Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rather pay him 8x8 this summer than a a 5x2 then 10+ once salaries rise in the future
That’s how I look at it. Then both brock and EP up in 2021. If they have the room over the next 2 years which they should it’s better to have those years higher then the hit down the line isn’t as bad.

Cause a bad year means a bridge deal.

He Could hit 40 plus goals playing worth EP and then like you said it then costs $10 million per for him?

You want him to do well enough that he’s comfortable doing a long term deal, be it 6-8 years. If he can get around 30 this year it gives you a good base to project what he’ll be for the duration of the 2nd contract. Then he can get the $7 million or so in the summer.

Reactions: Dave Lister

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I understand the euphoria with regards to Brock’s last game, but let’s remember that:

A) It’s one game. Let’s see him do it again.

B) It was against a porous defense.

C) EP is buoying all ships at present.

I’m not trying to downplay his 4 point night, but let’s see him continue to play well (outside the points) before we declare him recovered. I still have concerns about his injuries.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Boeser stays with Pettersson for any length of time, he'll light it up. Two sublime passes that put him in alone. But I can count at least three or four other Pettersson dishes that had Boeser in cold but couldn't finish. And watching those two work the first unit pp is a thing of beauty. Brock will be on fire if they keep that line of Goldy, Petterson and Brock intact imo.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
It's almost like you wish he is hurt. Your hating of the regime is out of control.

No clue how you got that from my post other than you being a blind Benning bro who would rather willfully ignore the fact that he’s cleary not healthy by putting your fingers in your ears and screaming “la la la I can’t hear you.”

I’m sorry that some of us are actually concerned with Boeser’s long term health and actually watch the games.

Enjoy looking at the stat sheet after the game and pretending that he’s fully healthy just because he put up points.

Imagine being such a Benning bro that you would risk one of our most important players health just to prove a point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He looked like he was skating a bit gingerly after that cross check to the back.

Really hope he’s getting all the necessary medical attention and physiotherapy to help him get his body fully healthy.

He was just starting to show flashes of last year too.
I would fully expect any team to provide the best health and medical care to their players. There’s no cap to that spending.

It’s a contact sport. Guys are going to get hit legally and illegally. There’s going to be pain.

Reactions: Nomobo

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Yeah I have my doubts about any sort of malpractice. The real problem is theres a stigma (or at least I perceive one) of needing to play through stuff, which I disagree with. Although if he's medically cleared, there really isn't a problem. Playing through minor residual pain is fine if its medically authorized. Everyone whos ever played a sport has gone through bruises, soreness, and all sorts of pain. It's the doctors job to figure out what that pain is, and whether or not it's ok to play with.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I understand the euphoria with regards to Brock’s last game, but let’s remember that:

A) It’s one game. Let’s see him do it again.

B) It was against a porous defense.

C) EP is buoying all ships at present.

I’m not trying to downplay his 4 point night, but let’s see him continue to play well (outside the points) before we declare him recovered. I still have concerns about his injuries.
It's less about the points and more of how he looked skating.

A couple games ago he would have got swallowed up on the first breakaway...
A couple games ago he wouldn't have been able to get separation on the second goal like he did...
With his skating.
That the promising part... and then that game was followed up with 3 days off to further recoup.

So you can wet blanket the production side of it... I'm looking at how he looks like he's found a step.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curmudgeon

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No clue how you got that from my post other than you being a blind Benning bro who would rather willfully ignore the fact that he’s cleary not healthy by putting your fingers in your ears and screaming “la la la I can’t hear you.”

I’m sorry that some of us are actually concerned with Boeser’s long term health and actually watch the games.

Enjoy looking at the stat sheet after the game and pretending that he’s fully healthy just because he put up points.

Imagine being such a Benning bro that you would risk one of our most important players health just to prove a point.

Nothing to do with points. He was finally skating like he's healthy.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Am I the only person that doesn't mind if Brock falls into a sophomore slump? His contact is up this year so we don't have to pay him as much and gives us a better chance at Jack Hughes.... Plus more cap flexibility down the road.

Yeah exactly - it's certainly not the worst thing in the world for us if he has a bit of a down year. It's almost preferable as we can potentially lock him up for 4-6 years at 5-6 mill per instead of the 7 or so it would cost us if he continued on from last year. Wonder if Benning factored in a possible sophomore slump (which is very common amongst players) when he signed him......

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah exactly - it's certainly not the worst thing in the world for us if he has a bit of a down year. It's almost preferable as we can potentially lock him up for 4-6 years at 5-6 mill per instead of the 7 or so it would cost us if he continued on from last year. Wonder if Benning factored in a possible sophomore slump (which is very common amongst players) when he signed him......
He was injured at the end of last season with a pretty serious back injury.
Wouldn't of been good business to sign him till he came back healthy.
Smart call cuz its taken all summer, camp and the first 15 games to finally look right for 60 mins.
Now out play out the season to see if he's prone to other injuries, or if he is what he showed last season...

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Boeser doesn't have to sign a long-term contract when his ELC ends after this season. Really, he shouldn't if it's coming off a down season.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Im not giving Boeser 8x8 as of yet. His injury really scares me. He can still score, but he has no speed, and his shot is less accurate from last year.

I really wouldnt mind the bridge tbh. I would take the risk, because i dont expect him to become a 10m+ player at all..like ever.

Reactions: Literally

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Im not giving Boeser 8x8 as of right now..

His injury issues really scare me moving forward. His speed looks really below average and his shot is less automatic than it was last year by far. His 4 point night doesnt change that for me.

Id rather take the bridge deal, i dont ever expect Boeser to be a 10m+ player. Like ever. He would have to hit 40+ goals and ppg and not being carried on a line with Pettersson to be a 10m+ player.

Nikita Kucherov got 9.5m as an RFA and he hit 100 points, with a season of 85 points the year prior leading his team in points (22 more points than the next forward).

RFA wingers dont sniff that money unless if your like Ovechkin.

Reactions: Literally

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Tweaked his groin again. Saw this one coming a mile away. You don’t play through groin pain.

Our medical staff coming up bush league once again.

It's mind boggling that he hasn't been sat for a couple weeks as a precaution as he's clearly been playing through something.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Calm down there
It was probably the effect of the cross check on the back

The last time he sat out he said he was playing through the pain for weeks until it became unbearable. Then after he came back he said it was still painful but he’d play through because “that’s what hockey players do”.

Groin injuries linger when you don’t take care of them. I hope they learn their lesson and let him fully recover this time but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Tweaked his groin again. Saw this one coming a mile away. You don’t play through groin pain.

Seems like a stretch. Boeser chooses whether he dresses. I suspect he told the trainers his groin was tip top. Groins injuries are tricky. Sometimes they last a day and sometimes they last your whole life. My brother has had 7 groin surgies it’s brutal!

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Seems like a stretch. Boeser chooses whether he dresses. I suspect he told the trainers his groin was tip top. Groins injuries are tricky. Sometimes they last a day and sometimes they last your whole life. My brother has had 7 groin surgies it’s brutal!

He told the media that it was still painful but he was going to play through it because "that's what hockey players do".

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He told the media that it was still painful but he was going to play through it because "that's what hockey players do".
Well that’s his choice. Brock is a big boy and only he can tell the trainers how bad his symptoms are. He is right, all athletes need to play through some discomfort.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
It's less about the points and more of how he looked skating.

A couple games ago he would have got swallowed up on the first breakaway...
A couple games ago he wouldn't have been able to get separation on the second goal like he did...
With his skating.
That the promising part... and then that game was followed up with 3 days off to further recoup.

So you can wet blanket the production side of it... I'm looking at how he looks like he's found a step.

I agree, I think he has found a step and maybe the added muscle may have helped separate a bit on those goals as well.

I would be cautious with the groin even if it meant sitting him out and losing a few games. It's about the longer term not this particular year.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Yeah, I don't get it. I think Ferraro mentioned on a radio broadcast that there are 2 levels of groin issues, one totally prevents play while one can come an go, but my experience with numerous hockey related groin pulls is that as soon as it twinges, it is 2-3 weeks (2 if you stop right away, 3 if you take another shift on it, or if it is a complete snap from the get go) before it is good to go.

These days, I have all sorts of tricks to prevent it (otherwise it happens by the middle of the 2nd period of every game) including now I have to stand on the bench the whole game, hopping from one foot to the other, otherwise it goes.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

I don't really see anything in that post, which is clueless about what my actual position on any given issue with the team, that is worth responding to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad