Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Brock just doesn't have a spot on this team. He has to play on the wing in the top six and he needs a line driver to play with to be effective (Barzal/HoSang type). If they can get a late 1st rounder for him or even two seconds, they should ship him right out and not think twice about it.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Brock just doesn't have a spot on this team. He has to play on the wing in the top six and he needs a line driver to play with to be effective (Barzal/HoSang type). If they can get a late 1st rounder for him or even two seconds, they should ship him right out and not think twice about it.
with bellows replacing him hopefully next year this is something we need to do.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The only way that may potentially happen is if the organization stops experimenting with Nelson at center.

Why we probably have Nelson on LW with Barzal and Beau centering Lee and Bailey.... Barzal and Nelson had good chemistry once I believe the Detroit OT goal

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Why we probably have Nelson on LW with Barzal and Beau centering Lee and Bailey.... Barzal and Nelson had good chemistry once I believe the Detroit OT goal
Beauviller tried to play center and he was so bad he got sent to the minors.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
If he gets extended for more than a year, I am going to scream.

I can't remember watching a player so disinterested. Unless Brock has a significant amount of time and space, alone, through the middle of the offensive zone, he useless.

Let's move on.

(Please don't give me "he is a great goalscorer"- he scored a whopping 19 times on a highly offensive minded team, not to mention PP time)

Reactions: dood

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If he gets extended for more than a year, I am going to scream.

I can't remember watching a player so disinterested. Unless Brock has a significant amount of time and space, alone, through the middle of the offensive zone, he useless.

Let's move on.

(Please don't give me "he is a great goalscorer"- he scored a whopping 19 times on a highly offensive minded team, not to mention PP time)

He's frustrating, for sure but I'm not sure we can really say he's "disinterested". Different players carry themselves differently. I'm honestly not sure what the root cause of his lack of production is (as he's been productive it in the past) but I'm not going to say the dude is disinterested. He's struggled and been frustrating as hell but I won't say that he doesn't try or doesn't care. That's not really fair for us to say based on....facial expressions?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I think Beauvillier can be a better center in NHL than we’ve seem with more weight on him frame.

Hopefully he has a big summer.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think Beauvillier can be a better center in NHL than we’ve seem with more weight on him frame.

Hopefully he has a big summer.

I think there's something special with Beau and Barzal on the ice and off. Brock would really do this team a favor if he could get his game together. Improved Brock and Greiss would be huge.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He was mostly playing LW at that time. And when he did get spotted in at center, it was between Nelson and Chimera, who I can't really fault him for not being able to carry. Not saying he's necessarily able/ready to play C full time, but I wouldn't rule it out based on that is all.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Beau knows how to play the game. He has an NHL mind...he can play centre for sure and I think he needed a kick in the arse to get his motor going.

Nelson on the other hand...I know he tries....lord knows it was a jaw dropper when he dropped the gloves last year, but he just doesn't have it.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I actually think Nelson's positioning on the ice might mesh with Barzal good

Reactions: BarzyClub

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
He's frustrating, for sure but I'm not sure we can really say he's "disinterested". Different players carry themselves differently. I'm honestly not sure what the root cause of his lack of production is (as he's been productive it in the past) but I'm not going to say the dude is disinterested. He's struggled and been frustrating as hell but I won't say that he doesn't try or doesn't care. That's not really fair for us to say based on....facial expressions?

His facial expression? No (even though he does sport a dumb look on his face most of the time)

It has more to do with his inability to contribute defensively, unwillingness to take a hit in order to make a play, lack of competitiveness along the boards... everything about his play is disinterested IMO. Funny enough, I was his biggest supporter when we drafted him through UND to Bridgeport to NYI- even bought his jersey

But it this point, I don't think Brock Nelson has what it takes.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Brock Nelson = looks like Tarzan plays like Cheetah . Just move him for anything hopefully there is another team out there that feels that this guy has potential and likes his 19 goals.

Big Boss

Nov 17, 2013
At least he can score near 20-25 goals. It's all about price. I'm fine with Brock for less than 3.5 mills per year.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I am willing to see how he does under Trotz before totally writing him off

They’ll likely have no other choice.

Any 2C is going to cost a big piece that I don’t see GMLL willing to part with.

Maybe next draft/summer after him and Trotz have evaluated the organization more in depth, but not at this juncture.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
wasn’t he also centering quine and fritz? sounds like a group you want on your wing as a center.

He was never lined up with a player that made sense, he has great chemistry with Lee (his best friend and see end of 16/17 with Judas injure) and Ho-Sang (see early 2017/18 season)

Coaching with Nelson will mean everything, he is not an outside the box thinker

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
He was never lined up with a player that made sense, he has great chemistry with Lee (his best friend and see end of 16/17 with Judas injure) and Ho-Sang (see early 2017/18 season)

Coaching with Nelson will mean everything, he is not an outside the box thinker

This! Not only will coaching help impact Nelson but the entire team. No one should be moved until the season to see how these players react to the new system and style of Trotz. It would be a bad move to trade a player that might have the potential to be a great fit in a system for someone who might not be as well as a fit. We aren't barren of talent. Lets see how we come together with an actual coherent plan in place.

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This! Not only will coaching help impact Nelson but the entire team. No one should be moved until the season to see how these players react to the new system and style of Trotz. It would be a bad move to trade a player that might have the potential to be a great fit in a system for someone who might not be as well as a fit. We aren't barren of talent. Lets see how we come together with an actual coherent plan in place.

The guys that did well without coaching were the smarter guys like Hickey or Bailey.... Nelson is clearly a guy that needs to be coached, he has more talent in his left toe than Hickey has in his body, but Hickey is smart and adapted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad