Confirmed with Link: Bruce Cassidy Named 28th Head Coach Of The Boston Bruins

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'll go S-L-O-W-E-R ... they all finished the season coaching the teams who offered them 1 year extensions. That's the commonality.

You can go as slow as you need. Either way, you still missed the point, which was new coach, new team. Not extensions. I get it though. You don't want to admit you misread it. It's okay. Happens to everyone.

BTW, still waiting for that example. New coach. New team. One year deal accepted.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
You can go as slow as you need. Either way, you still missed the point, which was new coach, new team. Not extensions. I get it though. You don't want to admit you misread it. It's okay. Happens to everyone.

I didn't mis-read anything. We were talking about Cassidy. Sorry, what team did he coach in the playoffs this season?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He did not finish the season as an assistant coach. Not in any way shape or form.

Hitchcock finished the season coaching the Blues he signed his one year extension.

Babcock finished the season coaching the Ducks when he was offered his one year extension.

Nolan finished the season coaching the Sabres when he was offered his one year extension.

Butch finished the season coaching the Bruins and offering him a one year extension would have been squarely in the realm of possibility.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/after-long-journey-cassidy-back-at-the-helm/c-289126986

If he's not a new head coach, why would the team put out a press release announcing him as the 28th head coach in history? Surely they must have done this already, if he were the head coach this year, no?

It wouldn't be an extension, because, AGAIN, he was the interim head coach and operating under his contract he signed as an assistant coach. The deal they just announced was his FIRST deal as head coach. Pretty obvious and simple to understand if you're not being obtuse.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/after-long-journey-cassidy-back-at-the-helm/c-289126986

If he's not a new head coach, why would the team put out a press release announcing him as the 28th head coach in history? Surely they must have done this already, if he were the head coach this year, no?

It wouldn't be an extension, because, AGAIN, he was the interim head coach and operating under his contract he signed as an assistant coach. The deal they just announced was his FIRST deal as head coach. Pretty obvious and simple to understand if you're not being obtuse.

Yes, I see more posturing and grasping at straws. Now playing the semantics game. That's fine.

Still waiting though .... what's his new team? No rush. I'll wait.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yes, I see more posturing and grasping at straws. Now playing the semantics game. That's fine.

Still waiting though .... what's his new team? No rush. I'll wait.

Uh, yeah, you're really showing me. :laugh:

So again, where's the one year deal for a new coach and a new team? Still waiting. Still. Waiting.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
*crickets* still waiting for the new team Bruce will be with next season .... yawn

interim
[in-ter-uh m]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
an intervening time; interval; meantime:
School doesn't start till September, but he's taking a Spanish class in the interim.
a temporary or provisional arrangement; stopgap; makeshift:
As an interim, her summer job was pretty good.
(initial capital letter) Church History. any of three provisional arrangements for the settlement of religious differences between German Protestants and Roman Catholics during the Reformation.
adjective
for, during, belonging to, or connected with an intervening period of time; temporary; provisional:
an interim order; an interim job.
adverb
meanwhile.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Which is why the team announced he was now officially the head coach. But yeah, it's me.

It is you.

Hitchcock finished the season coaching the Blues he signed his one year extension.

Babcock finished the season coaching the Ducks when he was offered his one year extension.

Nolan finished the season coaching the Sabres when he was offered his one year extension.

Butch finished the season coaching the Bruins and offering him a one year extension would have been squarely in the realm of possibility.

But you keep telling us Bruce will be with a new team next season. So still waiting ... which new team is Bruce going to?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Cassidy has coaches like babcock and Claude in his division. Next year we will see how he game plans against vet coaches. Its like a game of chess. We'll see how he adapts

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It is you.

But you keep telling us Bruce will be with a new team next season. So still waiting ... which new team is Bruce going to?

Fascinating. Tell me more. :laugh:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Neely and Sweeney need to make a splash this off season. No way Cassidy will be successful with our current aging roster. Get someone who can score

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011
I'll go S-L-O-W-E-R ... they all finished the season coaching the teams who offered them 1 year extensions. That's the commonality.

He did not finish the season as an assistant coach. Not in any way shape or form.

Check and Mate.

Frankly, outside of the Cassidy family, it doesn't really matter if he got one year or three. It doesn't much change how NHL teams deal with him. If they aren't happy with their coach and want to fire him then they fire him. Unless you are talking silly money like Babcock got from Toronto, they aren't going to let a year or two of a coaches salary stop them from replacing him if they feel it benefits the team.

Interim coaches are USUALLy sacrificial lambs but not always and not in Cassidy's case. He's been under consideration for a long time as a leading candidate to replace Claude at some point. They clearly gave him the reigns with some notion that he was a top candidate for the job going forward, and he has been a head coach in their organization for a long time. So yes, you are correct, he would be much more typical of an existing coach than your typical interim.

One year or three means only as much as you care to read into it though. Much ado about nothing. He's the coach and the only thing that really matters.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Check and Mate.

Frankly, outside of the Cassidy family, it doesn't really matter if he got one year or three. It doesn't much change how NHL teams deal with him. If they aren't happy with their coach and want to fire him then they fire him. Unless you are talking silly money like Babcock got from Toronto, they aren't going to let a year or two of a coaches salary stop them from replacing him if they feel it benefits the team.

Interim coaches are USUALLy sacrificial lambs but not always and not in Cassidy's case. He's been under consideration for a long time as a leading candidate to replace Claude at some point. They clearly gave him the reigns with some notion that he was a top candidate for the job going forward, and he has been a head coach in their organization for a long time. So yes, you are correct, he would be much more typical of an existing coach than your typical interim.

One year or three means only as much as you care to read into it though. Much ado about nothing. He's the coach and the only thing that really matters.

Check and Mate?

Three guys with a history of head coaching with their teams (one said he was retiring at the end) that signed one year deals vs a guy who coached two months.

When has an interim coach ever received a deal for one year on his first head coaching contract?

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011
Check and Mate?

Three guys with a history of head coaching with their teams (one said he was retiring at the end) that signed one year deals vs a guy who coached two months.

Check and Mate

He only set out to show that those who finish a season coaching a team sometimes get the opportunity extended for another year. In was in response to someone who said it doesn't happen. So it does happen.

Check and Mate

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Not that this fire needs any new fuel, but Lonnie pretty clearly said:

"new team"

As Hitchcock had been with STL in previous seasons, this doesn't qualify.

I was going to mention that the examples someone gave in the last thread of Yeo, Rowe, and Weight were also erroneous.

Yeo signed a 4 year deal with STL, the first was to be as Hitchcock's assistant, the remaining three as HC. He just got the job a few months early.

Rowe was the GM of FLA, gave up that position to coach the team when Gallant was fired, was removed as HC and is now an assistant to the GM.

Weight was also an assistant GM who kept those duties while stepping in to coach after Capuano was fired. As far as I know, he's retaining the AGM title as well as the HC one this season.

Completely different situations than Cassidy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad