Rumor: Bruce Boudreau Extension coming shortly: Update - Nope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Ownership should kindly shut the f*** up and leave the hockey ops decisions to the people who didn't spend the last 8 years employing (and trusting) the former buffoon.
I think you’re right. I hate Benning. But I kinda don’t. I don’t respect him whatsoever, that’s for sure. That said, I get it. He did whatever he felt he had to to keep his high paying job, getting more and more desperate as he realized the totality of his blunders, if he indeed did. It’s Aquilini who I f***ing hate with the fury of a thousand suns. He is the one who could have fixed this seven f***ing years ago when we knew Benning was an abortion, and then f***ed us repeatedly for nearly a decade by continually employing our tormentor despite the obvious atrocities he was inflicting upon us.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
From earlier today. Dreger doesn’t talk about the Canucks unless he’s sure about what he’s saying.

Huh? Dreger likes to talk out of his ass about the Canucks.

I don't know what ownership's expectations are but I think we can all agree that Boudreau exceeded expectations and almost hit all the checkmarks.

If ownership gave Boudreau a chance and he met expectations or exceeded it a little bit then ya Dreger's comments makes sense. But Boudreau kind of blew away expectations and brought fans into the stadium and provided fans with additional entertainment. Realistically speaking, how much extra money did Boudreau earn for Aquilini?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

I'm kinda curious to know what these "minor but important" details are that need to be ironed out before Boudreau agrees to exercise his option to return as the HC of the Canucks.

I try not to speculate on such things, but I can easily see this heading in multiple directions, some of which result in BB not coaching the Canucks next season.

My understanding is that the ball is entirely in BB's court. He may have legitimate reasons why he hasn't formally exercised his option to return as the Canucks HC. I'm just curious to know what those reasons are.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm kinda curious to know what these "minor but important" details are that need to be ironed out before Boudreau agrees to exercise his option to return as the HC of the Canucks.

I try not to speculate on such things, but I can easily see this heading in multiple directions, some of which result in BB not coaching the Canucks next season.

My understanding is that the ball is entirely in BB's court. He may have legitimate reasons why he hasn't formally exercised his option to return as the Canucks HC. I'm just curious to know what those reasons are.

If its not about the contract, it has to be assistant coaches or roster construction?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
“Hurry up and make your decision now. Don’t wait until June 1st.”

ah, that makes sense

If its not about the contract, it has to be assistant coaches or roster construction?

unless bruce was lying, i don't think it's about roster construction. i mean i guess no coach is ever going to admit to making roster demands, whether it's boudreau, AV, or even keenan, but he did sound sincere when he said in his season post-mortem press conference that he wasn't interested in having a larger voice in roster construction.

that said, re: the timing question above, i do wonder if he's waiting on maybe what happens to miller before signing on, because that is a major major factor in what he's going to be signing on for. otoh, i'm guessing the deadline on his option, if it's june 1, is probably going to come and go before he gets any clarity on the miller front.

but at his age, experience, and track record, if i were him i probably would want the autonomy to hire my own staff. going into the last year of a contract without an extension, i'd certainly want to surround myself with the optimal people to put myself in the best possible position to succeed. whereas if i had 2-3 years left, i might be willing to see how it goes a little longer before firing and hiring.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
It is a conspiracy but it almost seems like management wants to keep this team mediocre just below the playoff line.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
It is a conspiracy but it almost seems like management wants to keep this team mediocre just below the playoff line.

By running it back with BB and keeping the same team?

Even if we unload Miller, Myers and someone else this likely going to be a lower end bubble team next year too. Unless we get lucky with injuries to other teams, management strikes a miracle with a trade or signing or the players take major, major steps forward then this team is likely going to be the 18th best team in the NHL at best

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
but at his age, experience, and track record, if i were him i probably would want the autonomy to hire my own staff. going into the last year of a contract without an extension, i'd certainly want to surround myself with the optimal people to put myself in the best possible position to succeed. whereas if i had 2-3 years left, i might be willing to see how it goes a little longer before firing and hiring.
I wonder if the details have to do with management wanting input on his assistants with the aim of BB training his own replacement. Of course, at his age, BB can't be under any illusion that he'll be coaching forever. But on the other hand, perhaps he wants to have more input whereas JR/Allvin wants Vellucci in as 2nd in command with the tacit agreement that he'll replace BB after next season. Could be left unsaid, but with the writing clearly on the wall.

Reactions: MarkMM

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

I am inclined to completely ignore what the media says because it’s 90% blown out of proportion.

Part of me does wonder though if management has relayed the idea of trading Miller/Myers/Garland for example and potentially taking a half step back.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Can we all just understand that when Friedman is on the podcast circuit, he's not breaking any actual news AND that's fine? I actually don't mind a guy who understands the league speculating on situations/likely outcomes. I mean, it's sports journalism after all. I just think the way quotes get tweeted out messes with people's expectations and makes them think it's supposed to be some revelation.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Dreger has shit on the Canucks and tried to stir up controversy since Nonis got fired. I don’t think anyone should put any stick into what he says about the team.

Why would ownership or anyone be upset at this point? There is a clause in the contract for both sides to execute (or not). It’s not a big deal and means nothing if he exercises the clause now or at 11:59 pm May 31.

I’m sure now that new management is in place, he knows exactly the state of the team and presumably the way forward he wants some questions answered before moving forward himself. It’s all very normal things for a person in any job to investigate before deciding to stay.

And he decides not to stay and uses the time he has available to him to make the decision then who the f*** cares. The decision day is clear in the contract so no business would actually expect any decision earlier. If it does come earlier it’s simply a bonus.

No one gets this paranoid about qualifying offers for players a week or two out from the deadline. This isn’t anything different.

Reactions: strattonius

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Dreger has shit on the Canucks and tried to stir up controversy since Nonis got fired. I don’t think anyone should put any stick into what he says about the team.

Why would ownership or anyone be upset at this point? There is a clause in the contract for both sides to execute (or not). It’s not a big deal and means nothing if he exercises the clause now or at 11:59 pm May 31.

I’m sure now that new management is in place, he knows exactly the state of the team and presumably the way forward he wants some questions answered before moving forward himself. It’s all very normal things for a person in any job to investigate before deciding to stay.

And he decides not to stay and uses the time he has available to him to make the decision then who the f*** cares. The decision day is clear in the contract so no business would actually expect any decision earlier. If it does come earlier it’s simply a bonus.

No one gets this paranoid about qualifying offers for players a week or two out from the deadline. This isn’t anything different.

It might be different than qualifying offers for players but truthfully I can't think of an example of another coach in this position.

In any case I agree that most of this thread is saturated with paranoia about not a whole lot. I think there's a fear we lose one of the only bright spots from last year for nothing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Can we all just understand that when Friedman is on the podcast circuit, he's not breaking any actual news AND that's fine? I actually don't mind a guy who understands the league speculating on situations/likely outcomes. I mean, it's sports journalism after all. I just think the way quotes get tweeted out messes with people's expectations and makes them think it's supposed to be some revelation.
100%. Will people stop reporting speculative thought bubbles as anything but. Thinking out loud is all Friedman is doing and that's all he claims to be doing. He's no different to us on the board in that.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Friedman and marek pulling guesses out of their asses, again.
The usual media suspects have clearly demonstrated they dont know literally anything about this situation.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It might be different than qualifying offers for players but truthfully I can't think of an example of another coach in this position.

In any case I agree that most of this thread is saturated with paranoia about not a whole lot. I think there's a fear we lose one of the only bright spots from last year for nothing.

It’s not exactly the same of course because there is a signed year if options are picked up rather than simply owning rights. But it’s a contract with timeframes. No business really expects early answers when there are written deadlines though of course they’d like early acceptance. No other coach may be in that situation but that just means there they don’t have such an option. Boudreau agent knew the Canucks were desperate and got a somewhat unusual clause negotiated in. Good for him. My comment on the players is simply no one really panic because the qualifying offers weren’t all filed or made public on June 10 when there is still a few weeks to get them sent out.

We also don’t actually know if the contract option has been formally executed on the Canucks side. We’ve just heard that sure they’d like to have him back. I assume it is but it’s just an assumption.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If Boudreau is becoming a distraction for the club move on from him… we need to be focused on the draft and how to move the team forward, a coach at this stage is a very minor thing to be consuming our time and energy on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad