Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Agreed - Barclays can be loud. Its just not as loud as NVMC. Most places aren't.

On the never gonna happen chance that the Islanders find themselves in the SCF Islander ownership would be nuts not to push really hard for the Coli. Buildings can win you championships believe this from someone who watched the 1986 Red Sox implode in front of the most hostile Shea Stadium crowd you can ever imagine. The entire stadium was physically moving I kid you not.

They have a full basement in the coli that you can pull tractor trailers into they can make TV work. Nothing some wire and duct tape cant fix!

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
On the never gonna happen chance that the Islanders find themselves in the SCF Islander ownership would be nuts not to push really hard for the Coli. Buildings can win you championships believe this from someone who watched the 1986 Red Sox implode in front of the most hostile Shea Stadium crowd you can ever imagine. The entire stadium was physically moving I kid you not.

They have a full basement in the coli that you can pull tractor trailers into they can make TV work. Nothing some wire and duct tape cant fix!

Winning a championship would add tons of momentum behind Belmont.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What would be different compared to what they air on MSG? # of cameras?
Yes. The Coliseum doesn’t have enough plug ins to handle the additional cameras NBC and TSN use, and they don’t have the room for extra media that sits in the press box.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yes. The Coliseum doesn’t have enough plug ins to handle the additional cameras NBC and TSN use, and they don’t have the room for extra media that sits in the press box.
Pffff, easy fix.

31ifZs%2BF1bL.jpg

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

The camera position dodge is probably the most disingenuous of all the NHL excuses. You can put a high def camera in a thimble these days. Don't tell me they can't find a way to position the cameras they need at the Coli. Total BS.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The camera position dodge is probably the most disingenuous of all the NHL excuses. You can put a high def camera in a thimble these days. Don't tell me they can't find a way to position the cameras they need at the Coli. Total BS.

Being able to put a camera somewhere and have it broadcast properly are two different things. I have no idea if it's possible to do or not, but have you seen the trucks they use for broadcasts? They need everything in a very specific format in order for the operation to run smoothly.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I assume this means in round 1 that all the coliseum games will probably have lousy time slots (if they are on Saturday or Sunday) and none will use any NBC crews, they’ll just tap into either the NYI or opposing team telecast. That’s gonna be odd because NBC usually has a crew on every eastern conference first round series. 1 or 2 of the west ones they usually just tap into their telecasts

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Being able to put a camera somewhere and have it broadcast properly are two different things. I have no idea if it's possible to do or not, but have you seen the trucks they use for broadcasts? They need everything in a very specific format in order for the operation to run smoothly.
I don't claim to technical expertise about what is specifically needed, but I do live in a world where pretty much everything is being captured in HD virtually everywhere all the time and then broadcast to the world in an instant with no pre-planning or special equipment beyond a phone. Now obviously filming an NHL game with the quality necessary for broadcast is far more involved than that, but with the benefit of time to prepare and the latest equipment I refuse to believe that it cannot be done and I don't believe that it would require such a super-human effort and expenditure of resources as to make it unworkable. I just don't buy it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't claim to technical expertise about what is specifically needed, but I do live in a world where pretty much everything is being captured in HD virtually everywhere all the time and then broadcast to the world in an instant with no pre-planning or special equipment beyond a phone. Now obviously filming an NHL game with the quality necessary for broadcast is far more involved than that, but with the benefit of time to prepare and the latest equipment I refuse to believe that it cannot be done and I don't believe that it would require such a super-human effort and expenditure of resources as to make it unworkable. I just don't buy it.

That might be true, but NBC/NHL might not do anything that costs them more money when there's a "viable" alternative already in place.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That might be true, but NBC/NHL might not do anything that costs them more money when there's a "viable" alternative already in place.
It's not viable for the league if no one shows up either. And again, I am talking about next year, not this. I accept the compromise in place for this years playoffs and would attend Barclays this year.

ALEXIVICH CHULKATURI

Dec 5, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Seattle is the 32nd team. Please stop acting/posting like you know what you’re talking about.

My Dardes school of business degree from the university of Virginia tells me I know more about business in my pinky than you do in your whole entire body. I made a mistake and now corrected I feel even more grave about the team not being in New York by the 50 year anniversary. Houston and Milwaukee have owners who have a lot more money than our owners do and one even has a new arena to boot. If it wasn't for Bettman I'm not sure we would even be here. I get it 'the man speaking harsh truth is an idiot, burn him, kill him, just make his disappear' but it's still not going to change reality that three brand new arenas built within 10 years and not more than 30 miles apart is probably not happening. I love me some keyboard tough guys.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have been clear that my primary concern is for the regular season in the years between 2019-20 and whenever Belmont is built. If it is ever built.....

No, you haven't been clear about it being for the regular season since you're commenting on a topic in relation to the playoffs and why the games won't be played at the Coliseum past the first round.

I'm not going to debate attendance at the Barclays center. The split is dumb, but the Islanders aren't going to spend millions of dollars to make the Coliseum viable for playoff games only for two seasons if the team makes it that far.

You admitted you don't have the technical knowledge, but are adamant that there is a better solution.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No, you haven't been clear about it being for the regular season since you're commenting on a topic in relation to the playoffs and why the games won't be played at the Coliseum past the first round.

I'm not going to debate attendance at the Barclays center. The split is dumb, but the Islanders aren't going to spend millions of dollars to make the Coliseum viable for playoff games only for two seasons if the team makes it that far.

You admitted you don't have the technical knowledge, but are adamant that there is a better solution.
Dude, I'm commenting on a non-playoff specific thread about the Brooklyn/Belmont arena situation. I have clarified twice already that I will not attend Barclays again for a regular season game ever. Period. If the Isles can make the playoffs in those years between now and when Belmont is built, if it ever is, I would consider buying a playoff ticket for a game at Barclays if I saw that real progress was being made at Belmont. I hope that clears it up for you.

As to the camera situation, your position is that the NHL is being fully forthright about that as a reason for not having games at the Coli and so you accept their explanation. I say they are full of sh*t. Neither you nor I possess the technical knowledge to know who's right, who's wrong or if the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad