Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015
He's gonna get $6M for idk how many years (here i guess) compare that to Bailey's $5M....

Thats said, many of you say someone to replace him is hard to come by, so why wouldnt we keep him?
Brock is a lifer for us i believe :)

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He's gonna get $6M for idk how many years (here i guess) compare that to Bailey's $5M....

Thats said, many of you say someone to replace him is hard to come by, so why wouldnt we keep him?
Sure hope you're wrong. Brock Nelson needs to be put back in the toy box than boxed and shipped away to the goodwill. Those old toys still hold value to someone and the Isles are a giving organization.

Reactions: WangMustGo

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

The same way I was CONFIDENT that we would never win a Stanley Cup with wang as owner, I feel the same way about Nelson if he's playing a prominent role like #2 center while taking up a big chunk of the cap for the next 5+ years.

Therefore I 100% to trade him ASAP and I'll put my faith in Lou/Trotz to find a better replacement in the near future.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
The same way I was CONFIDENT that we would never win a Stanley Cup with wang as owner, I feel the same way about Nelson if he's playing a prominent role like #2 center while taking up a big chunk of the cap for the next 5+ years.

Therefore I 100% to trade him ASAP and I'll put my faith in Lou/Trotz to find a better replacement in the near future.

I hated Nelson as much as the next guy, but he has been real good this year...shockingly good.

If he's willing to take 5 years at 4 mil, I'd consider it. You can have him replace Fil and go out and get a legit number 2C.

But if he wants more money or more years, I'd trade him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I hated Nelson as much as the next guy, but he has been real good this year...shockingly good.

If he's willing to take 5 years at 4 mil, I'd consider it. You can have him replace Fil and go out and get a legit number 2C.

But if he wants more money or more years, I'd trade him.

Dude...

Nelson is making 4.25M/year right now. He's getting AT LEAST 5 million/year as a UFA.

But more importantly...You need consistent players to win and Nelson is literally Jeckyll and Hyde. Your #2 center should be a "core player," and to me a team with Brock Nelson in its core needs to overcompensate for a guy who doesn't produce nearly as much as he should.

The only way I'd DEAL with Nelson on my team long term is as a #3 center, but the numbers don't work for him to be paid as such.

Add it all up and it's in the Isles interest to deal him.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Dude...

Nelson is making 4.25M/year right now. He's getting AT LEAST 5 million/year as a UFA.

But more importantly...You need consistent players to win and Nelson is literally Jeckyll and Hyde. Your #2 center should be a "core player," and to me a team with Brock Nelson in its core needs to overcompensate for a guy who doesn't produce nearly as much as he should.

The only way I'd DEAL with Nelson on my team long term is as a #3 center, but the numbers don't work for him to be paid as such.

I know he's going to ask for more, and will get it from another team.

But I wouldn't call him a Jeckyll and Hyde type as he's sucked every year consistently, except this year. Maybe Trotz finally got through to him, who knows.

And I would only consider him for the 3C spot.

But if he wants the money, I ain't going to cry when he leaves.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I know he's going to ask for more, and will get it from another team.

But I wouldn't call him a Jeckyll and Hyde type as he's sucked every year consistently, except this year. Maybe Trotz finally got through to him, who knows.

And I would only consider him for the 3C spot.

But if he wants the money, I ain't going to cry when he leaves.

Well he's going to ask for and get more money so be prepared not to cry.

Also you're not realizing that even with superior coaching Nelson is doing his usual...Start great and fade routine. His play hasn't been near where it was the first month as of late.

And besides...When for 5 years a guy frustrates the hell out of you I'm not giving him a massive extension even if he had an amazing year. You have to prove it for at least 2 years that you got your **** together. Nelson is the perfect candidate to regress back to maddening after getting a huge deal.

Pass x a million.

Last edited:

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Well he's going to ask for and get more money so be prepared not to cry.

Also you're not realizing that even with superior coaching Nelson is doing his usual...Start great and fade routine. His play hasn't been near where it was the first month as of late.

And besides...When for 5 years a guy frustrates the hell out of you I'm not giving him a massive extension even if he had an amazing year. You have to prove it for at least 2 years that you got your **** together. Nelson is the perfect candidate to regress back to maddening after getting a huge deal.

Pass x a million.

Believe me, I ain't gonna cry if he leaves.

All I'm saying is he's looked great so far.
If come deadline time he hasn't regressed, I would understand if Lou re-signed to a reasonable deal.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Dude...

Yep. Core players need to be consistent. While Minny is looking for offense we should offer Nelson and Pelech for Brodin. If we need to add a prospect I'm okay with that too. That takes TWO inconsistencies out of the lineup for ONE VERY consistent player at a need position.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yep. Core players need to be consistent. While Minny is looking for offense we should offer Nelson and Pelech for Brodin. If we need to add a prospect I'm okay with that too. That takes TWO inconsistencies out of the lineup for ONE VERY consistent player at a need position.

Thank you.

Just because you're hungry doesn't mean you need to look through trash for some food. Find a better way.

Reactions: IODCPiper

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
So tell me who on the team is lighting it up on the score board..Golden boy with his three goals on the year, seeing that your comment is all about goals.
I did not specifically mention goals, but no one has ever called Brock an assist machine. The only guy lighting the scoreboard at all is Anders, by the way.

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
I did not specifically mention goals, but no one has ever called Brock an assist machine. The only guy lighting the scoreboard at all is Anders, by the way.
So lee has one more point then Nelson in the last ten games but Lee is lighting it up and Nelson is in a slump something isn’t making and sense to me.

Reactions: dood

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would like to see Nelson recouping a 1st rd pick at the TD.

I think I have moved on this season as one of transition to retool this summer. Sort of what Buffalo did this year. Think what is best in the long run, as opposed to the short run.

Reactions: IODCPiper and dood

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Nelson can score at times and has so in bunches in the past but it's really the rest of his game that bothers me despite his vastly improved play.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Without factoring in term (debate how wise that is later), what's the approximate going base rate for-
...an elite superstar player? 11MM$
... a star player? 8.75MM$
... a very good player 6.5MM$
If you think Brock hits that status of "very good" player, you're prepared to pay him that. If not, you're not. To me, he should top out at 6MM$. I can see someone giving him a two year 13MM$ total deal so he can demonstrate that he's worth a longer deal, and given the Seattle reality, that'd be a smart move from his agent. If his play is great over the next 2.5 years, I think he'd fare well in the new economy that would see another team competing for resources.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Not a single PP point in his total. Somewhat noteworthy. I guess the question is, is he a second line center? Seems like a 50 pt season is within reach . That puts him in that category statistically. If he were a little better on faceoffs or a little more agressive on the forecheck or little more physical or a little better defensively I would be a lot more comfortable with the Isles paying him.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
For the right price and term, I wouldn't mind seeing Nelson return. Provided of course that Lou and Trotz believe he has turned the corner in his development.

Primarily because the Isles are woefully thin at center and throughout the system. Ideally, as the Isles upgrade the overall offensive talent, they should be looking to roll three capable scoring lines and just one checking/grinder line.

It will be hard enough to add another solid center behind Barzal, so keeping Nelson around makes the process a bit easier. If the Isles can get JHS at least proficient on defense, he could be a cheap RW to ride shotgun with Nelson on a third scoring line.

Of course the other end of the spectrum is if you can trade upcoming UFAs like Eberle, Nelson, etc. for either a younger/cheap asset that can play center or fill another need, like on defense.

Ultimately this is what Lou and Trotz need to figure out.

Reactions: IODCPiper

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For the right price and term, I wouldn't mind seeing Nelson return. Provided of course that Lou and Trotz believe he has turned the corner in his development.

Primarily because the Isles are woefully thin at center and throughout the system. Ideally, as the Isles upgrade the overall offensive talent, they should be looking to roll three capable scoring lines and just one checking/grinder line.

If you want to remain mediocre for longer, you give big/long-term contracts based on need rather than the talent of the player.

Reactions: WangMustGo and MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nelson has shown me on Brocktober 71st that he isn't capable of keeping Brocktober rolling, just as we all suspected. Hard pass on Nelson moving forward, unless it's for a bargain price and low term. Then he can be third line wing.

Reactions: MJF

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If you want to remain mediocre for longer, you give big/long-term contracts based on need rather than the talent of the player.

It doesn't seem like you really read my post. I specifically said, for the right price and term, I wouldn't mind seeing Nelson return.

And, maybe it wasn't clear, but if they could find a fair deal for player and team, I would be fine with Nelson as the 3C. With Barzal and a better 2C in place, Nelson could be a very strong 3C and better than mediocre.

The Isles have cheap wingers in the system so, retaining Nelson on a reasonable deal as the 3C, isn't necessarily a problem if he has turned the corner. I am not advocating to OVERPAY based on need, but you have to balance need with resources and availability too.

But if you trade Nelson, what is your (reasonable) plan to add a 2C and 3C before the start of next season? I am all for improving at the position if possible.

Outside of Duchene as a UFA, it looks like the bulk of the UFAs are a bunch of older players in Spezza, Pavelski, Staal, etc. or even more mediocre players like Brassard.

It is going to be very hard to add two quality centers, let alone not overpay due to demand. Happy to hear suggestions though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad