Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Right on my birthday, man would I love to read that Lou heard enough and sent him packing
With the production we are losing with Tavares leaving, I expect Nelson to at least start the season with the isles.

Even if he wins in arbitration and is overpaid for 2018-2019,I think we will see him start the season in an isles jersey.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
With the production we are losing with Tavares leaving, I expect Nelson to at least start the season with the isles.

Even if he wins in arbitration and is overpaid for 2018-2019,I think we will see him start the season in an isles jersey.

Your probably right. After all, Lou said he will be an Islander, I'd love to see him moved for help now, but he is more likely deadline trade bait to give a contender some scoring help

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Your probably right. After all, Lou said he will be an Islander, I'd love to see him moved for help now, but he is more likely deadline trade bait to give a contender some scoring help
Teams are more likely to overpay at the TDL .
I would be leery of giving big bucks to a player who lacks drive, but who has had a big season in his contract yr.

I do not mind Bailey's new contract because $5m per is pretty team friendly, when you consider Bailey would have been one of the top ufa forwards if he reached the July 1st market.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
In 22 games played to start the year Nelson has 9 goals and 9 assists for 18 pts.

The amazing thing is that he has no PP points. Everything has come at even strength. Production aside, he’s looked like a completely different player. I still don’t believe he’s the long term solution as the #2 Center but he certainly deserves credit for the start he’s had.

Maybe Trotz speaks his language? It happens every so often where a particular coach gets through to a player. I think we’re seeing that with Nelson.

I’d really like to play him on the #1 PP. Beauvillier and Nelson are probably our 2 best left hand shooters on the team.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
In 22 games played to start the year Nelson has 9 goals and 9 assists for 18 pts.

The amazing thing is that he has no PP points. Everything has come at even strength. Production aside, he’s looked like a completely different player. I still don’t believe he’s the long term solution as the #2 Center but he certainly deserves credit for the start he’s had.

Maybe Trotz speaks his language? It happens every so often where a particular coach gets through to a player. I think we’re seeing that with Nelson.

I’d really like to play him on the #1 PP. Beauvillier and Nelson are probably our 2 best left hand shooters on the team.

At this point I really feel like we are watching Brock become a man. He's grown up before our very eyes.

Reactions: SI90

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
At this point I really feel like we are watching Brock become a man. He's grown up before our very eyes.

He had an absolute monster shift that led to the Barzal goal in OT against the Devils. Wasn't much discussed but displyed a compete level absent from his game last year.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Correct...And I'd still trade him in a second for the right deal.

Now here is the question, with him turning the corner a la Bailey he could actually be the 2C that this team needs. Combine that with the fact that VF51 looks good is he really a guy this team wants to trade? It would just be creating a hole that needs to be filled in another way.

And unless Matt Duchene is walking through these doors Nelson is one of the better 2C's out there.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He's playing a lot like KO on his breakout year, but that's not the issue...the issue is consistency. Can he keep this up? I do't want to lock him up in a multi-year deal if he's just going to suck for the remainder of the cont. Let another team take that chance or sign a max 3 year deal, then a long term 7 year deal until he retires. All for a lower than 5.5m AAV at best.

Still would rather trade his while his value is high.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I think you need to sign top six skaters that want to be here. You can't sign any as free agents, in 30 years they signed maybe one. Trading is it's own difficult problem. If Brock goes back to his usual form, he's still useful player who will be overpaid a little. Same for eberle and Lee. It's the 3rd 4th liners that should not be signed for more than two years. LAD WAS already slowing down and had to be paid every last dollar to be signed. That's different situation then these 3 guys. Even then Ladd is not complete bust look at the Mets the last ten years Ladd would be considered a not bad signing.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Thanksgiving fun fact
Last season on January 31st which was our 52nd game of the year Brock was 10g - 7a - 17 points. Sheriff Woody to the rescue. Just pull his string and reach for the stars.

Reactions: SI90

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He's playing a lot like KO on his breakout year, but that's not the issue...the issue is consistency. Can he keep this up? I do't want to lock him up in a multi-year deal if he's just going to suck for the remainder of the cont. Let another team take that chance or sign a max 3 year deal, then a long term 7 year deal until he retires. All for a lower than 5.5m AAV at best.

Still would rather trade his while his value is high.
Love his compete level this season, but I am not in favor of giving him a big 5 -6 year extension and I expect that is what it will take.

I have seen fans make the Bailey comparison ( late bloomer).
Just not a gamble I want to see the isles take.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Thanksgiving fun fact
Last season on January 31st which was our 52nd game of the year Brock was 10g - 7a - 17 points. Sheriff Woody to the rescue. Just pull his string and reach for the stars.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Sparksrus3

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Love his compete level this season, but I am not in favor of giving him a big 5 -6 year extension and I expect that is what it will take.

I have seen fans make the Bailey comparison ( late bloomer).
Just not a gamble I want to see the isles take.

The difference between Bailey and Nelson for me, a Bailey supporter, is that I never saw Nelson thinking the game well. Bailey was always looking to make the right play or was cautious, but I could see that he understood plays that were developing and what he wanted to do. He'd get too cute sometimes, and we'll never mistake him for a physical player, but he always had good vision and understanding of the game. Nelson is a guy who always racked up points by being the third man in and getting his shot off. Nothing about his game ever made you think he was a high IQ player, until this season.

I'm one who believes coaching and systems can have a massive impact on a player, so it's possible he just fits with Trotz. It's also possible he'll regress after getting paid like so many before him. Buyer beware.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
At what point does he go back his his usual ways? And we all start hating him again. He’s never out together a full 82 games. Idk if he’s even put a consistent 41 games together.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I would not give Nelson money and I wanted to give Bailey money. Bailey elevated Tavares while Nelson’s never made those around him better and still doesn’t really so far this season.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Both Nelson and Eberle are both playing for contracts. Only 1 is hustling and playing an all around team game. 2nd line centers are not easy to find. Isles have many play makers but not as many scorers. I think we need to give it more time but Brock is looking like a keeper to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad