Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Hope that law firm isn't charging too much for their services.

Don't pay attention to any "alternatives" they are proposing. The only "alternative" they are interested in is nothing happening with that land.
Tammie Williams wants "transit-based housing." f*** her.

Reactions: nyisles

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
What does she mean by that? Like a new development of houses accompanied by an LIRR upgrade?
Probably looking for something similar to what they did at Patchogue and farmingde. All those condos along the railroad with shops and stuff on the ground floor.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Probably looking for something similar to what they did at Patchogue and farmingde. All those condos along the railroad with shops and stuff on the ground floor.

Well she seems to have given that up because I can't find it anymore. She had great plans for Elmont on her website. From what I remember she didn't have plans for shopping, just the housing.

Transit-based housing is basically suburban affordable housing developments clustered around commuter rail that usually do have retail the community needs. The idea is that these apartments are to be rented (some are condos to be sold) to young professionals without kids, who will use the money they're saving by not paying market-rate rent to eventually move and raise kids in single-family suburbs. I can go all night on why I disagree with having this in Elmont (or anywhere else on LI.)

oh btw that Target store I mentioned in my last post, I never saw more than two people working there at once. great employment opportunity it is.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
If brains were dynamite these community activist clowns wouldn't have enough to blow their noses.

I have no doubt Tammie Williams wants to run for elected office in the future. so even if she loses this battle, she still wins by getting her name out there.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I have no doubt Tammie Williams wants to run for elected office in the future. so even if she loses this battle, she still wins by getting her name out there.
Trying to wreck the signature project of the Democratic governor in a de facto one party state seems like a bad way to work your way up the ranks of state politics. You are right that this is probably her goal but I don't know how effective it will be.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Trying to wreck the signature project of the Democratic governor in a de facto one party state seems like a bad way to work your way up the ranks of state politics. You are right that this is probably her goal but I don't know how effective it will be.

Long Island has a nontrivial Republican base.

However every Republican I know around here is in favor of the stadium. In fact, every person I know that’s aware of the stadium is in favor of it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
there are a lot of residents near the racetrack who don't have cars and rely on the expensive delis (employees who live at Belmont Park don't really have a choice.)
Those people make up a very small percentage of the residents of Elmont. Most live concentrated in the area around Elmont Road.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Tammie Williams wants "transit-based housing." **** her.
Too bad for her the RFP specifically says no housing can be built at Belmont Park.

I had a twisted conversation on Twitter once with Matthew Sexton. He indicated to me that in a perfect world his group would love to see the race track closed altogether.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Well she seems to have given that up because I can't find it anymore. She had great plans for Elmont on her website. From what I remember she didn't have plans for shopping, just the housing.

Transit-based housing is basically suburban affordable housing developments clustered around commuter rail that usually do have retail the community needs. The idea is that these apartments are to be rented (some are condos to be sold) to young professionals without kids, who will use the money they're saving by not paying market-rate rent to eventually move and raise kids in single-family suburbs. I can go all night on why I disagree with having this in Elmont (or anywhere else on LI.)

oh btw that Target store I mentioned in my last post, I never saw more than two people working there at once. great employment opportunity it is.

That target is such garbage. My wife and I have gone there a couple times and I think there is one person to help with the self checkup and another one working the floor.

BTW on a side note just east of that is a bar/restaurant called Trotters. Excellent food and would make a fantastic before game meal or catch up spot before and after games.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016

I get a sense of impatience with Cuomo among downstate Democrats. The LIRR has become a daily disaster. He's not DiBlasios best friend either. Still, Williams could be trying to work her way up through the Town or County level.

Long Island has a nontrivial Republican base.

However every Republican I know around here is in favor of the stadium. In fact, every person I know that’s aware of the stadium is in favor of it.

I know a few Repubs against the arena or any development because they're concerned about their property values, though they're not doing anything about it because they see Belmont Park as a private entity.

Those people make up a very small percentage of the residents of Elmont. Most live concentrated in the area around Elmont Road.

I used to live near the racetrack west of Elmont Road. I know there are a lot of families without cars that could really benefit from a real supermarket.

Too bad for her the RFP specifically says no housing can be built at Belmont Park.

I had a twisted conversation on Twitter once with Matthew Sexton. He indicated to me that in a perfect world his group would love to see the race track closed altogether.

Awesome. Put thousands of racetrack employees out of work. Also evict them from their on-campus housing. Close the local businesses that depend on the racetrack industry and their employees. Put more houses in an already overpopulated community.

That target is such garbage. My wife and I have gone there a couple times and I think there is one person to help with the self checkup and another one working the floor.

BTW on a side note just east of that is a bar/restaurant called Trotters. Excellent food and would make a fantastic before game meal or catch up spot before and after games.

I don't think I saw the same employees working there twice.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Let's petition them to put a Velcro "I" up there after the T's for Islanders gamedays.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

do you think the governor is popular in NYC and near nassau? lulz

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Awesome. Put thousands of racetrack employees out of work. Also evict them from their on-campus housing. Close the local businesses that depend on the racetrack industry and their employees. Put more houses in an already overpopulated community.

I'm sorry, but did you just suggest that the problem with NY Metro is that there is too much housing?

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
I'm sorry, but did you just suggest that the problem with NY Metro is that there is too much housing?

not the entire region, just where Belmont Park is. Elmont is already overpopulated for a suburban community. the bus line and the schools are already bursting at the seams while homeowners are complaining their taxes are way too high. adding more housing at Belmont Park would eventually only exacerbate all three problems.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
not the entire region, just where Belmont Park is. Elmont is already overpopulated for a suburban community. the bus line and the schools are already bursting at the seams while homeowners are complaining their taxes are way too high. adding more housing at Belmont Park would eventually only exacerbate all three problems.

So, let's not fix the region's single largest problem because it creates a bunch of other solvable problems. Instead let's have bursting schools in areas with 4-5 families living in each house.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
So, let's not fix the region's single largest problem because it creates a bunch of other solvable problems. Instead let's have bursting schools in areas with 4-5 families living in each house.
Elmont already has 2-3 families in many of these one-family households, that's the problem. and any future developments in Elmont are eventually going to follow the same pattern.

Also the entire metro area doesn't find Elmont's school district, only Elmont does. Nor did the metro area fix any of Elmont's problems, past or present. So why should Elmont (a community relatively low on the income scale in the metro area) have the burden of fixing the metro area's problems?

Anyway, the day Belmont Park gets demolished in favor of housing, Elmont is going to have much bigger problems.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't one of the conditions for Belmont that it forbids housing being a part of it?

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't one of the conditions for Belmont that it forbids housing being a part of it?

yes, I was replying to Matt sextons special idea of Belmont Park not being there.

my main concern is what will become of the hotel when it eventually goes out of business?

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad