Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He's lucky that EP has pretty much entirely taken the spotlight off of him. This would have been brutal otherwise.

I was thinking the same today. Boeser’s problems would have been centre stage had Pettersson not burst onto the scene. He’s lucky in that way.

I don’t know what is up with his performance, but they have to rectify it. He’s too important a player to have him become what he is. Something is wrong. They need to address it.

Reactions: mossey3535

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Despite the talk of how "terrible" he is playing- he is recouping from a serious injury and he is nursing a groin injury this season.

He still has 7 points in 11 games. That's not godly like last season, but it won't take him much to get back in the hunt with a couple hot games. I don't see much reason for serious concern yet. If he goes the whole season scoring very few goals then yes, we have a problem.

Reactions: Tv9924

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Any team would take a 50 point pace "slumping" sophmore still getting into shape after a difficult back injury followed by a groin problem.....
We aren’t any team. We are the Vancouver canucks. We deserve the best and always strive for excellence

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't think he's the franchise-changing talent we thought he might be last season, but he's definitely going to be a consistent 20-30 goal scorer for most of his career. Think James Neal-type production.

The franchise-changer is Pettersson.

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
I forgot that Brock only had 2 goals in all of October last year (yes i know he played fewer games last october). I have a feeling that once he gets his timing back and he pops a couple he will start to roll again.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Brock is making good plays but his speed just isn't there to execute, so he starts to reach a lot with his stick and stops moving his feet.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I think people are missing the point here.

I don’t think anyone is worried about Boeser’s point totals, but the concern is about his health.

Yes, if he’s playing through injury his production will suffer, but the issue is why is he playing through injury?

With a player as important as Boeser, why not give him some time off to go through a proper rehab regimen?

Even if it took two months (it would probably take less) he would come back in January and be fully healthy and ready to go.

I’d hate to see him re-aggravate something when there’s an opportunity to get him fully healthy.

You need to think long term with players as important as Brock.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Man I wish we had that 3rd of his entry level to really judge and make an assessment.

Shows why some teams are reluctant to burn it.
Agree, I really wish we had it as well.

But I don't agree with the premise that we should play hardball with college FA's about it.

You're already taking a big risk taking college players... I would do anything it takes to get them signed. I never understood this criticism of Benning. I think it's the correct move and ANY GM should have done what Benning did. Too risky not to.

Jesus Christ I just said other GM's should follow Benning's example

Never thought I'd speak those words

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think people are missing the point here.

I don’t think anyone is worried about Boeser’s point totals, but the concern is about his health.

Yes, if he’s playing through injury his production will suffer, but the issue is why is he playing through injury?

With a player as important as Boeser, why not give him some time off to go through a proper rehab regimen?

Even if it took two months (it would probably take less) he would come back in January and be fully healthy and ready to go.

I’d hate to see him re-aggravate something when there’s an opportunity to get him fully healthy.

You need to think long term with players as important as Brock.
GM and Coach really think long term
Their jobs don’t tend to last long

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think the poster meant to type “rarely” and not “really”.

As to why he’s playing...this is a medical issue and unless we have the full medical history and diagnosis it’s hard to know if playing is the right or wrong thing to do. Especially with the back recovery. Though I would suggest groin injuries rarely get better if you continue with hard exercise.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Agree, I really wish we had it as well.

But I don't agree with the premise that we should play hardball with college FA's about it.

You're already taking a big risk taking college players... I would do anything it takes to get them signed. I never understood this criticism of Benning. I think it's the correct move and ANY GM should have done what Benning did. Too risky not to.

Jesus Christ I just said other GM's should follow Benning's example

Never thought I'd speak those words

The thing with burning a year of ELC by playing a handful of games in March/April is that you don't burn a year towards UFA/salary arbitration, and that's more important.

Reactions: Peen

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think the poster meant to type “rarely” and not “really”.

As to why he’s playing...this is a medical issue and unless we have the full medical history and diagnosis it’s hard to know if playing is the right or wrong thing to do. Especially with the back recovery. Though I would suggest groin injuries rarely get better if you continue with hard exercise.

Ah. Gotcha.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Brock has been mostly painful to watch this year. He’s so slow and doesn’t seem to read the play as well as he did.

It’s mind blowing how he was the future a year ago, and then we get EP and see what a true franchise player looks like. They’re not in the same tier.

Not sure if Brock is injured or what but he just looks terrible out there.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Brock has been mostly painful to watch this year. He’s so slow and doesn’t seem to read the play as well as he did.

It’s mind blowing how he was the future a year ago, and then we get EP and see what a true franchise player looks like. They’re not in the same tier.

Not sure if Brock is injured or what but he just looks terrible out there.

Whoa! Brock was on track to compete for the Calder with another amazing rookie in Barzal. Sure he is not on same tier as EP but definitely a franchise player until the back injury.

Seriously, why use gates to change, they are slower than hopping the boards, and create dangers (as so clearly demonstrated in Brock's case). I swear the Canucks have lost about a dozen games the past dozen seasons on crappy line changes/bench minors.

And by "swear" I mean I have no evidence other than anecdotes and a gut feeling. 1st Round Game 5 2012 PO's I'm looking at you.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Whoa! Brock was on track to compete for the Calder with another amazing rookie in Barzal. Sure he is not on same tier as EP but definitely a franchise player until the back injury.
I always thought of him as a consistent 30 goal, one or two times 40 goals guy personally. He had a great year last year. I have no stats to back this up, but I was wondering if he could be missing the Sedins. Not many playmakers among our forwards besides Elias. Haven’t seen many cross ice clappers this year. Sedins were really, really good at setting that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad