Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Continue here.

Previous Thread: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19

Last Post:
Yeah, but we're not dealing with a private company like Amazon, and we're not dealing with a county property subject to the jurisdiction of Twp of Hempstead. Since it's state land, so long as they meet all of the administrative requirements, allow for comments, hold meetings, etc., I'm not sure anyone can stop it. Avoid some procedural violation and they should be good.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Especially since the Governor has thrown his lot in with this, and given the recent loss of Amazon, the uproar would need to be absolutely massive to stop it.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
For someone no longer living in that area it is hard to have a real sense of things, but I have to tell you that the Newsday article today did not give me the warm and fuzzies. Is it really possible that Belmont won't happen?!

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
For someone no longer living in that area it is hard to have a real sense of things, but I have to tell you that the Newsday article today did not give me the warm and fuzzies. Is it really possible that Belmont won't happen?!

Are you talking about the LIBN article? That was a recent article citing to no facts and citing to the spoken word of an opposition figure for the proposition that work would not commence timely.

This article provides more factual support:

Islanders Arena at Belmont Still On Track

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Feb 21. Being down here in FL, even with the web, I sometimes miss some stuff. Basically, if it isn't linked on LHH, I don't know about it. Anyway, the article you linked was far more encouraging. Thx.
You scared me, I thought there was a new article I hadn’t seen yet :laugh:

Reactions: Capt Obvious

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

Feb 21. Being down here in FL, even with the web, I sometimes miss some stuff. Basically, if it isn't linked on LHH, I don't know about it. Anyway, the article you linked was far more encouraging. Thx.

Ah yes - that was just an opinion piece from Randi Marshall. She writes from time to time about the project for Newsday, and she wrote that as a cautionary piece. She wrote and Tweeted in support of Amazon and Amazon's retreat prompted her to write that in the context of Belmont.

She Tweeted this the same day as the LIBN article:

Unrelated, but looks like Papa Bettman wrote back to Curran about the playoffs at NVMC:

The "we have approved this decision" bit sounds as though the Islanders had to make their case to the league to allow this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt Obvious

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
belmont park arena project delayed.....a couple of groups are opposed....had over 2,000 petitions to stop the project...

Belmont Park arena project to be delayed
tenor.gif

Horse Racing Blog | Horse Racing | HorseRaceInsider.com

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
if they do not get shovels in the ground by the fall I am going to say it is not going to happen

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
And, then what happens?
beats me, probably have people talking about Willets point again but that is not going to happen, someone in the other page said the best solution would have been to hang around Barclays and hope they do a major re-furbishing of the arena and I pretty much always agreed with that but I am guessing that bridge is burned as there is no going back to Brooklyn full time, in that letter above it almost sounds like Bettman is making a threat that it is Belmont or bust so if this Belmont thing does not happen I am guessing they will hang around Nassau or Barclays for a few years until Ledecky sells the team and they are done in NY

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
beats me, probably have people talking about Willets point again but that is not going to happen, someone in the other page said the best solution would have been to hang around Barclays and hope they do a major re-furbishing of the arena and I pretty much always agreed with that but I am guessing that bridge is burned as there is no going back to Brooklyn full time, in that letter above it almost sounds like Bettman is making a threat that it is Belmont or bust so if this Belmont thing does not happen I am guessing they will hang around Nassau or Barclays for a few years until Ledecky sells the team and they are done in NY

Good luck with Willets Point. Most of those leaders spoke out against Amazon ( different district) and despite it not being her district, I’m sure AOC will lead rallies.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
belmont park arena project delayed.....a couple of groups are opposed....had over 2,000 petitions to stop the project...

Belmont Park arena project to be delayed

Hottest take on a terrible article that we discussed here days ago. No actual facts or evidence in the article, except that 2,000 comments were submitted. Oh, never mind that the source of the claims that there won't be shovels in the ground or that 2,000 comments are in opposition comes from a local opposition Twitter person.

This is the better article. Islanders Arena at Belmont Still On Track

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Direct lirr in and out. Already completed..and enhanced as I think the double track work is done...

Teams fly right into ISP.

Whole renovation of that area is currently underway already...condos...new downtown area...right off LIE. Easy access up from Sunrise too.

Steve55..make it happen!
Sorry,don't want a mod warning for "derailing" the thread...

Reactions: nycole

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Direct lirr in and out. Already completed..and enhanced as I think the double track work is done...

Teams fly right into ISP.

Whole renovation of that area is currently underway already...condos...new downtown area...right off LIE. Easy access up from Sunrise too.

Steve55..make it happen!
The only new arena that will ever be built in Ronkonkoma will be made out of Lego’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad