Recalled/Assigned: Brossoit up and Nilsson down (update: Brossoit down and Nilsson up)

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Fayne was sent here to let him know that you screw up you are sent down. He was recalled very quickly and performed well according to the papers since. Same thing likely for Nilsson. Came down played great and now he is back up. Hopefully he can be good and get resigned so that LB can stay here one more year to make sure he is well seasoned.

1990*

:shakehead

While the last ten years have been difficult, we as fans have been able to keep our heads held high by noting management always tried to dress the best available roster on any given night- even as teams like Buffalo traded legitimate NHL goaltenders for AHLers and other GMs who will go unnamed admitted to ferocious, unfettered tanking.

However, Peter Chiarelli has brought that noble run to a halt. With Brossoit looking as though he might actually win some games- and with one of his (only) acquisitions on the precipice of being upstaged by a MacT get- Chia has done the unthinkable and chosen to make the team worse on purpose. That his own ego was a potential victim of keeping Brossoit around made it an even easier decision.

I don't know what anyone sees in this GM of ours. Has zero pride, zero gumption and zero interest in improving the Edmonton Oilers if it means making a particularly difficult or risky decision. Between this and Chiarelli's insistence that his "evaluation" period will need to run into next winter, this week right here might well be the low point for our franchise.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So what was the point of sending Nilsson down, if he's already back up?

But wouldn't they have already known that Talbot was going to get the lion's share of starts? I doubt since the demotion they just decided "Hey, I think we'll give Talbot lots of starts." Why even send Nilsson down in the first place? It's still a puzzling move to me.

Maybe because they weren't sure how Nilsson would react to being sent down, and even if Talbot was going to be playing the majority of the remaining games they still needed a backup who they could at least somewhat trust, and Nilsson's game was a mess?

It also could've been more of a punitive gesture, a "get your **** together" message to him, and with the message hopefully received they bring him back into the big club. Not much different from sending a young forward to the AHL for a week to get some minutes and collect himself.

Connor McBaevid

Nov 25, 2015
Calgary

While the last ten years have been difficult, we as fans have been able to keep our heads held high by noting management always tried to dress the best available roster on any given night- even as teams like Buffalo traded legitimate NHL goaltenders for AHLers and other GMs who will go unnamed admitted to ferocious, unfettered tanking.

However, Peter Chiarelli has brought that noble run to a halt. With Brossoit looking as though he might actually win some games- and with one of his (only) acquisitions on the precipice of being upstaged by a MacT get- Chia has done the unthinkable and chosen to make the team worse on purpose. That his own ego was a potential victim of keeping Brossoit around made it an even easier decision.

I don't know what anyone sees in this GM of ours. Has zero pride, zero gumption and zero interest in improving the Edmonton Oilers if it means making a particularly difficult or risky decision. Between this and Chiarelli's insistence that his "evaluation" period will need to run into next winter, this week right here might well be the low point for our franchise.

Overly dramatic much?:help:

That's not how it is. Brossoit played very well in his game and has certainly proven he can play in the NHL.

BUT.. Nilsson was not playing well and needed to go down as a wake-up call. It worked for Fayne, and we will see if it works for Nilsson. He had a chance to get more starts than he would here and it's a confidence builder. He played well, too.
Brossoit is supposed to be our future #1 goalie. By sending him down to be the #1 goalie on the AHL squad he is getting WAY more starts than he would see with the big club.
Both players got a boost. Whether or not Nilsson keeps it going is squarely on his shoulders.

It's not a tank move, it's asset management. Talbot is our #1 and he is signed for three more years. We want Brossoit to develop as much as possible till the time comes to pass him the reigns. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in the AHL next year as well

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi

while the last ten years have been difficult, we as fans have been able to keep our heads held high by noting management always tried to dress the best available roster on any given night- even as teams like buffalo traded legitimate nhl goaltenders for ahlers and other gms who will go unnamed admitted to ferocious, unfettered tanking.

However, peter chiarelli has brought that noble run to a halt. With brossoit looking as though he might actually win some games- and with one of his (only) acquisitions on the precipice of being upstaged by a mact get- chia has done the unthinkable and chosen to make the team worse on purpose. that his own ego was a potential victim of keeping brossoit around made it an even easier decision.

I don't know what anyone sees in this gm of ours. has zero pride, zero gumption and zero interest in improving the edmonton oilers if it means making a particularly difficult or risky decision. Between this and chiarelli's insistence that his "evaluation" period will need to run into next winter, this week right here might well be the low point for our franchise.

wtf??

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

It's better for Brossoit to play a bunch of games down in the AHL than sit on the bench and watch Talbot.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

This move is 100% about what is best for Brossoit's long term development, it is plainly clear Talbot will be getting the majority of the starts, the team believes more AHL starts versus NHL practice will benefit Brossoit more. What is best for Brossoit's long term development is really the only thing that is important in this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

This post really makes me question the sanity of some people on here. Yeah he's definitely doing it to make the team worse, not because he wants Brossoit to develop properly.

1990*

It seems I've really hit on a nugget of truth there, what with the vitriol so many fans of Chiarelli's, err, work are marching out. It doesn't feel so good to think your manager of choice might well be sewering the year on purpose, does it?

We'll see how Nilsson does- and more importantly, what Chia does if he continues to flounder in net to close out the year. Or maybe he just hasn't seen enough soft goals and 0-3 deficits after 20 to properly evaluate? :sarcasm:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It seems I've really hit on a nugget of truth there, what with the vitriol so many fans of Chiarelli's, err, work are marching out. It doesn't feel so good to think your manager of choice might well be sewering the year on purpose, does it?

We'll see how Nilsson does- and more importantly, what Chia does if he continues to flounder in net to close out the year. Or maybe he just hasn't seen enough soft goals and 0-3 deficits after 20 to properly evaluate? :sarcasm:
I'm not a fan of Chiarelli's work this season (in fact I'm pissed off about it) but holding this against him is insane. You really think Brossoit should be sitting on an NHL bench instead of playing a bunch of games in the AHL?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

What Nilsson will be doing is riding the pine for the remainder of the year outside maybe 1-3 games.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi

It seems you really hit on a nugget of pewp here, what with all of your ridiculous posts.

Connor McBaevid

Nov 25, 2015
Calgary

No, you didn't. You can claim anything you want. If it's so ridiculously wrong that 6 different people call you out on it, that doesn't mean it's true.

If I claim the Earth is flat there will be a bunch of people calling me on my BS.

Same issue here.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Wait wait wait. So sending Brossoit down to go and have a nice little playoff run with a team he dragged into playoffs and stay in game shape means the has no pride and is intentionally sewering the team even though the coach straight up said..

"we on playing Talbot most of the time down the stretch"

You do know that you can't get any lower than 30th right? That keeping Brossoit up for the 2 to maybe 3 starts isn't actually great for his develolment? And that the org sending Brossoit down means they want him to succeed and be ready next year and rather Nilsson sit on the bench rotting than our #1 current prospect not in the NHL?

Are you serious?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

:laugh: Is that you MacTavish???!!
What a load of tripe...maybe it's because the Condors are heading to the playoffs, and Nilsson got some confidence back?

tumblr_inline_mp8e7qu4131rtppx2.gif

1990*

I'm not a fan of Chiarelli's work this season (in fact I'm pissed off about it) but holding this against him is insane. You really think Brossoit should be sitting on an NHL bench instead of playing a bunch of games in the AHL?

I think he needs some actual NHL experience before we anoint him the backup for next season, or do we think throwing a kid with zero experience into the role is a good idea?

It's not like LB is straight out of major junior; he's been a pro now for three years. It's time to ensure he can handle a load of 15-20ish games.

At minimum I hoped we'd see him in ten starts this year, but since Chia has prioritized the evaluation of a pending UFA with zero future prospects over an actual prospect, it seems that's not in the works.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think he needs some actual NHL experience before we anoint him the backup for next season, or do we think throwing a kid with zero experience into the role is a good idea?

It's not like LB is straight out of major junior; he's been a pro now for three years. It's time to ensure he can handle a load of 15-20ish games.

At minimum I hoped we'd see him in ten starts this year, but since Chia has prioritized the evaluation of a pending UFA with zero future prospects over an actual prospect, it seems that's not in the works.
Because you love facts and logic, here is a couple.

1. Nilsson is an RFA not a UFA who currently does not require waivers.

2. Trade deadline is coming up so a logical assumption is that they are bringing up Nilsson for a few games, have him start one or two and if he recovered his confidence, great! Move him for a pick! If not have him rot on the bench or send him down and call up Brossoit.

3. You are complaining that sending down Brossoit is intentionally not icing the best roster. In that scenario then in what world are we giving a rookie 10 games in the final 25, wouldn't you play your starter for most of it down the stretch? That's what teams do.

4. Referring to #3 Brossoit playing in the ahl playoffs is a great way to prepare him for backup duty next year. It's how most good teams actually evaluate goaltenders. They get a few little games here and there and then they get full time backup duty.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's better for Brossoit to play a bunch of games down in the AHL than sit on the bench and watch Talbot.

This is what makes the most sense for me after giving it some thought.

I don't think they wanted to call up Broissolt as early in the year as they did. Nillson was so bad I figured they had just given up on him. We'll see how he plays when he gets another shot. Needs to be a lot better if for no other reason than to give Talbot a bit of a break. I still hope they get Broissolt back up here and give him a few games in the last couple weeks of the season as a reward for his good year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is what makes the most sense for me after giving it some thought.

I don't think they wanted to call up Broissolt as early in the year as they did. Nillson was so bad I figured they had just given up on him. We'll see how he plays when he gets another shot. Needs to be a lot better if for no other reason than to give Talbot a bit of a break. I still hope they get Broissolt back up here and give him a few games in the last couple weeks of the season as a reward for his good year.
I think they will. They have to evaluate Nilsson. They know Brossoit will be good.

They probably need to see Nilsson once or twice to figure out if his awful stretch or his good play is the norm for him.

Once they have decided they try and trade him before the deadline or let him walk as an rfa

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think they will. They have to evaluate Nilsson. They know Brossoit will be good.

They probably need to see Nilsson once or twice to figure out if his awful stretch or his good play is the norm for him.

Once they have decided they try and trade him before the deadline or let him walk as an rfa

They probably don't want to give Brossoit the backup job going into next year either. They could very well just be seeing if he can bounce back and be the backup until Brossoit is ready later in the year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

They probably don't want to give Brossoit the backup job going into next year either. They could very well just be seeing if he can bounce back and be the backup until Brossoit is ready later in the year.
Or do what a lot of teams do and have competition. Brossoit has to go on waivers next year doesn't he?

1990*

Because you love facts and logic, here is a couple.

1. Nilsson is an RFA not a UFA who currently does not require waivers.

If he's qualified. But why would Chiarelli bother? It's like those who debate Schultz's contract status; at the end of the day, he's going to be gone. He won't be qualified.

2. Trade deadline is coming up so a logical assumption is that they are bringing up Nilsson for a few games, have him start one or two and if he recovered his confidence, great! Move him for a pick! If not have him rot on the bench or send him down and call up Brossoit.

We just witnessed the team in most need of a goaltender acquire Ben Scrivens over Nilsson. Other teams prior to his recent run of poor play (or regression to the mean if you please) also had need- yet, unsurprisingly, he's still an Oiler. At this point the return would be minimal if there is even a demand to be met at all, and a 5th-7th round pick is simply not worth letting Brossoit go into next camp without a fair sample of NHL starts.

3. You are complaining that sending down Brossoit is intentionally not icing the best roster. In that scenario then in what world are we giving a rookie 10 games in the final 25, wouldn't you play your starter for most of it down the stretch? That's what teams do.

Wait, first you insist Nilsson is staying up to be showcased, but then slap back at me for suggesting a goalie other than Talbot get reps? Which is it, then? You can't have it both ways.

4. Referring to #3 Brossoit playing in the ahl playoffs is a great way to prepare him for backup duty next year. It's how most good teams actually evaluate goaltenders. They get a few little games here and there and then they get full time backup duty.

Quick, someone tell the Detroit Red Wings they don't know how to evaluate goaltenders. They somehow found a way to do both in 2013-14 with Mrazek- 9 NHL games, 32 AHL games, and 10 AHL playoff games. But hey, I guess they ruined him, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad