TSN: Brown will no longer be Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I understand the logic of flipping Martinez for a RHD, but to say that the Kings are "loaded" on the left side is reaching. Outside of Muzzin and Martinez, you have a bunch of question marks. LHD might be easier to find, but let's not pretend McNabb, Gravel or Forbort would just slip right into the second pair.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I understand the logic of flipping Martinez for a RHD, but to say that the Kings are "loaded" on the left side is reaching. Outside of Muzzin and Martinez, you have a bunch of question marks. LHD might be easier to find, but let's not pretend McNabb, Gravel or Forbort would just slip right into the second pair.

True but at least there is potential on the left side.
I owuld move Martinez for Pysyk. Buffalo is deep on the right side and I think he could be had. It would also save on cap.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
True but at least there is potential on the left side.
I owuld move Martinez for Pysyk. Buffalo is deep on the right side and I think he could be had. It would also save on cap.

Is Pysyk as good as Martinez though?(I haven't seen much of Pysyk) Moving Kopitar for Zajac also saves on cap :sarcasm:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think people WANT to trade Martinez, they just recognize he's likely the most expendable player with value, that the expansion draft means we could probably only keep three top d-men (and thus Martinez would likely get poached there anyway if we upgraded), and that LHD is a position of relative strength in the org. vs. RHD.

I.E. Doughty / Muzzin, Trouba / McNabb, Gravel / Greene / Forbort is a 'better' setup than Doughty / eh, Campbell?, Muzzin / Martinez, McNabb / Greene / Gravel because behind Doughty we have McBain (UFA with Schenn, btw) then...Ebert? lol.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Especially given how weak we are on D.

Obviously we'd be getting a defenseman of equal or better value in return, so its not like it would create a huge hole. And ideally we'd be getting another right hander, which is sorely needed.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I don't get the trade Martinez camp.

One word: Future

Kings don't have a good enough team now to go for a cup.

They don't have the assets coming to put them over the top, unless they get lucky with some guys coming out of nowhere.

They don't have the cap space to fill all the holes to become competitive.

About the only play is sell off current assets to bring in future assets and re-stock the prospect pool, hopefully getting enough quick enough that they can compete before some of the older guys start falling off.

Assets that can be traded for a return. Muzzin/Martinez/Toffoli/Pearson.

Otherwise you're waiting to see if you can lose the Brown contract and have enough cap space to fill the holes. Not much of a plan.

Edit: Toffoli, has one year remaining on current deal, that the Kings aren't looking to be all that competitive in. He will need a new contract probably in the 5M+ range. The next month is the time to figure out if he's someone that the Kings want to be paying 5-6M/year for. I'm not saying yes or no, just now is the time to decide.

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Why trade for/sign any dman if it's going to be status quo? Gonna have to roll with the expansion draft like it or not. Cross that bridge when you get there.

I want the top three in place and to add to it. If you get an upgrade, expose Amart and see what happens. Use that money on a new free agent if needed.

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
One word: Future

Kings don't have a good enough team now to go for a cup.

They don't have the assets coming to put them over the top, unless they get lucky with some guys coming out of nowhere.

They don't have the cap space to fill all the holes to become competitive.

About the only play is sell off current assets to bring in future assets and re-stock the prospect pool, hopefully getting enough quick enough that they can compete before some of the older guys start falling off.

Assets that can be traded for a return. Muzzin/Martinez/Toffoli/Pearson.

Otherwise you're waiting to see if you can lose the Brown contract and have enough cap space to fill the holes. Not much of a plan.

Edit: Toffoli, has one year remaining on current deal, that the Kings aren't looking to be all that competitive in. He will need a new contract probably in the 5M+ range. The next month is the time to figure out if he's someone that the Kings want to be paying 5-6M/year for. I'm not saying yes or no, just now is the time to decide.

Sounds like you are advocating a rebuild.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Sounds like you are advocating a rebuild.

Got about 2 years to pull it off to still leave a window 3-5 years out for the core to take another shot at it.

Also I feel the defense is just a jumbled mess of the aftermath of 2 cups, retiring, cap casualties, and domestic violence, that was patched with duct tape. Not to mention losing Ellerby for nothing. :laugh: It would seem that the Kings might be able to get guys in a similar skill range that might slot together better. Right now it's Doughty playing with, I mean "by", himself, and Muzzin/Martinez on the second pair because that's the best the Kings have. When designing a cup winning defense that doesn't seem like the way to draw things up.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Friend, there's even a trade Toffoli camp. Losing makes people do wacky things.

Since the offseason started, people have proposed Kopitar, Muzzin, Martinez, Gaborik, Toffoli, Pearson, Carter, Quick and pretty much everyone on the bottom 6 and the bottom pair.

Pretty sure Doughty is the only one I haven't seen offered for trade. I'm sure that will happen before the offseason is over. :laugh:

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I don't think people WANT to trade Martinez, they just recognize he's likely the most expendable player with value, that the expansion draft means we could probably only keep three top d-men (and thus Martinez would likely get poached there anyway if we upgraded), and that LHD is a position of relative strength in the org. vs. RHD.

I.E. Doughty / Muzzin, Trouba / McNabb, Gravel / Greene / Forbort is a 'better' setup than Doughty / eh, Campbell?, Muzzin / Martinez, McNabb / Greene / Gravel because behind Doughty we have McBain (UFA with Schenn, btw) then...Ebert? lol.

This post is winning ! I agree 100%

Since the offseason started, people have proposed Kopitar, Muzzin, Martinez, Gaborik, Toffoli, Pearson, Carter, Quick and pretty much everyone on the bottom 6 and the bottom pair.

Pretty sure Doughty is the only one I haven't seen offered for trade. I'm sure that will happen before the offseason is over. :laugh:

I proposed the bottom 6 and rightfully so. We are a 2 line team and have one of the weakest bottom 6 in the entire league.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

To be fair the "Trade Kopitar" stuff started before his contract was signed mid season. :)

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
People, especially the media seem to get this wrong every time. They all say "the Kings barely made the playoffs in 2012..." , but if you actually do a small bit of research you'll find they made it by 5 points, plus they held the tie breaker. In baseball terms, that's like saying the Yankees won the championship by only making the playoffs with a 3 game lead. It really came down to the last weekend of the season who would win the division and finish 2nd and 3rd.

If I'm not mistaken, the Kings were the first team in the division to actually clinch a playoff spot. But poor results in the last couple of games sealed the 3rd place finish.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If there was an expansion draft today the Kings would protect Doughty, Muzzin and Martinez as the big 3. They would leave McNabb, Greene, Forbort and Scuderi unprotected.

Unless they deal for or sign someone who is an upgrade over Martinez, the same group will be unprotected next year.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If I'm not mistaken, the Kings were the first team in the division to actually clinch a playoff spot. But poor results in the last couple of games sealed the 3rd place finish.

Yep, I think they lost both game against the Sharks and all PHX had to do was win 1 of 2. It is interesting to think that had they won the division, they'd have played the Hawks in the first round.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If there was an expansion draft today the Kings would protect Doughty, Muzzin and Martinez as the big 3. They would leave McNabb, Greene, Forbort and Scuderi unprotected.

Unless they deal for or sign someone who is an upgrade over Martinez, the same group will be unprotected next year.

You guys would protect Martinez over McNabb? Honestly surprised but I believe you.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You guys would protect Martinez over McNabb? Honestly surprised but I believe you.

At this exact moment, absolutely. Martinez is a surefire #4 on a good long-term deal with lots of experience and a dynamic element. I like McNabb a lot more than many others but he isn't that guy yet.

Could change easily next year, and it would suck badly to lose EITHER to be honest, one of my biggest fears in the expansion draft is losing McNabb/Gravel and even Forbort for nothing. Would figure that we can't figure out our post-Voynov defense, then in 2016 all three of those guys stick, and we lose another top-four guy immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad