Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah, that project would've kept the Islanders right where they were and brought development to the area. That the Town killed it is still a very sore sport a decade on.

The Coliseum is going to be in trouble once Belmont is built. Actually without the Isles there now it'd be really bad as-is - which is why Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment (the company that owns and operates Barclays and operates the Coliseum) wants the Islanders to play as many games there as possible.
They’re fine. They have D league nets. Pretty sweet.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
They’re fine. They have D league nets. Pretty sweet.

They really need to add some more Islanders logos/colors to the Coliseum. There's a a big Nets logo on the way up the stairs to my seats, but not an Islanders one.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

Yormark still wanting the Islanders the heck out of Barclays:

"BSE Global chief executive officer Brett Yormark reiterated to Newsday last week, as he has said for the last year, that he’s in favor of moving “as many games as possible” to the Coliseum.
But Yormark also acknowledges that the ultimate decision is up to the Islanders and the National Hockey League. And neither the team nor the league are in a rush to do that.

The NHL recently signed off on a plan that has the Islanders playing the first round of the playoffs at the Coliseum and all subsequent games in Brooklyn. That decision, according to the team’s news release, reflects “that the Nassau Coliseum does not qualify as an NHL major league facility.”
Ledecky added Sunday, “I think when the NHL made the comment a few weeks ago, they were referring to not just pure attendance numbers, but the lack of amenities, the lack of suites, the lack of club seats, the fact that bathroom lines are still historically long.”

Ledecky said the Belmont arena development team has taken note of what fans have enjoyed about the Coliseum - namely the environment - and he said they will work to replicate that and “pay homage” to their history they created at the Coliseum.

“There are limitations that will never enable it to be a 21st century arena, which is what our fans deserve,” Ledecky said.

He said they will give them that at Belmont"

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Ledecky is still alive. Lou has kept him under wraps pretty well so far.

I'll say this...If Belmont doesn't happen I never want Ledecky to open his mouth again - Not even to eat.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
A friend of mine is saying Boomer was talking about a big issue concerning the arena this morning. It took me by surprise given Ledecky's recent comments. Anyone hear about this?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A friend of mine is saying Boomer was talking about a big issue concerning the arena this morning. It took me by surprise given Ledecky's recent comments. Anyone hear about this?
What's the big issue?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
What's the big issue?

That is what i am trying to understand. He walked up to me and with confidence said sorry to hear you probably won't be getting your arena! I was totally confused... and he said Boomer was talking about it this morning and there is a board not willing to approve the deal because they feel the land is being given away too cheap. If everyone else is confused by this, I will take it as a good sign!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
there is a board not willing to approve the deal because they feel the land is being given away too cheap. If everyone else is confused by this, I will take it as a good sign!
Count me in as confused, so I guess that's a good sign. :huh:

Reactions: stranger34

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That is what i am trying to understand. He walked up to me and with confidence said sorry to hear you probably won't be getting your arena! I was totally confused... and he said Boomer was talking about it this morning and there is a board not willing to approve the deal because they feel the land is being given away too cheap. If everyone else is confused by this, I will take it as a good sign!
I don't listen to WFAN at any time. Did a quick Google search just now and couldn't find anything new on the subject.

For me, there isn't a problem until there's a problem. I'm not going to lose my mind every time somebody say something is going wrong with Belmont. Maybe Boomer has a friend who sells Dippin Dots to Ledecky at the Coliseum.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
My friend from Floral Park seems to think a required major gas line for the project is a huge deal and is up in arms about it. He's anti-Belmont and a bit crazy on this so I don't take him seriously, but it's possible that's what Boomer was talking about.

Last edited:

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
My friend from Floral Park seems to think a required major gas line for the project is a huge deal and is up in arms about it. He's anti-Belmont and a bit crazy on this so I don't take him seriously, but it's possible that's what Boomer was talking about.

I'm not far from Floral Park, and I did hear something about a gas line needed. However, I did not hear that it could be a major issue.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Regarding the gas line, I've seen the article about National Grid warning that a pipeline from NJ to NY is necessary for the arena, and I've seen scattered comments from people online to the effect of "I have a friend that works in utilities, and he says they're having issues with a pipeline and without it the arena is not possible." But I haven't seen any official news or reports about it at all, and no one else has mentioned it as a stumbling block.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Boomer was talking out of his ass this morning that they should stay at Nassau, suites and clubs be damned. Saying isles won’t get corporate support in Belmont.

He’s blinded by his relationship with BSE.

I just really don't understand. The owners are supposed to run the team like it's a charity?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Boomer was talking out of his ass this morning that they should stay at Nassau, suites and clubs be damned. Saying isles won’t get corporate support in Belmont.

He’s blinded by his relationship with BSE.
That makes more sense.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
I just really don't understand. The owners are supposed to run the team like it's a charity?
In his mind, yes. He’s still stuck in the 80s mindset of suites and clubs and stuff not being important, despite more money coming from those than from everyday seats.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In his mind, yes. He’s still stuck in the 80s mindset of suites and clubs and stuff not being important, despite more money coming from those than from everyday seats.
Also anyone who wants the Islanders to remain at the Coliseum forever is conceding that they won't be able to build up the fanbase enough to draw more than 14,000 a game. No owner would ever cap growth potential like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad