TSN: Brown will no longer be Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I don't think people WANT to trade Martinez, they just recognize he's likely the most expendable player with value, that the expansion draft means we could probably only keep three top d-men (and thus Martinez would likely get poached there anyway if we upgraded), and that LHD is a position of relative strength in the org. vs. RHD.

I.E. Doughty / Muzzin, Trouba / McNabb, Gravel / Greene / Forbort is a 'better' setup than Doughty / eh, Campbell?, Muzzin / Martinez, McNabb / Greene / Gravel because behind Doughty we have McBain (UFA with Schenn, btw) then...Ebert? lol.

Ladue is RH and may be fast tracked. (not saying he will play NHL this year) The AHL defensemen that made it quicker to the team, were the better skating, skilled ones -
Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin. (although Voynov spent 3 yrs in Manch, he was probably ready after 1 year there - just no room for him) Ladue has skill and can skate.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
McNabb has 5 goals in 189 NHL games, I don't think we're gonna see a sudden surge of offense from him. No doubt if you have 3 to protect McNabb is not one of them. Bottom 6 dmen are a dime a dozen.

Hard to believe McNabb scored 99 points in Kootenay in 2010-11.
22 goals 50 assists, 72 pts in 59 reg season...followed by
3 goals, 24 assists in 19 playoff games.

78 games, 25 goals and 74 assists. Few junior defensemen have ever
attained such numbers. Where is it? lol

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=98196

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hard to believe McNabb scored 99 points in Kootenay in 2010-11.
22 goals 50 assists, 72 pts in 59 reg season...followed by
3 goals, 24 assists in 19 playoff games.

78 games, 25 goals and 74 assists. Few junior defensemen have ever
attained such numbers. Where is it? lol

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=98196

A lot of it was PP time first unit. He hasn't really been put in 'offensive' situations the same way but he does have a cannon, he's just gotta work on finding ways to get it through. And we've seen some of his vision. Still putting it together.

I don't think he's ever gonna be a 40-50 point guy, but he has the latent offensive talent.

Edit: obviously a lot happens between the draft and the NHL, but look at the things people say about him here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=903654&highlight=mcnabb

junior scoring doesn't necessarily translate to the nhl especially when you can't physically dominate everyone (McNabb is big, but not quick enough to be that dominant physically), but that's the 'high ceiling' stuff I see.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Ladue is RH and may be fast tracked. (not saying he will play NHL this year) The AHL defensemen that made it quicker to the team, were the better skating, skilled ones -
Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin. (although Voynov spent 3 yrs in Manch, he was probably ready after 1 year there - just no room for him) Ladue has skill and can skate.

LaDue is going to surprise some guys this year but he'll definitely need time to adjust. Big step up for college to the NHL. Less so than the CHL but he'll still need to learn the speed of the game.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
LaDue is going to surprise some guys this year but he'll definitely need time to adjust. Big step up for college to the NHL. Less so than the CHL but he'll still need to learn the speed of the game.

At the very least he gives me something to get excited about

Jul 31, 2005
CA

I have never seen him play but the article I read when the Kings signed him was he was comparable in all around style to Voynov. To me I think that's the key when you're looking at these young Dmen and figuring out who's gonna arrive and contribute first. The Kings want somebody who can bring it as the #3 or 4 guy, probably not gonna be #2 and if you're 5 or 6 the scouts chose the wrong guy.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I have never seen him play but the article I read when the Kings signed him was he was comparable in all around style to Voynov. To me I think that's the key when you're looking at these young Dmen and figuring out who's gonna arrive and contribute first. The Kings want somebody who can bring it as the #3 or 4 guy, probably not gonna be #2 and if you're 5 or 6 the scouts chose the wrong guy.

I think it also depends on the type of D-men. The puck moving offensive types can move up quicker as their game is built around speed and getting sticks in lanes. The stay at home d-man takes longer as they have to build up strength to clear the net and be physical.

It is why Forbort is taking longer than some others

Jul 31, 2005
CA
At 51 years of age Gordie Howe scored 15 goals playing for the Whalers. At 31 years old Dustin Brown mustered only 11 goals last season. Fun facts.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
At 51 years of age Gordie Howe scored 15 goals playing for the Whalers. At 31 years old Dustin Brown mustered only 11 goals last season. Fun facts.

In Jagr's last 84 playoff games(going back to 2001), he has 15 goals, including 1 in the last 39. Brown has 19 in 81, including 9 in the last 49. Sometimes he does worse than a 50+ year old 30 years ago, sometimes he does better than a 40+ year old today.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site

9 players scored 50 or more goals, while 15 players scored 40 or more goals in 79-80, Gordie's last year at 51 years old. There was 8 100+ point players to go along with 9 90+ point players. Only 1 100+ point scorer last season, 1 50 goal scorer and 3 40 goal scorers. Even more fun facts. Apples to oranges.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
an article about Brown with charts and graphs of his pts per 60 over the last 3 yr and a standout chart with the pts of the players with or without him on the ice. Just about every player has more pts w/o him. The biggest standout was Kopitar

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/brown-contract-a-major-concern-for-kings-1.507259

There is another chart for GA/and GF per 60 and his defense isn't good either

So, in short: over the last three seasons, Los Angeles is out-scored with Brown on the ice. Considering the Kings have scored 54.7 per cent of even-strength goals in that timespan, Brown’s 48.4 per cent isn’t just below break-even of 50 per cent, it’s significantly lower than what would be considered team average, with players like Dwight King and Kyle Clifford vastly exceeding him on this front. So, no, his defensive play is not offsetting other deficiencies.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Surprise, Yost with his usual misinformed rant.

" Brown has always been an extremely reliable defensive player,"

Also fun that he uses GF/60 with teammates as a reliable indicator in this article when elsewhere he bangs on that and GA/60 on and office as unreliable markers (most notably when talking about defense w/Doughty, though GF/60 is okay when it involves Karlsson).

His conclusion isn't wrong, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say "Brown's contract is bad going forward," least you can do is not look like an idiot mainboarder who can't use advanced stats on your way to that conclusion. I'm just so, so sick of this guy having a prominent 'stats' position in the media, he's almost worse than Ryan Lambert at this point.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
It's almost like he literally destroys offense.

*Unless you are Stoll/Shore/Lewis.

Maybe this is like a Crosby thing. Brown just does better with grinders and grinders produce more when they're with Brown.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The more I've read the terms of a buy out for Brown the more I think tomorrow will be his last day as a King. From Brown's point of view I cannot imagine what it would feel like to walk into that Kings locker room first day of training camp if he remains.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
The more I've read the terms of a buy out for Brown the more I think tomorrow will be his last day as a King. From Brown's point of view I cannot imagine what it would feel like to walk into that Kings locker room first day of training camp if he remains.

Kings aren't looking like they'll be cup competitive next year anyways. There's no incentive to buy him out before the expansion draft. :(

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I think he's a King at least this year until expansion and then maybe a buyout if he's not claimed due to other contracts (notably TT)

I thought they'd wait a year period just to see what happens recovery-wise and because the buyout terms would be better but the difference there is negligible.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kings aren't looking like they'll be cup competitive next year anyways. There's no incentive to buy him out before the expansion draft. :(

How much space do they get next year if they were to buy him out? I'm seeing $5m+, so that would be an additional player somewhere. It's years 3/4, and 5/6 especially, where it hurts. But by then Gaborik and Carter are a few years older, Kopitar, Quick, Martinez, etc. Then years and years of almost $2m in dead cap space.

They're not Cup competitive, as of this October, because of Brown's contract. If it's $5m in cap space this summer buying Brown out, that's keeping Lucic, and getting another guy. That's more Cup competitive as of this October. It kills them in future seasons though.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Brown/Shore/Lewis was the best line for all 3 this year. They couldn't score, but they kept the puck.

I'd be interested in seeing scoring rates in shifts immediately following Brown/Shore/Lewis being on the ice.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I think he's a King at least this year until expansion and then maybe a buyout if he's not claimed due to other contracts (notably TT)

I thought they'd wait a year period just to see what happens recovery-wise and because the buyout terms would be better but the difference there is negligible.

The Kings have given him 2 years to bounce back. I think Lombardi has learned his lesson on loyalty, there is a good possibility if you keep Brown his numbers dip even lower as long as he refuses to go to the front of the net or the middle of the ice to generate offense. He's lost his compete, his edge and it's tim to cut him loose now to avoid a repeat of Richards and Stoll. If you re-sign Lucic and buy out Brown all of the sudden the Kings are looking like a much different team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad