Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
Nelson is valued by Garth Snow higher than anyone else. Garth luvs him his own draft picks.

Nelson has an excellent wrist shot but not much else. He's 6'3" 240lbs but plays on the perimeter. He has to be fed the puck and will take his shot from the high slot.

If you want him you can have him. A 2nd round pick would be more than enough to get him, and I'll drive him to the airport. No need to thank me.:nod:
Think you are off on his weight, more around 270 lbs

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Nelson is valued by Garth Snow higher than anyone else. Garth luvs him his own draft picks.

Nelson has an excellent wrist shot but not much else. He's 6'3" 240lbs but plays on the perimeter. He has to be fed the puck and will take his shot from the high slot.

If you want him you can have him. A 2nd round pick would be more than enough to get him, and I'll drive him to the airport. No need to thank me.:nod:
Don’t forget that his excellent wrist shot ends up in shin pads 95% of the time

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Think you are off on his weight, more around 270 lbs

Lol. Did the Isles acquire Dustin Byfulein?

Nelson’s high center of gravity and poor balance will make him easy to knock down at just about any weight.

Nelson isn’t entirely the problem of this team... but he most definitely is not a solution.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Lol. Did the Isles acquire Dustin Byfulein?

Nelson’s high center of gravity and poor balance will make him easy to knock down at just about any weight.

Nelson isn’t entirely the problem of this team... but he most definitely is not a solution.

He is a consistent factor though, the 3rd line is contaminated when is on it, if you saw Prince and Quine in the 3rd period last night, they looked very good together, if there are sustained injuries I assume Fritz will be on that line and the debutante will get in Barzal's way

If you took a vacation to Venus for the past 4 months and looked out at our player stats... the only negative that would jump out at you would be his paltry 13 points

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He is a consistent factor though, the 3rd line is contaminated when is on it, if you saw Prince and Quine in the 3rd period last night, they looked very good together, if there are sustained injuries I assume Fritz will be on that line and the debutante will get in Barzal's way

If you took a vacation to Venus for the past 4 months and looked out at our player stats... the only negative that would jump out at you would be his paltry 13 points

Problems with this analogy is that I don’t have a problem with Nelson’s production. He is inconsistent but usually ends up at the same level by the end of the year.

The parts of Nelson’s game that are the issue are the ones that can only be observed from watching him game in game out. He’s not strong on the puck, inconsistent effort and seems to react to game situations too slowly.

I’d have no problem with sacrificing his goal scoring for a true bottom six center who is good at face-offs, smart positionally and cable of controlling the boards. Kind of like a healthy Martin Hanzal.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Quine was disgusting last night. Prince is a 13th forward on a good team. Putting them together is throung shit up against the wall to see if it sticks.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Quine was disgusting last night. Prince is a 13th forward on a good team. Putting them together is throung **** up against the wall to see if it sticks.

I know I am a big Quine defender and will call him out if he stinks... but in the 3rd period, Quine was playing with JT and looked better (who doesn't) and with Prince they had a good passing game, Quine won faceoffs last night (4-2), and had limited ice time, he doesn't get much of a chance. Prince... I love his heart, and he could be a very good bottom 6 guy, he has speed, goes to dirty areas... they need to have a chance to play regularly... playing with Nelson doesn't work.

Isles can't make any trades right now, only teams out of it have weak forwards and are part of the reason why their teams are weak, so throwing Nelson **** up against the wall is the only option, and you can't make a trade over the break, as teams don't even practice to assimilate a player into the lineup, maybe in Weight's system that is good, player won't be destroyed

Reactions: dood

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Problems with this analogy is that I don’t have a problem with Nelson’s production. He is inconsistent but usually ends up at the same level by the end of the year.

The parts of Nelson’s game that are the issue are the ones that can only be observed from watching him game in game out. He’s not strong on the puck, inconsistent effort and seems to react to game situations too slowly.

I’d have no problem with sacrificing his goal scoring for a true bottom six center who is good at face-offs, smart positionally and cable of controlling the boards. Kind of like a healthy Martin Hanzal.

He has never gone 2 plus months with 5 points, this is what I would expect from Ross Johnston if he got the playing time of Nelson...

And yes visually he is a lot worse than his statline. It is like Turtle from Entourage meets Jesse from Breaking Bad.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
He has never gone 2 plus months with 5 points, this is what I would expect from Ross Johnston if he got the playing time of Nelson...

And yes visually he is a lot worse than his statline. It is like Turtle from Entourage meets Jesse from Breaking Bad.

So this is your fault . Just like the movie Candyman. Ross Johnston, Ross Johnston , Ross Johnston then poof he is here .
You said his name first .

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
So this is your fault . Just like the movie Candyman. Ross Johnston, Ross Johnston , Ross Johnston then poof he is here .
You said his name first .

Yep I prophesied this one, much like predicting lines in a bad Hostel movie... really Isles exploring all options at this point

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Yep I prophesied this one, much like predicting lines in a bad Hostel movie... really Isles exploring all options at this point

And just like predicting lines the predictable moves Snow makes have predictable results

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Nelson could always take MMA and take over Chimera/Martin spot on the 4th line. I mean sure, he'd get clobbered by any one in his weightclass, but he could be the NYI new bully with some goal scoring upside.

NOT.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Nelson could always take MMA and take over Chimera/Martin spot on the 4th line. I mean sure, he'd get clobbered by any one in his weightclass, but he could be the NYI new bully with some goal scoring upside.

NOT.

If Johnston gets to play on the power play, and on a 3rd line his number probably aren't that far off from 9-5-14, I mean he probably goes 3-3-6 but gets 8 good fights in and goes 6-0-2 in battles, although Nelson is 1-0 he beat Andy Green, and he was going to be fighting Cam Atkinson next

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Can we get rid of this guy already...I think that while he can score during times when we don't need scoring..he does not benefit his linemates one bit...HE alone is responsible for the garbage 3rd line. It's not Quine, Prince or Ladd..not even a combination..it's all Nelson. Move those players to other lines..they start getting chances and start burying goals or getting assists...Nelson = garbage

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
So the Islanders don’t need scoring, watching the playoffs and ever team that scored the most goals have won the game. So I think scoring is an important part of the game.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If a team scores the most goals but also allows the most goals, who wins?

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Need to find a partner for a lateral move for Nelson. Ala Strome for Eberle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad