Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Sooo basically nobody knows what the hell is going on? Some idiot on twitter said Belmont isn’t happening, than another idiot said it was. Why can’t this arena saga just end!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Sooo basically nobody knows what the hell is going on? Some idiot on twitter said Belmont isn’t happening, than another idiot said it was. Why can’t this arena saga just end!

As far as anyone knows officially, it's happening until they say otherwise.

Reactions: Barzilla and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Because they all want to see people twist in the wind. That’s the Schadenfreud in the people running the state.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Because they all want to see people twist in the wind. That’s the Schadenfreud in the people running the state.

Am I missing something? Or is this just some people going back and forth on Twitter? I haven't seen anything recent.

Edit - oh, you're talking about delays without news - yeah, that's building in NY for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

And with Lou running this team he even reeled in Ledecky so until you see a shovel in the ground, no one knows anything.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This is the first piece of news I've heard that feels "less promising."

It’s going to take an extra “year”as I’ve been saying for a long time. There’s always a lag in the final processes before ground breaking so it’s usually safe to add 4-6 months. They may play part of the 21-22 season there as we saw I believe Ottawa Toronto and Montreal all do when their arenas opened but I would be surprised if they started there in October

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The government moves at its own pace.

Somewhere along the way I expect Governor Cuomo to lean on this project to help get it moving.

Especially after losing Amazon... he is absolutely going go want this done as quickly as possible.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
People need to stop clutching pearls. It was always due Q2. Comment period was extended three weeks to cut off any complaints that this was rushed, so by the end of Q2 is in line with that. Losing a second major development project in short order -- especially one that requires no state funding -- would absolutely kill this region in terms of future projects, so everyone is going to be fully invested in getting this done.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Really hope that we can break ground before July 1st. Other teams will use the arena situation against us when UFA hits if construction hasn't started.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Really hope that we can break ground before July 1st. Other teams will use the arena situation against us when UFA hits if construction hasn't started.

I came here to make this point. Being able to break ground and show UFA recruits exactly what is planned can only help.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
ISLANDERS SIGN OVG AT BRIDGEPORT ARENA

NHL team wants to book more concerts at American Hockey League facility

• by Don Muret
  • Published: February 21, 2019

The deal between the Islanders and OVG Facilities, parent firm of VenuesNow and Pollstar, is an extension of their partnership to build a new NHL arena at Belmont Park. Development firms headed by Islanders owner Scott Malkin and the Wilpon family, owner of the New York Mets, are also partners in the $1 billion project.

In Bridgeport, other connections led to the OVG deal. Travis Williams, whom the Islanders hired in October as president of business operations, held a similar role with the Pittsburgh Penguins at PPG Paints Arena when he hired AEG Facilities to take over operations of that facility in 2012. At the time, Tim Leiweke, OVG’s co-founder and CEO, was the head of AEG.

Williams served as the Penguins’ point man for arena development in Pittsburgh, which led to relationships with OVG executives Peter Luukko and Hank Abate, from their days working for Comcast Spectacor and SMG, respectively. SMG ran what was then called Consol Energy Center when it opened in 2010, and Luukko competed for facility management in Pittsburgh when the account was up for bid two years later.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
This really isn’t a big deal. The comment period was extended. So there’s more comments to address.

It’s also my suspicion the traffic portion of the study is being expanded since NYAP now has to pony up more money for the study.

This is all getting everything buttoned up nicely to avoid lawsuits saying the developers were derelict in following the SEQRA requirements.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
https://libn.com/2019/02/21/belmont...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

'By: David Winzelberg February 21, 2019

Empire State Development will also ask the arena developers to contribute an additional $1.2 million to pay for an extended environmental review of the project. The ESD board voted Thursday to extend the contract of the environmental review firm AKRF for one year.

New York Arena Partners, the developers that pitched the $1.18 billion project, had hoped to break ground by May to ensure that the New York Islanders could begin playing at the arena by the beginning of the 2021 hockey season. However, any start of construction will now have to wait until the environmental review is completed and approved by ESD.

The development group is comprised of the Oak View Group, Sterling Equities and Scott Malkin Group. Malkin is also a partner in the majority ownership of the Islanders...'

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Of ****ing course this is getting delayed. Who would’ve expected any less?

I knew something was gonna get in the way.
Nothing has gotten in the way. ESD stated all along the project is scheduled to break ground in the 2nd Quarter of 2019. They can break ground in late June and that would fall within the 2nd Quarter.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Nothing has gotten in the way. ESD stated all along the project is scheduled to break ground in the 2nd Quarter of 2019. They can break ground in late June and that would fall within the 2nd Quarter.
I'm just tired of being dicked around. This was supposed to be on schedule. May 2019. Just want a shovel in the ground already.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm just tired of being dicked around. This was supposed to be on schedule. May 2019. Just want a shovel in the ground already.
It was never going to be May, no matter what Ledecky said. The Belmont Stakes is June 8th. It's Belmont's biggest day of the year and nothing was going to be allowed to get in the way of that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Meanwhile in other arena news kind of related to the Isles and Belmont, Oak View Group is going to operate Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad