Friedman: Brock Nelson rumored to be available - Devils have interest

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
31 Thoughts: Rogers wanted NHL trade deadline in primetime - Sportsnet.ca

A name starting to creep out there: Brock Nelson. With Johnny Boychuk and Calvin de Haan out, the Islanders need help on the blue line. There will be interest... I’m not even sure he’d be available if the Islanders weren’t in a “missing the playoffs is not an option” stage, although he is one year from unrestricted free agency. I’m told Nelson is very hard on himself, which can affect anyone, but I’ll always take that over someone who doesn’t care enough.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
A name starting to creep out there: Brock Nelson. With Johnny Boychuk and Calvin de Haan out, the Islanders need help on the blue line. There will be interest. He’s a good player, slotted behind John Tavares and Mathew Barzal. I’m not even sure he’d be available if the Islanders weren’t in a “missing the playoffs is not an option” stage, although he is one year from unrestricted free agency. I’m told Nelson is very hard on himself, which can affect anyone, but I’ll always take that over someone who doesn’t care enough.

friedman is saying two different things in 3 sentences

Reactions: BHD

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Any Islander fans who watch Nelson regularly want to shine a light on his abilities and his playing style?

One of the best snap shots in the NHL.

That's all.

But for real, his shot is lethal. He was also the oddest consistently inconsistent player. One of 30 players to get at least 20 goals and 40 points the past three years (likely won't hit 40 points this year) but with that it would be 9 goals in 12 games, 1 in 28, 8 goals in 10 games and then 2 in 30. So frustrating.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
This one stings a little:
24. Watching Dallas put Radulov with Seguin and Benn against Edmonton was absolutely mesmerizing. They scored a couple of beautiful goals and dominated play.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
One of the best snap shots in the NHL.

That's all.

But for real, his shot is lethal. He was also the oddest consistently inconsistent player. One of 30 players to get at least 20 goals and 40 points the past three years (likely won't hit 40 points this year) but with that it would be 9 goals in 12 games, 1 in 28, 8 goals in 10 games and then 2 in 30. So frustrating.

I'm not sure what his season breakouts have looked like but I'd be shocked if it wasn't exactly this.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm not sure what his season breakouts have looked like but I'd be shocked if it wasn't exactly this.
Been waiting on the next scoring bunch this year.. waiting patiently. I remember I did the breakdowns one year, it was pretty close to that. That's why I never minded Nelson because he was mostly hidden in the lineup so it was always appreciated. This year though the next wave hasn't been hit and we have other problems. Trade please!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Any Islander fans who watch Nelson regularly want to shine a light on his abilities and his playing style?
He is one of the 2 whipping boys for a frustrated fan base. Has been accused of not caring enough,sliding by on his skill.
Interesting to read Friedman's comments that Nelson is hard on himself, totally goes against the fan perception that he just does not care enough to play hard.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
This one stings a little:
24. Watching Dallas put Radulov with Seguin and Benn against Edmonton was absolutely mesmerizing. They scored a couple of beautiful goals and dominated play.
They did the same thing against winnipeg in the only 2 games against them and were out of the game by the 10 minute mark in the 1st in both.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Teams are all in need of defense this season, will probably guess they package him to a team like Arizona for either Hjalmersson or Ekman-Larsson.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Gunnarsson for Nelson? He still doesn’t really fill a need, but he is a large body with a good snapshot. Putting him on PP2 would be nice, but we still need more righties in order to fully utilize the one thing we never do when we score: the one-timer. And that’s why we have a bottom of the league powerplay and and can’t score when we have zone time and possession.

Gunnarsson is a decent top-4, and that’s a cheap, huge improvement on NYI’s D. He can also move the puck fairly well.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Gunnarsson for Nelson? He still doesn’t really fill a need, but he is a large body with a good snapshot. Putting him on PP2 would be nice, but we still need more righties in order to fully utilize the one thing we never do when we score: the one-timer. And that’s why we have a bottom of the league powerplay and and can’t score when we have zone time and possession.

Gunnarsson is a decent top-4, and that’s a cheap, huge improvement on NYI’s D. He can also move the puck fairly well.

That's not bad. Is Gunnarsson still seriously injury prone? Can he handle middle pairing minutes?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
:habs

Tomas Plekanec- 50%
Jordie Benn - Can play the left or right side but refers playing the right side.
5th round pick(Edmonton's, if Montoya plays 7 game its turns to a 4th)

:isles

Brock Nelson
2nd round pick - either one

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
That's not bad. Is Gunnarsson still seriously injury prone? Can he handle middle pairing minutes?

He’s looked great post-surgery since a year or so ago. We run all three D pairings, so Gunnar is the lead guy on the bottom for us, intil the emergence of Dunn. He still PKs and plays solid defensively. He’s been in and out of the lineup as Bouwmeester returns and comes back from injury. He’s still capable of eating minutes, but he’s not and never has been a guy to make you say “wow”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad