Management Bruce Cassidy III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
he did in 2019, the pickups that year were great. Can he do it again? Is it worth the price, ie do they have a legit shot? Not sure.
But he did score big in 2019, can’t ignore that.
He did for sure, but those were smaller pieces than what we need now to get back to the finals. Still great moves though.

Reactions: Mathews28

BBBruins

Apr 24, 2017
I have to ask when i don’t understand much about game strategies. Could this 5v5 goal scoring difficulty be due to the strategy of Cassidy and the other coaches? Because this difficulty has continued more or less throughout the time Cassidy has been a coach. I don't mean just because of that. But if this were the case they would probably have changed something because they have been talking about it for years. :huh:

Reactions: Over the volcano

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Let's hope Steen is a hit. Frederic seems to be a good find also though he is an impact guy in a different way. I haven't written of Senyshyn either though I think most here have. Lauko could be another one that hits. Studnicka is looking like a keeper also, just needs some NHL seasoning and strength. It's not a brilliant list by any means, but it is not a complete washout either (yet).

IMO 2019 is why DS is still around. I'm not a huge fan of DS nor do I think he is even remotely the worst GM out there. That being said 2019 I think we all agree Bruins wasted a once in a lifetime opportunity with TB and Wash getting ousted 1st round.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I have to ask when i don’t understand much about game strategies. Could this 5v5 goal scoring difficulty be due to the strategy of Cassidy and the other coaches? Because this difficulty has continued more or less throughout the time Cassidy has been a coach. I don't mean just because of that. But if this were the case they would probably have changed something because they have been talking about it for years. :huh:

Its the players.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
All coaches have a relatively short lifespan on their team to team stops. Butch has been with the organization for a long time so there's built in trust there but results eventually outweigh everything. If the Bruins were to for some reason miss the playoffs, i can see Cassidy being one of the scapegoats.

Reactions: bbfan419

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Coaches show their worth when things aren't perfect. When they need to rely on their ability to adapt and strategize around things like injuries, team deficiencies, etc is what separates the good coaches from the bad. Anyone can win with elite talent, only the good ones can win without it.

This is where Cassidy fails for me. He can't coach around adversity. He doesnt have the ability to come up with a game plan to maximize what he's given, which goes back to the big complaint folks have had. He is not a good Xs and Os coach.

The good ones find a way to win, Bruce doesn't

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
All coaches have a relatively short lifespan on their team to team stops. Butch has been with the organization for a long time so there's built in trust there but results eventually outweigh everything. If the Bruins were to for some reason miss the playoffs, i can see Cassidy being one of the scapegoats.
Sometimes players just need a different voice in the room as well.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Coaches show their worth when things aren't perfect. When they need to rely on their ability to adapt and strategize around things like injuries, team deficiencies, etc is what separates the good coaches from the bad. Anyone can win with elite talent, only the good ones can win without it.

This is where Cassidy fails for me. He can't coach around adversity. He doesnt have the ability to come up with a game plan to maximize what he's given, which goes back to the big complaint folks have had. He is not a good Xs and Os coach.

So what role do the players have in this? All the strategy in the world means jack shit if the players don't execute it. I see the game plan theoretically as fine. I see the players right now not doing what they need to do. Bruce can draw up all the plays and strategies he likes and if the players don't show up, what is he supposed to do? These are not squirts. They are grown men- professionals. If they can't motivate themselves to do their jobs on a game to game basis, then what is a coach to do with that? Sweeney hired Cassidy and knows what kind of game he is looking to play and has watched him put together a style and plan for years now, and knows what he needs to do pull it off. But even then, at the end of it all, the players have to show up on game day ready and able to do it.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

I'm not a Cassidy pom-pom waiver or anything, but I think it's more to do with the groceries that were picked out than Cassidy's coaching. You can only win so long when you have 1 if not 2 holes on your second line and are a one line team. I do wish he'd split up the top line more, though. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't frustrating.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah but when forward talent is as low as it is right now is a new voice really gonna change things? It may for a few weeks to a month but it will fade and talent eventually needs to take over.

Bruce is a chef that needs to have the right ingredients. He needs some fresh grass-fed beef and Sweeney gives him a can of Spam and says "it's meat, it should work."

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
We have the coaches vs. players vs. GM debate every time this comes around. Truth is you can’t fire an entire roster, whether they deserve it or not. Moreover, I think it’s hard to pin too much on the players when so many key guys are banged up, none of the rookies/kids do much, and we already had secondary scoring issues on the roster.

I like Butch. If I was in his shoes I’d be going out of my mind wondering why the GM isn’t making any moves, and that’s just based on the injuries let alone the roster holes.

Reactions: Dr Hook

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Bruce is a chef that needs to have the right ingredients. He needs some fresh grass-fed beef and Sweeney gives him a can of Spam and says "it's meat, it should work."
This is unfair IMO. The roster when healthy is very good. It’s just not good enough.

IMO DS is screwing up again because he never filled the obvious holes, and now he’s once again sat around, doing nothing, and watched them swirl down the toilet thanks to underperformance and injuries.

Reactions: StrBender

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This is unfair IMO. The roster when healthy is very good. It’s just not good enough.

IMO DS is screwing up again because he never filled the obvious holes, and now he’s once again sat around, doing nothing, and watched them swirl down the toilet thanks to underperformance and injuries.

I think it's fair insofar as the team has needed some secondary scoring for a long time. Bruce's game plan offensively has been "hope the first line scores 3" and there is not much more he can do with that.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Yeah but when forward talent is as low as it is right now is a new voice really gonna change things? It may for a few weeks to a month but it will fade and talent eventually needs to take over.
I agree I think both need to happen, Donny has to stop sitting on his hands and decide to either add talent , real talent to help now and future or sell and rebuild.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He wouldn’t be a scapegoat he’d be part of the problem. The team has more talent than results lately and it seems like he’s tried every tool in his box. If this is all he’s got then it might be time for a different voice in the room.

It's hard to coach up 3rd line grinders to become second line scorers. But that's what he's being asked to do.
Starting to think this isn’t the case at all. Looking around the league - Colorado leads all teams in goals scored with Saad and Burakovsky riding on the second line. While I’d take em both I don’t think they’re that much better on paper than the guys we have like Smith and DeBrusk when they’re on their game.

Hell, the Penguins beat them last night with Zucker and Rodriguez on their second line...

The pieces just aren’t coming together here and his public messages to the team aren’t getting responses in the ice...

Last edited:
Reactions: BBBruins

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He wouldn’t be a scapegoat he’d be part of the problem. The team has more talent than results lately and it seems like he’s tried every tool in his box. If this is all he’s got then it might be time for a different voice in the room.

Starting to think this isn’t the case at all. Looking around the league - Colorado leads all teams in goals scored with Saad and Burakovsky riding on the second line. While I’d take em both I don’t think they’re that much better on paper than the guys we have like Smith and DeBrusk when they’re on their game.

Hell, the Penguins beat them last night with Zucker and Rodriguez on their second line...

The pieces just aren’t coming together here and his public messages to the team aren’t getting responses in the ice...

It’s the D. They miss Krug’s ability to move the puck at 5 on 5 way more than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad