Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Need to find a partner for a lateral move for Nelson. Ala Strome for Eberle.

I would be very happy if the Isles could flip Nelson for a defensively-sound 3C. Someone who can man a line that can match up against the competitions top line and win some important draws. Or a quality defender would also be welcome. I cannot understand why Nelson seems to be a favorite of Snow's. They must be drinking buddies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I would be very happy if the Isles could flip Nelson for a defensively-sound 3C. Someone who can man a line that can match up against the competitions top line and win some important draws. Or a quality defender would also be welcome. I cannot understand why Nelson seems to be a favorite of Snow's. They must be drinking buddies.

Quick fix to that - could be Nelson for Ryan Murray and then sign Filppula or Riley Nash in the offseason. Or trade Greiss for Fransie for your 3C.

Reactions: IODCPiper

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
watching the Leafs vrs the B's last night I had some passing thoughts that Brock Nelson would be invisible in a series like that unfortunately..

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

You really think someone, such as Ottawa, would trade J.G. Pageau for Nelson at this point, because that's essentially what you are proposing.

Nelson's production at this point is basically that of a 3C, but he doesn't do any of the stuff away from the puck.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
You really think someone, such as Ottawa, would trade J.G. Pageau for Nelson at this point, because that's essentially what you are proposing.

Nelson's production at this point is basically that of a 3C, but he doesn't do any of the stuff away from the puck.

I am not proposing that trade at all, I specifically didn't mention any names. It all depends on team need.

If there is a team out there that sees Nelson's shot and thinks he can be a cheap second-line LW, maybe there is a fit for a player who plays a game like Kulemin but is a center. (Essentially a healthy Cizikas who can win more draws. Or, even better, a healthy Grabo.)

Other options include expanding the deal of course to include additional picks/players/prospects. I would think Ottawa might listen if it was say Nelson and one of the Isles second rounders for Pageau. They could then see if Nelson is a fit or even trade him for another pick/prospect AND their owner sheds an additional year of salary at $3.1 million.
Nelson isn't completely worthless, even with all of his faults. He just doesn't fit in the Isles top-6 anymore and isn't the grinder they need at center (assuming JT signs). But he could fit on a team looking for cheap offense for a season then bring back another asset if they opt to move him.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Quick fix to that - could be Nelson for Ryan Murray and then sign Filppula or Riley Nash in the offseason. Or trade Greiss for Fransie for your 3C.

Greiss and Clutterbuck for Nielsen and Howard. I’d be on board with that.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Would this be possible??? !!

don't play with me.

Nielsen's NMC becomes a modified NTC.

Nielsen is owed 5.25m for the next 4 years and he'll be 34. And that contract is buyout proof.

Red wings maybe want to get free from the contract- they take on Greiss who they can easily buyout the following season if it doesn't work for them. Isles could get some salary retention in the final 2 years.

Truth is Riley Nash is going to get Bonino $ - Plekanec will go back to Montreal and Filppula will also get paid even at 35.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nielsen's NMC becomes a modified NTC.

Nielsen is owed 5.25m for the next 4 years and he'll be 34. And that contract is buyout proof.

Red wings maybe want to get free from the contract- they take on Greiss who they can easily buyout the following season if it doesn't work for them. Isles could get some salary retention in the final 2 years.

Truth is Riley Nash is going to get Bonino $ - Plekanec will go back to Montreal and Filppula will also get paid even at 35.
We'd have two buyout proof contracts long term. I don't think it makes sense.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’d rather just buy out Greiss.

Re-sign Kulemin and hope Cizikas and Clutterbuck bounce back.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Staple suggesting that the Islanders and Nelson are talking contract... (Staple: Faced with the harsh reality of the post-Tavares...)

"Word around the team is that the Isles and Brock Nelson’s agent are engaging in contract talks. Nelson is an RFA and appeared most likely to be dealt if Tavares stayed. Now with Tavares gone, Nelson could be the most attractive 2C out there, costing only money rather than prospects and picks."

Unless it is a super cheap and short term deal, I want nothing to do with Brock Nelson on this team next year. His lackadaisical approach and low energy style plays against everything Barry Trotz preaches and would be a blow to this team moving forward. Especially at 2C!

Reactions: Macch

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Well you're kind of stuck now.. I'd still trade him but who knows. Back in 2010 Nelson was decent defensively then he just became a guy who scores off the rush. Can Trotz get him back? If not trade him later and move on.

Tavares leaving bought us time to make a proper plan going forward building around Barzal, Beau and Pulock.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Please share the substance you are currently using with the rest of us

Well I just came back from a long workout so it could be endorphins but.... Nelson is going to break out this year, I have made him my new Quine...

Look at the games when he played aggressively, tried to fight, penalty killed with very aggressive forecheck, this is very much like Bailey, and in some ways on paper he has outproduced Bailey if you match the early years of their careers. This is a project that Trotz will conquer

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Maybe Trotz can get Nelstone to elevate his game this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad