Recalled/Assigned: Brossoit up and Nilsson down (update: Brossoit down and Nilsson up)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Chia's just deserts that his bold plan didn't work out. Hope this is the last we see of Nillson.

They took a shot on Nillson and it didn't work out unfortunately. He played well earlier in the year and now he's fallen off a cliff. If there was an error made it was getting rid of Scrivens too soon. It cost us some depth. NOBODY faulted him for that though so I don't see why you'd start assigning blame. At least he acquired and resigned Talbot.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Please don't turn this into yet another Scrivens thread. We've had plenty of those, and he's not even in the organization. This is about Brossoit and Nilsson

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Looked really good tonight. Excellent positionally, no wasted movement, and he's got great reflexes when he needs them. Tough break in the shootout, the Wheeler goal is so tough to read and the Ladd goal was a great shot, but he could have looked better on both.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Looked really good tonight. Excellent positionally, no wasted movement, and he's got great reflexes when he needs them. Tough break in the shootout, the Wheeler goal is so tough to read and the Ladd goal was a great shot, but he could have looked better on both.

He was just completely beaten by Ladd. What a crazy shot. Glove was just not there.
Wheeler's... you can't predict how that played out.

The only time he was beat in 65 minutes was an amazing play.

Basically he was beaten in ways that I had no frustration about.

Kid looks like a gem.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Great game but he could have had both of those shootout attempts. I care way more about his play in the game but he did get lit up bad in the shootout.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Great game but he could have had both of those shootout attempts. I care way more about his play in the game but he did get lit up bad in the shootout.

He could have definitely put up a better effort on the Ladd attempt, he wasn't even in the ballgame on that shot, but that's a terrific shot just inside the post and above the pad, it's the same shot Nuge scores on all the time. The Wheeler goal i have some sympathy for him on, what a bizarre sequence. But yeah could have been better. First shootout though and at that point i'm sure he had nerves, goalies are kinda like an iced kicker on those and experience is only going to help.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He could have definitely put up a better effort on the Ladd attempt, he wasn't even in the ballgame on that shot, but that's a terrific shot just inside the post and above the pad, it's the same shot Nuge scores on all the time. The Wheeler goal i have some sympathy for him on, what a bizarre sequence. But yeah could have been better. First shootout though and at that point i'm sure he had nerves, goalies are kinda like an iced kicker on those and experience is only going to help.

Really could have been better on both.

Felt bad for LB. He played well in regulation and ot. That was such a gong show on the Wheeler goal, but it looked like he lost concentration.

Agreed it is a teachable moment for him.

From the sounds of things Nilsson stole the game tonight for the Condors. Maybe a couple more games for him in Bakersfield to get his confidence back then LB back down?

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Really could have been better on both.

Felt bad for LB. He played well in regulation and ot. That was such a gong show on the Wheeler goal, but it looked like he lost concentration.

Agreed it is a teachable moment for him.

From the sounds of things Nilsson stole the game tonight for the Condors. Maybe a couple more games for him in Bakersfield to get his confidence back then LB back down?

I think this should be likely the game plan. if Nilsson has already proven in pre season and the beginning of the season that he was lights out, while Talbot was struggling big time, shouldn't see why he wouldn't be brought up again, as he gets his confidence back.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

meh, shootout is an overrated thing anyway. The best goalies tend to be average or even bad in the shootout. It's kind of like shooters. A guy like Hendricks will be awesome in the shootout but he's not much of an offensive player. If LB gets criticism for his shootout, so should McDavid for getting poke checked.

It's just a dice roll. Brossoit was the best player in that game for either team.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
meh, shootout is an overrated thing anyway. The best goalies tend to be average or even bad in the shootout. It's kind of like shooters. A guy like Hendricks will be awesome in the shootout but he's not much of an offensive player. If LB gets criticism for his shootout, so should McDavid for getting poke checked.

It's just a dice roll. Brossoit was the best player in that game for either team.

I thought Pavelic played just as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I thought Pavelic played just as well.

That's fair, considering he did get the win in the SO, but during the game Brossoit had quite a few more shots against so he's got a bit of an edge there. It depends how you weight the SO

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This MacT was a rare win and could turn out to be a significant win. That trade was risky at the time. A established NHL D for goalie prospect who hadnt yet performed well in the AHL. That could have went south fast. However Smid was on the downturn and his contract was taken off the books right as he started to suck. Brossoit came to the Oilers and performed nothing short of wonderful in the AHL. When you watch him, he has a pro style of technique. Goalie prospects are voodoo and this one seems to be on right track

I say give him the next game too. He was amazing last night

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
On that Wheeler shootout goal he had a pretty good chance to poke check the puck away when it was bobbled, but he missed the chance.

I chalk it up to being a rookie learning opportunity. I'll bet the next time he has a chance to poke it away he'll take it.

He was great otherwise though. Strong positioning, and didn't make himself work too hard to make saves. Just squares up, gets big and let's the puck hit him. He stayed pretty cool even during some frantic situations.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is a puzzling move for me.

I expected Brossiot to go back down towards the end of the year to play in the post season but not now. Why bring him up in the first place?
It was to give Nilsson a chance to get some confidence and to give Brossoit some NHL training time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is a puzzling move for me.

I expected Brossiot to go back down towards the end of the year to play in the post season but not now. Why bring him up in the first place?

Give him a NHL pay cheque. Give him time to work with goalie coach and NHL shooters and probably get Nilsson back on track.

Not very surprising at all for me. TDD coming up they could potentially be looking at moving Nilsson but need his head in the game.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Makes sense to me.

Nilsson's game had hit the ditch and the Oilers couldn't trust him anymore, so they brought up Brossoit to give Nilsson a couple games to collect himself and let the Oilers see how Brossoit's game has progressed.

With the decision that Talbot would be playing the lion's share of the games for the near future, may as well put Brossoit back down so he can get more play time and with 2 good games from Nilsson down there they may as well bring him back up so as he's not taking time away from Brossoit and Laurikainen.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Makes sense to me.

Nilsson's game had hit the ditch and the Oilers couldn't trust him anymore, so they brought up Brossoit to give Nilsson a couple games to collect himself and let the Oilers see how Brossoit's game has progressed.

With the decision that Talbot would be playing the lion's share of the games for the near future, may as well put Brossoit back down so he can get more play time and with 2 good games from Nilsson down there they may as well bring him back up so as he's not taking time away from Brossoit and Laurikainen.
Bingo bango

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Brossoit to Bako, Nilsson back up:

So what was the point of sending Nilsson down, if he's already back up?

Makes sense to me.

But wouldn't they have already known that Talbot was going to get the lion's share of starts? I doubt since the demotion they just decided "Hey, I think we'll give Talbot lots of starts." Why even send Nilsson down in the first place? It's still a puzzling move to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad