TSN: Brown will no longer be Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
@frank_seravalli 12m12 minutes ago

Hearing Dustin Brown has been told he will no longer be captain of the #LAKings. They want to go in a different direction with the 'C.' #TSN

Whoa...

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I guess this rules him out for buyout/trade (not that it was very likely in the first place with that contract). If they could make something happen they would and just save him the embarrassment of being stripped of the letter.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess this rules him out for buyout/trade (not that it was very likely in the first place with that contract). If they could make something happen they would and just save him the embarrassment of being stripped of the letter.

Hadn't thought of it that way. Would be exceptionally cruel by DL standards to strip him of the C then trade him in the summer :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Say what you want about his decline in play this is still a little sad. The guy has been the captain all the way through best era in Kings history. Gotta give him props for that.

On a positive note san jose has done this multiple times and continued success (Damphousse, Marleau, Thornton).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Guy whose captained his team to two cup wins since 2012 stripped of the C.

Wow, I wouldn't do it but shocking. And if they planned to buy him out or trade him, why not just wait until the transaction is complete, rather than take away his dignity somewhat by stripping him.

After seeing the Sharks do this move successfully, I wonder how many teams will try to emulate this move. It's a copy-cat league after all.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I thought as long as he was a king he would be the captain.

Wonder if he gets an "A"...I doubt it

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Guy whose captained his team to two cup wins since 2012 stripped of the C.

Wow, I wouldn't do it but shocking. And if they planned to buy him out or trade him, why not just wait until the transaction is complete, rather than take away his dignity somewhat by stripping him.

After seeing the Sharks do this move successfully, I wonder how many teams will try to emulate this move. It's a copy-cat league after all.

I hope the sharks have nothing to do with this. The Canucks did it with Luongo (linden vs Messier too) to no success, the sharks did not have success when the took it away from Marleau to give to Joe, and it took two years of taking it away from Joe.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't understand why anyone in the hockey world is relating this to Thornton and the Sharks. Captains have been stripped of the "C" all throughout hockey history, they don't all get traded or retire...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope the sharks have nothing to do with this. The Canucks did it with Luongo (linden vs Messier too) to no success, the sharks did not have success when the took it away from Marleau to give to Joe, and it took two years of taking it away from Joe.

I think it rarely works. The Sharks are the anomaly, and it took them until their 2nd try.

To do it to a guy whose lead you to TWO championships, and fairly recent ones at that. The odds of this being a good move aren't in their favor. But chances are there is more behind the scenes to this move than we'll ever know. I don't see it just being a pure "change of direction" hoping to jump-start this group.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
To me this is a weak move by the organization but whatever. The changes need to be with the style were playing and not who's wearing a letter.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I don't understand why anyone in the hockey world is relating this to Thornton and the Sharks. Captains have been stripped of the "C" all throughout hockey history, they don't all get traded or retire...

Seriously. People act like San Jose is the only team to ever do it. It's not like this is going to magically make the Kings better.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Thornton was still putting up points when the Sharks did it. Brown hasn't. It's not quite the same. I don't imagine Lombardi, Mr. Loyalty, would do something like this just because another team did it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It's a copy-cat league, always has been. Stripping C's might be the new "in-thing".

I would suspect the list of captains stripped of their C is a fairly short one.

The list of captain's who have lead their team to TWO championships. Probably even shorter.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
To me this is a weak move by the organization but whatever. The changes need to be with the style were playing and not who's wearing a letter.

If it is Kopitar or Doughty, maybe management thinks that there is another level these guys could go to if they had the C whereas Brown hopefully can't play any worse regardless.

Not so sure about that with Kopitar but Doughty seems like a guy who would thrive with the responsibility, even if he is prone to whining and histrionics.

Regardless, you'll have Sutter saying there is tons of leadership in the room and the letters don't really matter except for who gets to talk to the refs.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
If it is Kopitar or Doughty, maybe management thinks that there is another level these guys could go to if they had the C whereas Brown hopefully can't play any worse regardless.

Not so sure about that with Kopitar but Doughty seems like a guy who would thrive with the responsibility, even if he is prone to whining and histrionics.

Regardless, you'll have Sutter saying there is tons of leadership in the room and the letters don't really matter except for who gets to talk to the refs.

I feel like Doughty would be worse with the C. Seems to play worse when he tries too hard. Like when he says, "I need to out play Karlsson/Subban for us to win." Then he goes out and completely sucks.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
Disgraceful way to treat him after everything he's done for the Kings organization. He earned that C.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
A. Something could be going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Something problematic (which being as this is Brown would be shocking as no King is more about the community, his family, and team then him. Things change though).

B. Maybe a way for him to focus more on his game? It's not a secret he's not been playing well for a few years. Less leadership pressure = more individual success?

C. I don't think you move the Captaincy before trading a guy. Seems a bit excessive.

All in all it's a shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad