Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Incredibly sad

puts his season in perspective, as I was wondering why he wasnt competing as hard in a contract year.
puts things into perspective on how much he had on his shoulders this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Incredibly sad

puts his season in perspective, as I was wondering why he wasnt competing as hard in a contract year.
puts things into perspective on how much he had on his shoulders this year.
Sad indeed. He probably did as much for his dad and family as he could do given that he was in Vancouver. Like pay for medical workers to help his mom and family out to care for his dad. Take some of that day to day burden off them.

I doubt his production would be drastically better if he was dealt to Minnesota in the off-season. He probably would spend some of his off-ice time with his dad. Who knows if that would make him feel better to see him or worse to see his dad get worse over time.

Terrible situation for the family.

Last edited:

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Honestly probably for the best with all the terrible shit that’s been thrown at Duke.
acute Pain but now the family can heal, and he’s got 4 months to come to terms.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
you really start to see how human the ebbs and flows of a game are, and you are maybe thankful for that in some ways, because can you imagine trying to root for a team that only cares about Ws on the board and don't support each other through horrific circumstances?

i said this at the time, but think back to that couple of games in the stretch run where boeser was reborn. we were 5-0-1 in our last six and suddenly there was a tiny chance we could actually run the table and make the playoffs.

in game seven of that streak, boeser gets a goal and an assist in the second against dallas to turn a 2-1 game into a 4-2 game, then picks up an assist on petey's empty netter at the end of the game to seal it. remember that play? boeser makes two key defensive plays in his zone before controlling the puck, getting it back to schenn, then petey takes him on a 2-on-1 and he scores a classic boeser on his off-side goal on oettinger. then later he slides back to the point when brad hunt starts freelancing and sets up dick's tip. he also caused the turnover at the end of the game with dallas' net empty that ultimately led to the empty netter.

in game eight, he screens the goalie for the first goal, by miller on the PP. then he scores the 2-0 goal in a classic brett hull one-timer from soft ice on the PP. then at the end of regulation, when it's 3-2 ottawa, boeser wins a puck battle that made me literally post "holy shit boeser won a puck battle" to set up a wide open one-timer in the slot from dermott. then he whiffed in the shootout and the GDT went from "woo like a phoenix his reborn" to "i condemn him to hell."

and then we went from that 6-0-2 run to sidle back into the race, with the last five games on a homestand, to just completely falling apart against the wild in minnesota in the third. and we fell apart against calgary in the same way, three unanswered goals to throw away a game that was tied in the third period. and that was our season.

but man, can you imagine what was going through the entire team's head that night in st paul when they just couldn't hold it together any longer? you could see it on hughes and petey's faces in the offseason press conference.

as a fan, i would have wanted to see some playoff games, obviously. but as a human being, i'm glad they didn't just pull a chicago and tune it out and get rid of boeser sometime in the last two years, when his presence became inconvenient to winning games.

Reactions: sting101

Frostage

May 23, 2014
I guess it's pointless to post on a hockey message board, but I'm sorry for Brock's loss and I hope he's able to heal as best as he's able.

This reminds me of what Yogi Berra said

"Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Under the CBA, the Canucks could not give a QO to BB and instead elect (i.e. club elected) arbitration before July 2, at 5pm. See CBA12.3(a)(ii) explained here: Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

However, based on multiple reports, it seems that the plan is to try for a cheaper long term deal but if that can't be reached then to qualify him ahead of the July 11 deadline. See: Boeser expected to receive qualifying offer from Canucks: report

I'm a bit surprised the Canucks wouldn't at least still be considering (or leveraging the possibility) or a club elected arbitration. The result of a QO is a 7.5 million hit, while club elected arbitration would likely lower that, but not by more than 15% max (i.e. $6,375,000). Perhaps given that they already decided not to go for club elected arbitration, they prefer to take a more friendly approach to negotiation in hopes of the player agreeing to a longer term deal at a lower cap hit. We will see if that works out; I have my doubts. It could be considered a classy move given the issues Brock has endured lately. Unlike with EP/Hughes, we won't have to wait long to see if it works out. BB will either sign a long term deal or accept the QO, he won't reject it in favour of arbitration.

Reactions: tyhee

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Under the CBA, the Canucks could not give a QO to BB and instead elect (i.e. club elected) arbitration before July 2, at 5pm. See CBA12.3(a)(ii) explained here: Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

However, based on multiple reports, it seems that the plan is to try for a cheaper long term deal but if that can't be reached then to qualify him ahead of the July 11 deadline. See: Boeser expected to receive qualifying offer from Canucks: report

I'm a bit surprised the Canucks wouldn't at least still be considering (or leveraging the possibility) or a club elected arbitration. The result of a QO is a 7.5 million hit, while club elected arbitration would likely lower that, but not by more than 15% max (i.e. $6,375,000). Perhaps given that they already decided not to go for club elected arbitration, they prefer to take a more friendly approach to negotiation in hopes of the player agreeing to a longer term deal at a lower cap hit. We will see if that works out; I have my doubts. It could be considered a classy move given the issues Brock has endured lately. Unlike with EP/Hughes, we won't have to wait long to see if it works out. BB will either sign a long term deal or accept the QO, he won't reject it in favour of arbitration.
I am hoping it means they are happy to try again after next season because they’ll have trimmed a lot of fat and have no trouble fitting in 7.5 schmilliakkis for one season.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't think you can trade him and not simply because the PR would be horrendous. I don't think you can trade him because despite everything he has had to deal with from injury to the situation with his dad (a situation no one in any profession would do well with) his 82 game career pace is 30.6 G 34.2 A 64.8 Pts. It's a top 60 scoring rate. He has some flaws for sure. No doubt about it. But in the end he is going to produce.

That's a player you keep around on a longer term, lower cap hit deal.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

If what we're hearing is true, he wants to stay, the Canucks want to keep him, we don't want to pay $7.5M, and he doesn't want to play another year without the security of a multi-year deal, so the overlapping interests probably are making all sides feel confident a deal is within the zone of agreement so might as well keep things friendly and constructive to minimize friction and lock in the desire for Boeser to commit.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
6.6x6 for #6
SophisticatedCautiousIndianrhinoceros-max-1mb.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For such a young player, Boeser seems to bedeviled with the major injury bug.....I'm seriously wondering how well this player will 'age' going forward.

If the reports are to be believed, Rutherford will qualify him and try to negotiate a longer term deal. But in terms of 'trade value', Boeser might be at the 'top of the market' right now. In a season or two, it could be a different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad