Brouwer and McGinn getting PTO chance with Blues

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
lol waking up seeing this announcement.

DisloyalBoilingGrebe-small.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If we sign one of them, I hope it’s McGinn.

But this to me shows that the Blues really don’t care to see a guy like Nathan Walker up here. Not sure why, but I guess they don’t believe he will produce in the NHL.

I think this signals they just want to give Kostin and Kyrou more time. And once they’re ready, they’ll be called up.

Mar 6, 2012
I know it's a joke, but Brett Hull looked really really bad in the winter classic alumni game. Like, really really bad.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Is it too late to get Patty back from TB? we went from having too much depth for Maroon to now entertaining bringing back Troy Freaking Brouwer... Would rather give a guy like Walker a chance.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I know it's a joke, but Brett Hull looked really really bad in the winter classic alumni game. Like, really really bad.
Meanwhile my boy Pierre Turgeon was still ripping around out there pretty good. Let's drag him out of retirement.

To actually be on topic for the thread, whatever. They're depth, they've played in the NHL for quite a while, and they probably won't do much to hurt you. I'd rather have McGinn of the two, personally, but I don't think there's a sizable difference between the two. I hope Kyrou and Kostin knock on the door so hard in the AHL that they force Army's hand. Kyrou I think is pretty much at that point and probably would be in the NHL if not for the injury.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Meh, I guess I’m ok with this. Army stated he wanted vets since both Tarasenko and Steen are key vets (alternate captains too) and already have a number of inexperienced guys already playing. I don’t necessarily share that concern but I can see his point.

It’s not an exciting move but it’s also zero risk. If neither show they can’t help the team over the next 10 days in practice, cut them loose and try something else (which I assume would be bringing up someone from SA).

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Jaskin isn't leaving the KHL mid-season to come back and be the 13th forward on an NHL team.

I think we all need to pump the brakes here about what this type of move usually is. A mid-season PTO is almost always to see if a guy is worth a 2 way contract to plug an injury hole for 3-6 weeks and the get waived. Generally, the result of these types of PTOs is that no one else gets hurt and you never actually sign the guy. If someone else gets hurt, you have a couple options that have been practicing and getting familiar with the team who can be plugged in to the lineup instead of disrupting your AHL team.

It will be very surprising if either of these guys plays more than 10 games with the Blues this year. This is almost certainly about having warm bodies ready in case of another injury.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
For those that think McGinn is a better option, he would be if not for his back issues as discussed above. He signed a PTO already this year, with Carolina's AHL affiliate. He couldn't make the Charlotte Checkers and was let go. I don't think he is near healthy enough to make the Blues a few months later.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
This seems very much like a 'buying time' move to get another warm body to sit in the pressbox while our foward prospects get to keep playing big minutes. DA doesn't actually intend to play them if they even get a contract. Just healthy scratch time till Kyrou gets the call up.

No way can Brouwer keep up here, I don't blame anyone for thinking his PTO is pointless. McGinn is Mr. Chronic Back Issues so....yeah. Not expecting these PTO's to amount to anything so whatever. All this tells me is Doug is willing to climb in dumpsters to potentially give Kyrou a little more time.

Cue Lando Calrissian saying, "Han will get that shield down, we just need to give him a little more time!".

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Series of Tweeets for Rutherford with quotes from Army on the PTOs. Not going to link all of them, as some are just fluff praising out kids while not calling them up. Go check those out for yourself. But here are a few explaining the decision.....

Reactions: stl76 and Brian39

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It's like nobody remembers that Kyrou was hurt all summer and missed all camp and played like 3 games since February. And that he was awful when up early last year. Let the guy get some AHL games. He will be better for spending the next month in SA.

Was Kyrou awful, or was the team awful? IIRC, he got sent down right before/after Yeo got the axe. Because, really, you could say everybody was awful last year until December. Even Thomas looked bad until everything gelled, Kyrou just never got the chance Thomas did to ride the wave of success after the new year.

But regardless, I agree that he probably isn’t ready yet, needs a little more conditioning. Kostin or Poganski on the other hand... not sure why you wouldn’t throw them a bone and get them a game or two in the big boy jersey. Seems like the smarter long-term strategy too.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
So my question's are, how is calling up 1 more guy going totally young, when we have a core of 27+ year olds in Perron, ROR, Schenn, Schwartz, Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Faulk, etc?

Also, how do young players become experienced players if they won't get called up until they are experienced?

Bingo. They’re OUR prospects Army, it’s nobody’s fault but your own that they don’t have experience.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Tweets continued...

So my question's are, how is calling up 1 more guy going totally young, when we have a core of 27+ year olds in Perron, ROR, Schenn, Schwartz, Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Faulk, etc?

Also, how do young players become experienced players if they won't get called up until they are experienced?

Reading between lines it sounds like they want to make sure only to put kids on line with vets. So Blais was with Bozo and Steen, Thomas with Schenn and Schwartz, Sanford with ROR and Perron. If you replace Steen with a kid (and Tank is already out) you throw off balance they want. They would like Kostin or Kyrou will go into lineup when either (a) they feel Thomas and/or Blais has reached point where doesn't need hand held or (b) they replace one of those 2 or more likely Sanford in the lineup. So if they can have veteran plug for depth at this point they buy time and don't need to put Kostin or Kyrou into spot where they aren't comfortable putting them.

Reactions: CCBC

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Was Kyrou awful, or was the team awful? IIRC, he got sent down right before/after Yeo got the axe. Because, really, you could say everybody was awful last year until December. Even Thomas looked bad until everything gelled, Kyrou just never got the chance Thomas did to ride the wave of success after the new year.

But regardless, I agree that he probably isn’t ready yet, needs a little more conditioning. Kostin or Poganski on the other hand... not sure why you wouldn’t throw them a bone and get them a game or two in the big boy jersey. Seems like the smarter long-term strategy too.
The team was bad but Kyrou was particularly bad. His rel Corsi was -10, which is indicative of quality of his play. He wasn't ready. And his injury keeping him out of camp didn't help him this year. I expect we will see him this season though and he will look much better than he did last year.

Reactions: Renard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad