Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I have to admit I was kinda sceptical when they fired Julien.
Our defense didn't (and still doesn't) look too good on paper and they often got exposed in spite of Julien's system.
It was good to see they can hold their own.

That being said, I hope Cassidy finds a way to teach them some ways to exit the zone. Especially when guys like Chara, K. Miller and McQuaid have the puck it almost always means possession for the opponent because the puck gets mindlessly chipped off the glass instead of making a play.
It also cost us because of those stupid delay of game-penalties.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
why?

you don't think he did a heck of a job?

who are some candidates Sweeney should look at then?

If I was Sweeney i would look at Cassidy unless Sweeney is really a goldfish in a man's suit with a short memory

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
If I was Sweeney i would look at Cassidy unless Sweeney is really a goldfish in a man's suit with a short memory

Agreed.....the only other move I could get behind would be Nate Leaman....otherwise, just give Cassidy a 2 year deal and play it out.....either way, this team is getting younger and faster and either of these coaches would be good fits

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
I compare BC to Brad Stevens... Because they both became head coach in a situation with players that didn't necessarily fit their system, but were able to manage and take the right step in the right direction. I feel like once BC starts getting the right players into the system he'll start making this team into perennial playoff team like Stevens has the Celtics in right now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He did a good job but Dan ****ing Bylsma is out there

Disco Dan is one of my favorite coach nicknames, but I have to say that "Butch" Cassidy is right there. Two year deal to make sure he's the right fit going forward. If they continue to improve then you can always extend him and if things go wrong, you aren't tied in to a long term deal.

I thought he did a good job with the team when they were healthier and more skill is on the way in the near future.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland

858449-dory7.jpg

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
It's hard to know, because we don't get to see what happens behind closed doors, but on the face of things, it sure seems that he did a great job since Feb. I'd say bring him back unless some superstar coach becomes available.

Maybe it's good to have a coach grow with the team, and he certainly knows some of the young players coming up in the system.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Wow, this is a bigger man than I. There is no way I could have bit my toungue as much as this poor guy had too during that press confernce with the questions that were asked. I sure hope he coaches this team going forward, it's a shame he can't say what he really thinks, all the twitching gives that away IMO.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
How do they not at least give him a full season to see what he can do in the longer run? I was really impressed overall with him coming in and taking the reins like that.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How do they not at least give him a full season to see what he can do in the longer run? I was really impressed overall with him coming in and taking the reins like that.

same here.
I say remove the 'interim' tag. Give him 2 years and the chance to start fresh at training camp.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'd be good with him getting the job too. Mostly because he says all the right things all the time to me. He's going to improve too, this isn't his ceiling.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruce Cassidy, asked if he wants to be back next season as the Bruins’ coach, his “interim†tag removed, was short and to the point: “Absolutely . . . 100 percent.â€

Despite losing the first-round playoff series to Ottawa, the Bruins are likely this week, perhaps in the next day or two, to make the hiring formal.

“I am proud of the guys’ effort from Feb. 9 on,†said Cassidy. “We put ourselves in a position to be here in the first place. I think we played well enough to have the the opportunity to advance, but they made a few more plays than us. Every game could have [gone] either way. I am proud of the players. If we could have made a play or two more, we’d moving on . . . to New York.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ants-return/j6HHzYHG1PfvWDRwvtTkHM/story.html

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I've got mixed feeling about him personally.

On the one hand, he did as well as anyone could have asked given the situation he walked into.

On the other hand, there are some things about his style and approach I don't like. Some examples...

They give up the puck more than I'd like... Maybe that's my own personal preference but I've never seen a team chip more pucks off the glass and out. This used to be a possession team, now they're a chip and chase team.

He was not the pro "youth" coach people expected him to be. In fact, he was 100% the opposite. During the regular season, all of the young players on this team played less under him than Julien. And they played less and less as the season wore on. Playing dependable guys like Moore and Nash over Vatrano and Spooner helped them win and get into the playoffs, but the future of this team is the youth coming along. Guys who can step in and be difference makers on their first shift in the NHL (guys like McAvoy) are few and far between. Most young players need to be worked in slowly and consistently. Will he do that? Will he give Cehlarik or Czarnik or DeBrusk a chance to play regular minutes next year? Why didn't he do that for Vatrano? (Fwiw, I'm not saying he can't or won't do those things, I'm just saying, he wasn't as pro youth as I'd hoped or expected, and it makes me wonder how he'll be going forward.)

Playoff performance... Let me just say I don't put that series on him by any means, but again there were some things I wasn't crazy about... I felt like Boucher knew Cassidy wanted to make plays from below the goal line so he'd have his D leave the front of the net early to pick off cycle passes, and the B's never adjusted or changed things up. They kept trying to force plays down low, and if you watch the tape this is where most of our offensive sequences got broken up... The too many men penalties don't look good on the coach or his staff... There are a few others but the last one that sticks with me is that I felt like we weren't physical enough in this series. I thought it picked up a bit in Game 6 but I didn't get the sense that we were trying to punish Karlsson enough. He played all those minutes and I consistently saw guys pull up rather than finish their checks on him. Is that not part of every team's game plan? Punish the other team's best players? They certainly targeted Marchand and Pasta.

I don't know, like I said, mixed bag for me. He did a lot of good things too. He got their attention and helped get them into the playoffs. That deserves to be rewarded... I think it it were me running the ship, I'd still look around just in case somebody blows my sox off, and if not I'd offer him a 1 year deal. Why only 1 year? Well, I'd like to see some of those questions answered. And it's not like he's going to be getting multi year offers from other teams. So why not? Why commit to multi years if you don't have to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad