Brouwer and McGinn getting PTO chance with Blues

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Remember when Tarasenko tried to get the team to sign Panarin and Hitch and Armstrong ignored him? Ya I remember. So grats on being the GM that does **** like that. :huh:

In The Slot: McGinn's ties to Blues center help him land tryout in St. Louis

Very specific quote from said article.

McGinn, who most recently was with the Florida Panthers (along with Brouwer) last season, was skating and working out in Toronto after playing in two games for Carolina's AHL team, the Charlotte Checkers. He and O'Reilly spoke, the former connected McGinn with Armstrong and a mutual agreement was made.

Connected is not recommended. Armstrong could have asked O'Rei about McGinn or McGinn could have asked ROR to let Army know he was interested. Both could occur without O'Reilly actually requesting Army do anything and both would still be connected.

For every example you give of a Panarin, there are probably 20 more examples like Steen being buddies with Joakim Lindstrom. As a GM, you can take recommendations from players but you have to do your own due diligence and be ready to tell a player no if you don't feel his buddy will not help the team.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Per JR Twitter: "#stlblues announce they’ve released Jamie McGinn from his PTO. Troy Brouwer will continue his tryout."

I thought McGinn was the one more likely not to make it. He failed to make the AHL Checkers on a PTO a few months ago. His back probably just isn't where it needs to be to play anymore unfortunately. Strange they didn't make a decision on Brouwer too. What's a couple more days going to tell you?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

Per JR Twitter: "#stlblues announce they’ve released Jamie McGinn from his PTO. Troy Brouwer will continue his tryout."

I thought McGinn was the one more likely not to make it. He failed to make the AHL Checkers on a PTO a few months ago. His back probably just isn't where it needs to be to play anymore unfortunately. Strange they didn't make a decision on Brouwer too. What's a couple more days going to tell you?

To see if anyone gets else injured? It isn't like they don't know and need to kick tires. Could be they also want to see how Kyrou does and if he continues to progress (which he has been).

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

It just seems respectful to give the guy his full 10 days for an evaluation. But isn’t Brouwer just one day behind McGinn in this process? Maybe we hear tomorrow.

Sucks for McGinn, but hopefully he can move on to the next stage of life and find something fulfilling.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
To see if anyone gets else injured? It isn't like they don't know and need to kick tires. Could be they also want to see how Kyrou does and if he continues to progress (which he has been).

Its literally 2 more days. The Blues get one more game, and there could be injuries; however, we'd probably have to make a decision on Brouwer before anyone could be evaluated by a doctor. Same with Kyrou, its only one more game. I guess Brouwer could pay his own way, and we could extend the tryout beyond 2 days. But if we are just deciding in a day or two, I'd think we'd have almost as much info now as then. If Brouwer isn't good enough for us to be sure he is worth signing after 8 days, do we really want him signed after 10?

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Its literally 2 more days. The Blues get one more game, and there could be injuries; however, we'd probably have to make a decision on Brouwer before anyone could be evaluated by a doctor. Same with Kyrou, its only one more game. I guess Brouwer could pay his own way, and we could extend the tryout beyond 2 days. But if we are just deciding in a day or two, I'd think we'd have almost as much info now as then. If Brouwer isn't good enough for us to be sure he is worth signing after 8 days, do we really want him signed after 10?
Your view seems biased toward cutting him. But Brouwer also has his own planning to do. They agreed to a 10 day try-out. He makes life plans around that. It’s disrespectful to Brouwer to not give him his full opportunity, and to change plans at short notice with regard to lodging and travel. He’s not under a regular contract with the team yet.

I don’t know if 10 days evaluation makes any difference compared to 8. How about 8 or 7? 7 or 6? You have to have some structure to the process, and the deal was for 10 days. I think they’d only cut it short if he were signed and they wanted him to play immediately.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It just seems respectful to give the guy his full 10 days for an evaluation. But isn’t Brouwer just one day behind McGinn in this process? Maybe we hear tomorrow.

Sucks for McGinn, but hopefully he can move on to the next stage of life and find something fulfilling.
Or possibly McGinn has another gig on the horizon so the Blues let him out early? Who knows. I don't worry too much about PTOs, they are a pig in a poke most of the time.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

What's the rush? I really don't see why anyone would really care about this. Brouwer is a respected vet who personally knows many of the guys on the team. I don't see how it can hurt to have him around for a few more days.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Your view seems biased toward cutting him. But Brouwer also has his own planning to do. They agreed to a 10 day try-out. He makes life plans around that. It’s disrespectful to Brouwer to not give him his full opportunity, and to change plans at short notice with regard to lodging and travel. He’s not under a regular contract with the team yet.

I don’t know if 10 days evaluation makes any difference compared to 8. How about 8 or 7? 7 or 6? You have to have some structure to the process, and the deal was for 10 days. I think they’d only cut it short if he were signed and they wanted him to play immediately.

What's the rush? I really don't see why anyone would really care about this. Brouwer is a respected vet who personally knows many of the guys on the team. I don't see how it can hurt to have him around for a few more days.

I'm not leaning either way. I can literally have no opinion as I have not seen Brouwer play on this PTO. I just find it odd they cut one guy and not the other. McGinn was cut a day early from his 10, so the Blues didn't honor his full 10 day commitment. It's not even really a commitment. A PTO is just a try-out. Blues make all the travel and accommodations. They can only do that for a maximum of 10 days, but there is no agreement to do so for the entire 10 days. They can cut a guy as soon as they know he isn't a fit, or they can sign him as soon as they know he is good enough.

All I am saying is that it is weird they do not know something yet, when they know about McGinn. IF they need 2 more days, or feel its respectful to give him 2 more days, whatever, give him 2 more days. I don't care. I just figured they'd know one way or another. I was wondering if keeping Brouwer when cutting McGinn meant (1) they are leaning more toward signing Brouwer or (2) if they are still on the fence about Brouwer or (3) is it just because he came to practice a day later and feel they owe him the extra day.

Last edited:

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
I'm not leaning either way. I can literally have no opinion as I have not seen Brouwer play on this PTO. I just find it odd they cut one guy and not the other. McGinn was cut a day early from his 10, so the Blues didn't honor his full 10 day commitment. It's not even really a commitment. A PTO is just a try-out. Blues make all the travel and accommodations. They can only do that fora maximum of 10 days, but their is no agreement to do so for the entire 10 days. They can cut a guy as soon as they know he isn't a fit, or they can sign him as soon as they know he is good enough.

All I am saying is that it is weird they do not know something yet, when they know about McGinn. IF they need 2 more days, or feel its respectful to give him 2 more days, whatever, give him 2 more days. I don't care. I just figured they'd know one way or another. I was wondering if keeping Brouwer when cutting McGinn meant (1) they are leaning more toward signing Brouwer or (2) if they are still on the fence about Brouwer or (3) is it just because he came to practice a day later and feel they owe him the extra day.
I’ve heard Jamie Rivers and Joe Vitale both say Brouwer looks pretty darn good. His conditioning and skating both looked up to par.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm not leaning either way. I can literally have no opinion as I have not seen Brouwer play on this PTO. I just find it odd they cut one guy and not the other. McGinn was cut a day early from his 10, so the Blues didn't honor his full 10 day commitment. It's not even really a commitment. A PTO is just a try-out. Blues make all the travel and accommodations. They can only do that for a maximum of 10 days, but there is no agreement to do so for the entire 10 days. They can cut a guy as soon as they know he isn't a fit, or they can sign him as soon as they know he is good enough.

I didn’t realize this was an early cut for McGinn. Not sure if we can read anything into this, but maybe Brouwer has a chance.

Maybe they HAVE decided, and it’s a matter of getting the contract ironed out?

Reactions: MissouriMook

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I didn’t realize this was an early cut for McGinn. Not sure if we can read anything into this, but maybe Brouwer has a chance.

Maybe they HAVE decided, and it’s a matter of getting the contract ironed out?
I would guess that Blues' evaluators saw convincing evidence that McGinn's back is still limiting his ability to play at a decent level, and knew there was no way they would sign him. They still are on the fence with Brouwer, and want to wait and see if any forward gets injured in the next game , and continue to watch Kostin's and Kyrou's progress. I don't think they want to add Brouwer if they were going to want to look at both Kyrou and Kostin right now for a few weeks until Steen returns. They would then lose DeLaRose on waivers. I don't know if 34 year old Brouwer (with more likelihood of missing playing time because of fatgue or future injury) has better long-term all-around player value than DeLaRose, despite the fact that he can score some, and add grit, and be a positive locker room presence.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Brouwer being signed is just gross.

He’s 34, he was always an incredibly mediocre player, now he’s below replacement level and we’re signing him....why?

Guy’s like Petan and Pirri who have offensive upside are available, to a team that is starved for goals and we sign Troy Brouwer?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Brouwer being signed is just gross.

He’s 34, he was always an incredibly mediocre player, now he’s below replacement level and we’re signing him....why?

Guy’s like Petan and Pirri who have offensive upside are available, to a team that is starved for goals and we sign Troy Brouwer?
Blais 10week out or Møre.

And we trsded Fabbri to DLR. Brouwer fits Berubes system.

I can already imagine Amy's presser, -"Brouwer is familiar player, we liked what we saw on him training sessions, he brings what we want veteran presence, gritty and great lockerroom guy, safe choice"

Last edited:
Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
son of a ..... that sucks
DisloyalBoilingGrebe-small.gif

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The price that will be payed playing a heavy style.

Its too bad, I thought Blais was really opening it up. He's been getting better and better.

Bring up Walker.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I’ve heard Jamie Rivers and Joe Vitale both say Brouwer looks pretty darn good. His conditioning and skating both looked up to par.
What is darn good? Good for guy who dont have (yet) contract, was Lehterä quick on skating when he played, hasnt played single game since 6th of April 2019.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad