Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The only new arena that will ever be built in Ronkonkoma will be made out of Lego’s.

So that when the team ends up leaving you can take the Legos and turn it into an Applebee's.

I think everyone should do this:

A few positive words about the project and what it means to LI, without reference to the opposition, and without focusing exclusive on the Islanders. Press on beneficial development for the region.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So that when the team ends up leaving you can take the Legos and turn it into an Applebee's.

A few positive words about the project and what it means to LI, without reference to the opposition, and without focusing exclusive on the Islanders. Press on beneficial development for the region.

Or an Outback.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Or an Outback.

maxresdefault.jpg

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Direct lirr in and out. Already completed..and enhanced as I think the double track work is done...

Teams fly right into ISP.

Whole renovation of that area is currently underway already...condos...new downtown area...right off LIE. Easy access up from Sunrise too.

Steve55..make it happen!

I'll only make the trek from the City if Ron-con-COMB-uh is annexed into NYC

Last edited:
Reactions: Lame Lambert

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

sent mine, didn't even mention the isles.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
Ah yes - that was just an opinion piece from Randi Marshall. She writes from time to time about the project for Newsday, and she wrote that as a cautionary piece. She wrote and Tweeted in support of Amazon and Amazon's retreat prompted her to write that in the context of Belmont.

She Tweeted this the same day as the LIBN article:

Unrelated, but looks like Papa Bettman wrote back to Curran about the playoffs at NVMC:

The "we have approved this decision" bit sounds as though the Islanders had to make their case to the league to allow this.

This is exactly what I was talking about last week when the decision came down. NVMC cannot be deemed viable without construction started on Belmont. People gnashing their teeth about the playoff split need to recognize the political landscape in NY right now.

Reactions: periferal

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Direct lirr in and out. Already completed..and enhanced as I think the double track work is done...

Teams fly right into ISP.

Whole renovation of that area is currently underway already...condos...new downtown area...right off LIE. Easy access up from Sunrise too.

Steve55..make it happen!

I can't see Ronkonkoma in Isles radar in any shape or form.

I'll only make the trek from the City if Ron-con-COMB-uh is annexed into NYC

:huh:

I wouldn't go that far.

Is The New $1 Billion NY Islanders Development About To Get Amazon'd?

BY NEIL DEMAUSE IN NEWS ON FEB 26, 2019 2:14 PM

Leroy Comrie, handing the longtime city pol the perfect platform to raise his objections to the Islanders project, much as Gianaris did with Amazon before him.

Comrie says he doesn't think his requests should be a major stumbling block: “I’m very confident that these are resolvable." Still, he adds, he doesn't anticipate anything being finalized for months after the final EIS is released — and possibly not until "the first quarter of next year."

But meeting Comrie's demands for new public transit, in particular, could be more complicated than it sounds. While the MTA has said it intends to "develop a plan" for full-time service to Belmont Park, the actual geometry of the site's tracks makes that nearly impossible—or at least prohibitively expensive. MTA board member Mitch Lally tells Gothamist that the LIRR had determined that one rehab option would cost $300 million for new tracks, signals, and platforms—a staggering figure for either the MTA or the Islanders owners to cover...

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I can't see Ronkonkoma in Isles radar in any shape or form.

:huh:

I wouldn't go that far.

Is The New $1 Billion NY Islanders Development About To Get Amazon'd?

BY NEIL DEMAUSE IN NEWS ON FEB 26, 2019 2:14 PM

Leroy Comrie, handing the longtime city pol the perfect platform to raise his objections to the Islanders project, much as Gianaris did with Amazon before him.

Comrie says he doesn't think his requests should be a major stumbling block: “I’m very confident that these are resolvable." Still, he adds, he doesn't anticipate anything being finalized for months after the final EIS is released — and possibly not until "the first quarter of next year."

But meeting Comrie's demands for new public transit, in particular, could be more complicated than it sounds. While the MTA has said it intends to "develop a plan" for full-time service to Belmont Park, the actual geometry of the site's tracks makes that nearly impossible—or at least prohibitively expensive. MTA board member Mitch Lally tells Gothamist that the LIRR had determined that one rehab option would cost $300 million for new tracks, signals, and platforms—a staggering figure for either the MTA or the Islanders owners to cover...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Randi Marhsall definitely has an "ax to grind" in support of Belmont these days. Wonder if L&M gave her a nice Christmas gift...

Reactions: NewYorkIsles

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Randi Marhsall definitely has an "ax to grind" in support of Belmont these days. Wonder if L&M gave her a nice Christmas gift...

She's been pretty supportive since the initial Belmont selection announcement. I remember when someone suggested that the arena "may be in jeopardy" when the opposition first started complaining, and she called them "irresponsible" for suggesting that the project would be in jeopardy so early on.

It's nice to have her push back against the hot takes that we'll be seeing from various joke outlets as minor news surfaces.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Evening all. I'm a Leafs fan, but have been keeping a little up to date on the Belmont Arena situation, and I'm sitting at home watching the game tonight, and noticing that NVMC is jumping. If Belmont were to fall through, would there be any chance of the Isles Owners being able to buy the Old Barn (along with the surrounding development rights) from BSE, or has that ship sailed ?

It's pretty evident that Uniondale is where the fanbase is.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Evening all. I'm a Leafs fan, but have been keeping a little up to date on the Belmont Arena situation, and I'm sitting at home watching the game tonight, and noticing that NVMC is jumping. If Belmont were to fall through, would there be any chance of the Isles Owners being able to buy the Old Barn (along with the surrounding development rights) from BSE, or has that ship sailed ?

Belmont and NVMC are 8 miles apart. The fanbase is everywhere throughout this area.

That said, it's looking like Belmont or bust at this point.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

Would be tough. The issue is the Islanders would have to deal with Town of Hempstead on zoning requirements. That's what killed the Lighthouse project years ago. The County would probably love to have a single developer responsible for doing some major work to the building and developing the area, but the Town is the real stumbling block.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Belmont and NVMC are 8 miles apart. The fanbase is everywhere throughout this area.

That said, it's looking like Belmont or bust at this point.

Would be tough. The issue is the Islanders would have to deal with Town of Hempstead on zoning requirements. That's what killed the Lighthouse project years ago. The County would probably love to have a single developer responsible for doing some major work to the building and developing the area, but the Town is the real stumbling block.
Thanks for the info. Sucks to hear, as it looked and sounded a lot better than any game I've seen at Barclays. The Lighthouse Project would've been great, IIRC it was supposed to be a $3+ Billion project, and would've included housing, offices, a hotel, and athletic complex.

Admittedly, I wonder if it's wise to have yet another arena in the NY/NJ area ?

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Thanks for the info. Sucks to hear, as it looked and sounded a lot better than any game I've seen at Barclays. The Lighthouse Project would've been great, IIRC it was supposed to be a $3+ Billion project, and would've included housing, offices, a hotel, and athletic complex.

Admittedly, I wonder if it's wise to have yet another arena in the NY/NJ area ?

Yeah, that project would've kept the Islanders right where they were and brought development to the area. That the Town killed it is still a very sore sport a decade on.

The Coliseum is going to be in trouble once Belmont is built. Actually without the Isles there now it'd be really bad as-is - which is why Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment (the company that owns and operates Barclays and operates the Coliseum) wants the Islanders to play as many games there as possible.

Reactions: wanderer34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad