmark.

Anthony Camara was another. Traded in the Liles deal, not tendered by the Hurricanes. Signed by K-Zoo in the ECHL and has gotten a try out in St John's.

And of course, Koko. Who got plenty of time and freedom and, well....
At least he's getting scratched by the best team in the K now.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Someone said a different Bruce Cassidy was fired by Sweeney as Providence coach. I don't think that ever happened.

No, I think that post alludes to others hoping he would be fired three years ago, which never happened.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I am too.

Although it doesn't sound like he's interested in making many changes, to the lineup or the systems, so it will be interesting to see if that changes and if not, how he makes his mark.

I don't know...I took something different away from his comments.

Being realistic, there's only so much change one can make this late in the season. But the talk of relying less on the low to high in the offensive zone is a major change for a team that has always relied on it. That will require a real effort on the part of the staff and players to accomplish and should be interesting to watch. As for the "quicker ups", I tend to trust that CJ would be best at that and he's been trying to do it for years now. This team is just loaded with too many d-men who can't skate or make a pass...the horses aren't there. God help us if McQuaid is suddenly forced to hit a spot somewhere near the slot on a breakout pass rather than rely on his typical "slam it high off the glass" strategy.

mattbnh

Apr 26, 2004
New Hampster
No, I think that post alludes to others hoping he would be fired three years ago, which never happened.

not to argue but post #39 says:

"Not to correct you but same name different guy. The Cassidy from providence was fired 2 years ago, I know this cause a few of the fanboys here reported that Sweeney.....like them.....saw the black helicopter over providence too .....and that Cassidy was intentional sabotaging all the great Bruins prospects down there. So sweeleys first move was to fire that Cassidy. When I find the link I will post. But don't hold your breathe."

I don't think that was correct. then again, maybe "sweeley" is from another dimension where this alternate Cassidy lives.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
not to argue but post #39 says:

"Not to correct you but same name different guy. The Cassidy from providence was fired 2 years ago, I know this cause a few of the fanboys here reported that Sweeney.....like them.....saw the black helicopter over providence too .....and that Cassidy was intentional sabotaging all the great Bruins prospects down there. So sweeleys first move was to fire that Cassidy. When I find the link I will post. But don't hold your breathe."

I don't think that was correct.

Ok I must have missed that one (I thought you were talking about the one they were replying to), I think it was edited after I read it, but yeah that's a joke. ;)

I'm still trying to figure out who's "boy" Cassidy is, Clode's or Donnie's. Or possibly Sinden!

Or maybe "Butch" is the real Cassidy? :nod: :laugh:

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I don't know if this was posted somewhere, but it just came up on my phone...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...e-pace-as-bruins-interim-coach-200408713.html

As close as they will get
890361H_Picante_Mild_648.png

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Skilled players had plenty of rope in Providence. Spooner did his sideways swizzle move with abandon, and Koko was a free-lance demon. Providence team offence could dominate at times. Defencemen carried puck up-ice without worry it seemed. The team never ever played for a tie. This is from what I observed over two hockey seasons. I'm placed on learning curve suspension here so don't hold me to it.

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for letting us know what you've seen. Hopefully, in the short term, we'll get things opened up.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good luck to Claude and thank you - you were the right guy at the right time. Not a fan of this timing wise- but I assume they want to get a look and see if he's the long term guy

My choice is Dean but he's not ready

Best of luck to Butch. I hope he is great with the kids.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
There's really not much else to do with the forwards at this point. Claude tried all sorts of line combos and could really only get one line going at a time.

I hear you, but if we're throwing the old rule book out the window and trying new things, you know what I would have liked to see?

Spooner - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Marchand - Krejci - Cehlarik
Vatrano - Backes - Czarnik
Beleskey - Moore - Nash

Chara - C.Miller
Krug - Carlo
Morrow - McQuaid

THAT would be something new.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I hear you, but if we're throwing the old rule book out the window and trying new things, you know what I would have liked to see?

Beleskey - Moore - Nash

Chara - C.Miller
Krug - Carlo
Morrow - McQuaid

Yes that's exactly what is needed.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Beleskey - Moore - Nash

Chara - C.Miller
Krug - Carlo
Morrow - McQuaid

OR with Czarnik injured...

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Beleskey - Krejci - Cehlarik
Spooner - Backes - Vatrano
Schaller - Moore - Nash

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not to correct you but same name different guy. The Cassidy from providence was fired 2 years ago, I know this cause a few of the fanboys here reported that Sweeney.....like them.....saw the black helicopter over providence too .....and that Cassidy was intentional sabotaging all the great Bruins prospects down there. So sweeleys first move was to fire that Cassidy. When I find the link I will post. But don't hold your breathe:)

It's probably me but my hockey knowledge certificate has been suspended indefinitely

Even my dog heads into another room if I start talking hockey and my kid has me on ignore on HF

I hope he does well he's been put in a tough spot but it's a great opportunity and this is his dream

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
It's probably me but my hockey knowledge certificate has been suspended indefinitely

Even my dog heads into another room if I start talking hockey and my kid has me on ignore on HF

I hope he does well he's been put in a tough spot but it's a great opportunity and this is his dream

Don't worry a Knight will come to the rescue...bazzing! :laugh:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
We've seen that top line before.

We've seen Pasta with Krejci before.

We've seen Backes with Spooner before (they allowed the last minute goal against DET in DET).

Spooner has played center with Beleskey for a couple weeks now.

The D pairings were all the same.

To me, the one change is Cehlarik, which I like a lot and wish would have happened sooner because I have a feeling he's going to click with Krejci.

I think the changes are significant. Basically giving Krejci two new linemates to work with . While line 1 is likely going to miss Pasta , there is an opportunity to improve lines 2 and 3 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad