WWE: Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg official for Survivor Series; PPV will be 4 hours

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Fans of Goldberg, like me! :)

I don't really care how they use their money. Old time stars like this will continue to be used and I still think Goldberg will draw. At least wait and see how it goes first before moaning and groaning about it.

I saw how it goes 12 years ago. I won't spoil it for you aside from saying 2 guys in the crowd dressed as Hogan and Macho were more over with the crowd than Goldberg and Lesnar.

I was not happy about Sting showing up either. I said it would all be a rehashed WWE vs. WCW feud. I said Sting was too old to be working. Tell me, was I wrong?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Whadawe have here.. a couple-a hata's, couple-a hata's

-everyone on HFW...because everyone here hates everything....everyone....incase nobody got the joke.......

Don't... don't do that again.

Actually, you know what? Gong... you just made the list!

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Younger fan here, what are some good Goldberg matches to watch. I know I watched a match of his with Raven for the US title that I thought was great and another with DDP that I enjoyed. But that was just browsing YouTube. I'd like to watch his best stuff.

Goldberg vs. Hogan from Nitro in 1998 for the atmosphere as someone else here said.

My favourite WWE match of his was the elimination chamber at Summerslam 2003. He was so over in that arena and it was a real special kind of crowd reaction he got that night. He really should have won that match.

I saw how it goes 12 years ago. I won't spoil it for you aside from saying 2 guys in the crowd dressed as Hogan and Macho were more over with the crowd than Goldberg and Lesnar.

I was not happy about Sting showing up either. I said it would all be a rehashed WWE vs. WCW feud. I said Sting was too old to be working. Tell me, was I wrong?

The Lesnar-Goldberg match from WM 20 is not really an indicator of how good or bad they would really work together. Both guys knew it was their last match and they just didn't give a ****. There was almost no effort from either guy. I'm not saying it would have been a great match, but it would at least be passable.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So Goldberg at basically age 50 (DOB 12/27), who wrestled his last real match in 2004, is going to put on a good match out of the blue? I'm sure they can book it so, but it's not main event worthy. It also, as we discussed countless times, devalues the product from what it should be.

While they might see a small increase short-term, they'll lose long-term because all it does is **** all over the day-to-day performers who have to sit back and watch this garbage.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Brock matches are more like brawls. Very slow paced. I'm sure Goldberg and Brock could make it entertaining.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
So Goldberg at basically age 50 (DOB 12/27), who wrestled his last real match in 2004, is going to put on a good match out of the blue? I'm sure they can book it so, but it's not main event worthy. It also, as we discussed countless times, devalues the product from what it should be.

While they might see a small increase short-term, they'll lose long-term because all it does is **** all over the day-to-day performers who have to sit back and watch this garbage.

You're just another guy taking this way too serious. It's just wrestling bro. It's not a sport. It's entertainment. A one-time, one match deal with Goldberg with his cool entrance and his cool 3 moves will be fun to see. For ALOT of fans. I guess its not for the hardcore internet marks like yourself.

If it's the main event, who cares? Why does the last match have to be the best? That's all in your head. Just chill folks. Enjoy the ride. I know I will.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're just another guy taking this way too serious. It's just wrestling bro. It's not a sport. It's entertainment. A one-time, one match deal with Goldberg with his cool entrance and his cool 3 moves will be fun to see. Add in whatever story they wanna go with is icing on the vegan cake.

If it's the main event, who cares? Why does the last match have to be the best? Just chill folks. Enjoy the ride. I know I will.

That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Personally I like your way of thinking, but realistically it's not actually that simple. It's an investment of time. Time is insanely valuable and WWE is asking for around 5-15 hours of your week. :laugh:

So while I applaud the laid back way you are taking this, it's not realistic. There is a business, a product, entertainment value, time invested, money, a consumer, etc. So no... it's not just sitting back and enjoying it. These types of decisions have ramifications on their product and their fanbase.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I think we have the same problem as WMXX. Both guys are part timers who will get paid millions whether the match is good or not. There is no motivation. The only difference is that the crowd this time likely won't immediately turn on both men. Still, it's 2 old and unmotivated part timers. It will probably be better than their last match but I seriously doubt it's good enough to justify the expense.

Not to mention 2 guys who have been on the road all year will be bumped to the preshow for SS so 2 part timers can wrestle in the main event and make more money in 1 appearance than the full time wrestler has made all year. This kind of stuff has got to drag down the locker room. Brock and Goldberg both don't even like wrestling yet guys who live the business 300+ days every year are shuffled down the card for a cheap nostalgia pop.

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Toronto is a scary city to do that in. I could see Toronto absolutely ripping it apart. I thought I was i the vast minority of people who hate Goldberg, but am quite surprised to see how many people just don't want to see the guy based on his perception of the wrestling world. A lot of diehards, which are all that are left, are going to hold that against him the same way we all do. I'm not just going to forget his comments and his effort.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It would be different if it was a guy Brock respected. He respects Taker and they won't out there and left a lot in the ring.

They two don't care at all for each other so no one is going to the extra to help the other look good.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Toronto is a scary city to do that in. I could see Toronto absolutely ripping it apart. I thought I was i the vast minority of people who hate Goldberg, but am quite surprised to see how many people just don't want to see the guy based on his perception of the wrestling world. A lot of diehards, which are all that are left, are going to hold that against him the same way we all do. I'm not just going to forget his comments and his effort.

He represents everything wrong with this body image in wrestling. Some guy was pushed based totally on his look, with zero care to actual wrestling.

Add his views on wrestling, and you got a flash in the pan jackass that didn't deserve the push he got.

Oct 18, 2011
the match will be fine, WM20 was a perfect storm, they were both leaving, and brock clearly did not want to risk injury since he was going to be trying out for football...it was what it was, but this one wont be the same

also i'd just like to remind people the smariest of smark fans in brooklyn, were chanting for goldberg when brock was beating the crap out of orton at summerslam

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Personally I like your way of thinking, but realistically it's not actually that simple. It's an investment of time. Time is insanely valuable and WWE is asking for around 5-15 hours of your week. :laugh:

So while I applaud the laid back way you are taking this, it's not realistic. There is a business, a product, entertainment value, time invested, money, a consumer, etc. So no... it's not just sitting back and enjoying it. These types of decisions have ramifications on their product and their fanbase.

I think as fans, we should care less about the business aspect of it. This will be one-off match between two stars. That's all it is. I don't understand the booking of this since both guys shouldn't be losing their next match, but I will still enjoy it. I think there is definitely an overreaction in this thread about what kind of impact this one match will have on the product. I don't know if I'm being biased here though since I'm a big Goldberg fan.

I actually think you're in the majority on this forum.

It would be different if it was a guy Brock respected. He respects Taker and they won't out there and left a lot in the ring.

They two don't care at all for each other so no one is going to the extra to help the other look good.

Aren't Lesnar and Goldberg friends? I feel like I've heard that.

He represents everything wrong with this body image in wrestling. Some guy was pushed based totally on his look, with zero care to actual wrestling.

Add his views on wrestling, and you got a flash in the pan jackass that didn't deserve the push he got.

Why didn't Goldberg deserve the push he got? It was not just his look that got him over. He has an it-factor and an in-ring charisma that hardly anyone can match. If just the look got someone over, Roman Reigns would be a superstar right now. Goldberg played his part so well and came across as a legitimate bad ass. You can just throw anyone with that body and that look in there and expect the same results.

Not many guys had the peak that Goldberg had. To say it's something he didn't deserve is just wrong.

Oct 18, 2011

goldberg got pushed like he did because he got over

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
goldberg got pushed like he did because he got over

Exactly. It's not like WCW just chose a guy to attach a rocket to and it was a sure thing. Goldberg deserves a lot of credit for his character's success. WWE tried to replicate it with Ryback but it didn't work (although it worked a lot better than I thought it would).

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Of course Goldberg deserved his push. He got over, simple as that. On the other hand, his career went downhill fast because he didn't have the talent to sustain his popularity.

Some in Toronto will pop for him no doubt, but a modern wrestling audience that ***** over Roman Reigns for being overpushed based on look is going to despise Goldberg.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Goldberg was sick during his win streak in WCW. This beastly looking dude coming out and murdering jobbers in under two minutes. He was incredibly impressive. I would say he was the Ultimate Warrior of the Attitude Era. But this was almost two decades ago now.

Nowadays anyone under 21's experience with this guy is him being a huge mark for himself on podcasts with nothing to back it up except some matches on YouTube from a non-existant company.

Oct 18, 2011
Of course Goldberg deserved his push. He got over, simple as that. On the other hand, his career went downhill fast because he didn't have the talent to sustain his popularity.

Some in Toronto will pop for him no doubt, but a modern wrestling audience that ***** over Roman Reigns for being overpushed based on look is going to despise Goldberg.

well i did not watch much WCW after 99, as for his WWE run, he was red hot when he came in but they ruined the special attraction by doing stupid comedy amongst other things.

what you say about reigns does not necessarily apply to goldberg. they tried to make roman samoan cena and became the obvious handpicked guy that of course the fans rebelled. goldberg is not going to be wrestling every night, they will probably utilize him like sting, only hopefully they don't just turn him into a loser so WWE can once again brag about beating WCW

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
My favourite WWE match of his was the elimination chamber at Summerslam 2003. He was so over in that arena and it was a real special kind of crowd reaction he got that night. He really should have won that match.

Was that the match where Triple H refused to come out of the pod so Goldberg kicked through the door and brought him out himself?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
the match will be fine, WM20 was a perfect storm, they were both leaving, and brock clearly did not want to risk injury since he was going to be trying out for football...it was what it was, but this one wont be the same

also i'd just like to remind people the smariest of smark fans in brooklyn, were chanting for goldberg when brock was beating the crap out of orton at summerslam
I think they were doing that because they thought he was there and wanted him to save the main event. It would've been a great reaction, but mainly because it would've been the surprise-return. They wanted to mark for the moment more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad