Confirmed with Link: Bruce Cassidy Named 28th Head Coach Of The Boston Bruins

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
New team?

No. Last team. He has a new multi-year deal with Dallas. He signed a one year deal with St. Louis last summer

Wasn't that long ago Anaheim offered Babcock a one year deal. Luke Richardson signed a one year deal a couple year ago. Heck, Buffalo offered Ted Nolan a one year deal on the heels of his coach of the year award. LOL. It happens.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Because he was planning to retire. Completely different scenarios

Wasn't that long ago Anaheim offered Babcock a one year deal. Luke Richardson signed a one year deal a couple year ago. Heck, Buffalo offered Ted Nolan a one year deal on the heels of his coach of the year award. LOL. It happens. In lots of scenarios.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I can't tell if you're being serious with this or obtuse. New coach. New team. New deal. Not one year add on deals to avoid being lame duck coaches. And Patty & Pia are correct. Hitchcock signed a one year extension to coach one final season. Again, not what I was talking about.

So again, let's be clear: New coach, signing one year deal to coach a new team. Find one and get back to me. Not extensions.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I can't tell if you're being serious with this or obtuse. New coach. New team. New deal. Not one year add on deals to avoid being lame duck coaches. And Patty & Pia are correct. Hitchcock signed a one year extension to coach one final season. Again, not what I was talking about.

So again, let's be clear: New coach, signing one year deal to coach a new team. Find one and get back to me. Not extensions.

New team? Butch is already with the Bruins and has been in the Bruins organization for years. It doesn't matter because he has a multi-year deal, so I guess you are arguing for the sake of arguing. I'll let you have at it, but one year deals are not unique. They've been offered to coaches like Nolan and Babcock for Christ sake. So why would it be out of the realm of possibility to offer a rookie like Butch a one year extension? The answer: It wouldn't.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I just think you don't like that he showed you examples that fit his argument, so you're just purposely discounting them.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Also, one last bit on Hitchcock. He signed an extension to coach one last year in STL, but they'd hired and named his replacement in Mike Yeo who was there as an assistant already. He was trying to hang on so he could break Al Arbour's all time coaching wins record, so his signing with Dallas was simply the avenue with which he could do that. It's not like he signed with STL and announced he was retiring at the season's end, so he could pull a swerve and sign with Dallas, FFS.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Also, one last bit on Hitchcock. He signed an extension to coach one last year in STL, but they'd hired and named his replacement in Mike Yeo who was there as an assistant already. He was trying to hang on so he could break Al Arbour's all time coaching wins record, so his signing with Dallas was simply the avenue with which he could do that. It's not like he signed with STL and announced he was retiring at the season's end, so he could pull a swerve and sign with Dallas, FFS.

Who cares what the reasons are? They would be unique to each situation. You said one year deals don't happen. But they do. They get offered to coaches like Hitchcock, Babcock and Nolan, so why wouldn't a one year extension for Butch be in the realm of possibility? Of course it would.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
New team? Butch is already with the Bruins and has been in the Bruins organization for years. It doesn't matter because he has a multi-year deal, so I guess you are arguing for the sake of arguing. I'll let you have at it, but one year deals are not unique. They've been offered to coaches like Nolan and Babcock for Christ sake. So why would it be out of the realm of possibility to offer a rookie like Butch a one year extension? The answer: It wouldn't.

He was not the head coach. He was the interim head coach. He didn't have a contract to be the head coach, so any deal he signed for that purpose would be new. And one year extensions happen all the time, sure. But not new coaches getting new deals with new teams. Why would anyone want to do that willingly?

You say they've been offered to Nolan and Babock. Did they sign them? Not extensions, but one year deals to coach a new team? Seems to be Babcock got a long term, high dollar offer to go to Toronto. Even before then, he coached the ducks for 2 years, declined a one year extension, and signed a 3 year deal in Detroit. Then followed that with another 3 year extension, and then a 4 year extension. Finally signing the 8 year deal in Toronto. So I don't see any one year stints. Shortest he had was 2 years in ANA and they wanted him back but he left on his own.

But really, is this what you want to do because I disagreed with your dead cat bounce theory? I thought we were having a decent back and forth about it, personally.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sure, but I'm happy to wait for you to show me the last coach who signed on with a new team for a term of one year. It simply doesn't happen.

Who cares what the reasons are? They would be unique to each situation. You said one year deals don't happen. But they do. They get offered to coaches like Hitchcock, Babcock and Nolan, so why wouldn't a one year extension for Butch be in the realm of possibility? Of course it would.

No, I said the bolded above. New team. Not extensions with existing team. Big difference, no? :laugh:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one with reading comprehension. :naughty:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

I agree. Those examples are different. Hitch isn't going to coach that much longer. Kind of stupid on Dallas' part. They'll be looking again for a coach unlesss someone is ready in a year or two. Nolan had to prove himself. He had no leverage. Babcock got offered a year but didn't take it. Cassidy is in a different spot. New coaches usually get multi year deals all the time.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Now why would it be a one year deal? Why would a guy sign a contract to be a lame duck? Seriously. This is just about the silliest thing you've said here. Why would a guy voluntarily take a job where he's clearly a dead man walking? He gets zero protection by doing a one year deal. He's basically begging to be replaced. Players realize that and will tune him out because he's on borrowed time.

At the least, it would have to be a 2 year deal. At the very least.

I've said many sillier things.

Do we know what the term is yet?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

An extension to what? An assistant. That's what his contract was for. HC is a different title.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
An extension to what? An assistant. That's what his contract was for. HC is a different title.

He did not finish the season as an assistant coach. Not in any way shape or form.

Hitchcock finished the season coaching the Blues he signed his one year extension.

Babcock finished the season coaching the Ducks when he was offered his one year extension.

Nolan finished the season coaching the Sabres when he was offered his one year extension.

Butch finished the season coaching the Bruins and offering him a one year extension would have been squarely in the realm of possibility.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
So to summarize, new lame duck coaches are bad, old ones are ok and they happen all the time.

Yup. Lonnies Bizzaro World ... and apparently old is new and new is old and the guy who coached us for the last two months is apparently joining a new team and doing a new job if he stays here and does the same job next year with the same team ... pretty sure I saw this on an episode of Seinfeld

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He did not finish the season as an assistant coach. Not in any way shape or form.

Hitchcock finished the season coaching the Blues he signed his one year extension.

Babcock finished the season coaching the Ducks when he was offered his one year extension.

Nolan finished the season coaching the Sabres when he was offered his one year extension.

Butch finished the season coaching the Bruins and offering him a one year extension would have been squarely in the realm of possibility.

So those three guys all started coaching the team for the first time mid season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad