Management Bruce Cassidy III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am glad that was brought up though.

I always mentioned that Sweeney inherited Rask, Pastrnak, Bergeron, Marchand, Chara, Krejci, Krug, Hamilton, Lucic..I forget he also inherited Bruce Cassidy.
Chiarelli inherited a lot of talent

Theo Epstein inherited a lot of talent

Bill Belichick inherited a lot of talent

Thankfully I inherited a lot

It’s a great game no matter what side your on you can build a case

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
That 2011 team would not have done anything without netting Pevs, Kelly and even Kaberle before the deadline. The team that was playing bad needed a huge commitment from their GM at the time and he did just that....will ours?

I'd say there's a difference in attitude. Chiarelli went for it then because he wanted to. Sweeney would do it now because he needs to in order to keep his job. I'm not sure if that's a person you want making those deals where they have nothing to lose.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
there may not be a choice here

There is always a choice, with everything. Now whether Sweeney would chuck Bruce under the bus to save his own job, I think we all know the answer to that, but he isn't obligated to do it. Now if he comes out and publicly gives Bruce the dreaded "vote of confidence" we'll know what he's decided.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I am glad that was brought up though.

I always mentioned that Sweeney inherited Rask, Pastrnak, Bergeron, Marchand, Chara, Krejci, Krug, Hamilton, Lucic..I forget he also inherited Bruce Cassidy.

Also Gryz, Bjork, Heinen (turned into Ritchie) and Donato (turned into Coyle).

He also inherited zero defensive prospects really and has done a great job there, but has drafted any impact forwards as of yet, although DeBrusk was at one point IMO. Weird thing is every forward prospect they seem to have hits a peak and falls off a cliff.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'd say there's a difference in attitude. Chiarelli went for it then because he wanted to. Sweeney would do it now because he needs to in order to keep his job. I'm not sure if that's a person you want making those deals where they have nothing to lose.

Don's 2019 was masterful with Coyle and Johansson and he could do the same again, I have faith. Without them they don't go anywhere.

Again, if Rask and Krejci aren't in your long term plans they better have the balls to ship them out and get something for them....If you don't think they can help you six months from now, where are they here?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Also Gryz, Bjork, Heinen (turned iicnto Ritchie) and Donato (turned into Coyle).

He also inherited zero defensive prospects really and has done a great job there, but has drafted any impact forwards as of yet, although DeBrusk was at one point IMO. Weird thing is every forward prospect they seem to have hits a peak and falls off a cliff.

Let's hope Steen is a hit. Frederic seems to be a good find also though he is an impact guy in a different way. I haven't written of Senyshyn either though I think most here have. Lauko could be another one that hits. Studnicka is looking like a keeper also, just needs some NHL seasoning and strength. It's not a brilliant list by any means, but it is not a complete washout either (yet).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can't coach up garbage all the time. Maybe it's time they actual;ly addressed the fact that nobody other than their top line can score in this league?
I’m coach I do this to get short & long term
10 games if health

answers
63-37-23

74- 46-88

21-13-12

11-52-19/14

Reactions: LSCII

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I know this may not be a popular opinion but , I am the point where at least short term, the best thing the Bruins could do for any success this year would be to let Bruce go.

Firing Sweeney and making Bruce coach/gm is what I'm leaning towards.
Bruce's presser today, still looks pissed.

Reactions: MattFromFranklin

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
My biggest issue with Cassidy is not harping on his players to play his system enough. When Cassidy became coach, we heard about the D carrying pucks out of their zone for quick transitions, short and quick tape to tape passes, and a triangle offense in the offensive zone.

The Bruins haven't played that way in the past few seasons. I was expecting they would when the Bruins moved on from Chara and Krug since those were two of the Bruins' slowest defensemen, but nothing changed. All lines are guilty of looking for the perfect pass and the perfect play to score a goal like they are using the powerplay mentality 5 on 5. The 1st line can get away with it because of their talent and chemistry, but the other three lines look like headless chickens when they are out there. Like there's no plan when they enter the offensive zone.

What happened to the strong forecheck, taking pucks to the net, behind the net, and moving their feet to open lanes? Is it laziness, complacence? They are capable of "turning on the switch" so to say, but thinking they can do that at any time isn't winning hockey.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Get rid of Neely, too. Or at the very least, demote him back to being a figurehead who shakes hands with sponsors and acts like a maniac when the team scores goals in the playoffs. A mediocre hockey mind who has signed off on several bad moves.

Reactions: TOR1970Cup

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
It's so odd that the bottom three lines all do this crap, no matter the personnel. It's not just this year, either. I certainly don't disagree with him, but he HAS been the coach while this has been an ongoing issue. Kind of reminds me of the NHL not doing shit about Tim Peel for years, then all of a sudden noticing he's a POS ref.
I get that criticism, but Bruce isn't the one who has been picking out the groceries and has whiffed on UFA signings and slam-dunk draft picks. It's not like he's Belichick who is GM and Coach. You could put just about any coach on this team and the results might be even worse than they are now. Bruce has done a solid job coaching a one-line team over the last 4-5 years.

Reactions: GordonHowe

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I get that criticism, but Bruce isn't the one who has been picking out the groceries and has whiffed on UFA signings and slam-dunk draft picks. It's not like he's Belichick who is GM and Coach. You could put just about any coach on this team and the results might be even worse than they are now. Bruce has done a solid job coaching a one-line team over the last 4-5 years.
Certainly he has done a good job in some areas, but I still maintain on the subject of perimeter shooting (which influences lack of 5v5 scoring) that he has to be held culpable to a large extent. The evidence more than backs this up. There are teams with much worse personnel than the Bs that still find a way to go to the net to get goals better than the Bs. Agree that DS has dropped the ball, but there has been enough on the roster the past couple years to at least be able to engage in better driving to the net and scoring 5v5 goals. The shot charts some games are just flat out embarrassing. If it's not the offensive system at play on this issue, then that means pretty much the entire team is ignoring the coaching staff, which is obviously not a good thing. Either way, things need to change.

Reactions: kjpm

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
'
You don't want to do that. Coach/GM hasn't worked in a really long time.

I believe Bruce is a very good coach. Keep him.

It's SweenNeely who should go if things fall apart. But, I doubt that will happen. They probably have one more season to burn.

It's also uncommon for managment to change hands while a coach stays, as the new guys want their choice.

We shall see.

Reactions: MattFromFranklin

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
'
You don't want to do that. Coach/GM hasn't worked in a really long time.

I believe Bruce is a very good coach. Keep him.

It's SweenNeely who should go if things fall apart. But, I doubt that will happen. They probably have one more season to burn.

It's also uncommon for managment to change hands while a coach stays, as the new guys want their choice.

We shall see.
When’s the last time there was a coach/gm in the NHL? Seems like a thing of the past.

I can remember Bryan Murray doing it with Ottawa a few times in between coaching fires but nothing long term of recent.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
That 2011 team would not have done anything without netting Pevs, Kelly and even Kaberle before the deadline. The team that was playing bad needed a huge commitment from their GM at the time and he did just that....will ours?

he did in 2019, the pickups that year were great. Can he do it again? Is it worth the price, ie do they have a legit shot? Not sure.
But he did score big in 2019, can’t ignore that.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad