jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
upload_2019-11-11_10-39-36.png

Thoughts?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
How old is Brouwer now? He's probably slow as mud. How would he be able to keep up with his linemates and opponents while trying to play defence and forecheck in Berube's 200 foot system? I think he'd be a weak link, and drag down his line.

I'd be curious to see how McGinn will do in his tryout. I think he could help keep things together until either Kyrou is ready, or Steen can return.

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
McGinn is interesting option who could produce 30-35 points on the 3rd line. Brouwer..... nope, no, no chance, yikes, get out, no f***ing way. He is done. He has nothing left in the tank.

Neither is a better option over Kyrou IMO.

This is one of Armstrong's more annoying qualities. He will opt for grit and NHL experience of a declining and aging player over a giving a young promising prospect a chance.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
McGinn is interesting option who could produce 30-35 points on the 3rd line. Brouwer..... nope, no, no chance, yikes, get out, no ****ing way. He is done. He has nothing left in the tank.

Neither is a better option over Kyrou IMO.

This is one of Armstrong's more annoying qualities. He will opt for grit and NHL experience of a declining and aging player over a giving a young promising prospect a chance.
It's like nobody remembers that Kyrou was hurt all summer and missed all camp and played like 3 games since February. And that he was awful when up early last year. Let the guy get some AHL games. He will be better for spending the next month in SA.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
It's like nobody remembers that Kyrou was hurt all summer and missed all camp and played like 3 games since February. And that he was awful when up early last year. Let the guy get some AHL games. He will be better for spending the next month in SA.

I don't necessarily disagree. I think that it would have been prudent of Army to at least try out some of the guys in San Antonio like Walker, Poganski, Kostin and Kyrou before going dumpster diving. At the end of the day though it is just a PTO for both guys. My biggest fear is that Army will sign Brouwer out of familiarity because I truly do believe that he is done at the NHL level. His last few season have been train wrecks. I am honestly not that familiar McGinn but from what I remember of him I do think he could be an effective bottom 6 player.

Reactions: mk80

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
McGinn has scoring upside, seems to do well playing 3rd line but has had a lot of back problems in the last few years and could pose some problems on an already injured team. I have no desire for Brouwer, at all.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Just PTO's so we'll see what the ultimate decisions are. Out of the two, McGinn is the only one I'd be comfortable signing, but even saying that I'd rather we don't. Brouwer had that good run with us but I don't think he's the same player he was then, I fear the Blues will sign him though because he has been here before.

Kyrou just started playing after his injury, so rightfully so I'm fine with him continuing in the AHL, so far he's been doing well so definitely something to look at in the future with enough playing time under his belt again. Where these PTOs are puzzling is that we have a couple other in house replacements (namely Walker, or Kostin) that I'd like to look at before rushing off to pick through the discount veteran free agents barrell.

Also not meaning to throw a match on gasoline here but it bears the question: Wouldn't signing one or both of McGinn and Brouwer make De La Rose irrelevant? I'd imagine anyone signed from this PTO would at the highest slot into Steen's spot or the 4th line role vacated by someone else in that spot, so DLR would probably be the odd man out.

Last edited:

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Can't really speak to McGinn, but man, Brouwer? Really? He's been terrible for years now. Surely there's a better option out there.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I mean, if we're cool with retreads that are currently out of the league, why not Jaskin? At least he can defend.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I mean, if we're cool with retreads that are currently out of the league, why not Jaskin? At least he can defend.
Jaskin wasn't that bad. He could score some goals from time to time and was overall good defensively. He didn't pan out to be the player I think he was projected to be coming out of juniors, but not the worst player a team could have around.

Reactions: Blueston

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Mcginn outside a disasterous year on a terrible arizona team, has put up decent point per game totals for several years for a 3rd liner, his problem is he cant stay healthy

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Mcginn outside a disasterous year on a terrible arizona team, has put up decent point per game totals for several years for a 3rd liner, his problem is he cant stay healthy

From Wikipedia

McGinn suffers from a genetic back problem[19] that plagued him extensively during his pre-pro career. Cortisone, rehab, and major surgery in the summer of 2008 helped alleviate the pain, though the lingering effects still plague McGinn, especially due to his high-pace playing style.

Approaching the final year of his contract, McGinn missed training camp after undergoing back surgery, placing him indefinitely on the injured non-roster to begin the 2018–19 season.[12] Nearing a return after four months of rehabilitation, McGinn was placed on waivers by the Panthers on January 31, 2019.[13]

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
From Wikipedia

McGinn suffers from a genetic back problem[19] that plagued him extensively during his pre-pro career. Cortisone, rehab, and major surgery in the summer of 2008 helped alleviate the pain, though the lingering effects still plague McGinn, especially due to his high-pace playing style.

Approaching the final year of his contract, McGinn missed training camp after undergoing back surgery, placing him indefinitely on the injured non-roster to begin the 2018–19 season.[12] Nearing a return after four months of rehabilitation, McGinn was placed on waivers by the Panthers on January 31, 2019.[13]
Armstrong is looking for a guy to compete with Fabbri for the Masterson Trophy after he explodes in Detroit. 3D chess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad