Value of: Brock Boeser for a young defenseman that plays the right side

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
That Avs 1st is going to be top 5, and thats if they dont win the lotto haha. I like BB but Van takes that deal and RUNS.

The irony of the Avs pulling an Ott
If you have your heart set on Kakko
I didn't know you guys have sunk so low. I was figuring something closer to it being in the midteens

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Barrie or AVs - 1st traded separately are equal to Boeser.

Combined with Jost is so ridiculous, Sakic will ensure they block further calls after they recover from the laughter. :laugh:

View attachment 186541
Lmao what?? Boeser>Barrie and Brock Boeser>>>>Avs 1st round pick :laugh: You’re telling me you wouldn’t trade a likely 10-14 range 1st pick for a proven 25-30 young elite goal scorer? Jesus can you overvalue picks anymore?

Reactions: Canucks LB

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Lmao what?? Boeser>Barrie and Brock Boeser>>>>Avs 1st round pick :laugh: You’re telling me you wouldn’t trade a likely 10-14 range 1st pick for a proven 25-30 young elite goal scorer? Jesus can you overvalue picks anymore?

AVs are sinking badly in the standings. They sit with the 10th worst record and equally close to the conference bottom as reaching the final WC. They've only won 3X this year and with their chances of reaching the playoffs fading, it's more realistic the pick will be top 5.

They're more than happy to keep the pick or trade elsewhere.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Trading our 21 year old sniper who scores at a 37 goals per 82 games pace is a good move for a rebuilding team. Ok.

Don’t be so short sighted. Again.....

1) Boeser gets you a very good young dman (young being the operative word here.....someone that is either on a bridge or an ELC).
2) The top line winger spot will be vacant......we will need someone to play with Pettersson.
3) UFA wingers will WANT to come here because there will be an opportunity to play with Pettersson.
4) Guys like Stone, Duchene, and Ferland will be UFA’s on July 1st.......and that’s just 3 forwards that listed.

I would argue that it would be EXTREMELY likely that a big name forward would want to sign with us.

End result: Canucks get a top line forward to replace Boeser + we get a major defensive piece on the right side.

Reactions: Patagonia

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Disagree. We need to keep the Pettersson-Boeser-Horvat core intact and just draft well and stay the course.

Agreed, but I think the loss of Boeser can easily be compensated in the off season with the UFA forwards that will be available.

People will want to come here because there will be an opportunity to play with Pettersson.

1) Flip Boeser for a great young dman that is on a bridge or an ELC (gives us more cap space since we won’t have to extend Brock in the summer).

2) Entice one of Stone or Duchene with big money and term along with the opportunity to play with Pettersson.

It’s a calculated risk that I think that would pay off big time.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Agreed, but I think the loss of Boeser can easily be compensated in the off season with the UFA forwards that will be available.

People will want to come here because there will be an opportunity to play with Pettersson.

1) Flip Boeser for a great young dman that is on a bridge or an ELC (gives us more cap space since we won’t have to extend Brock in the summer).

2) Entice one of Stone or Duchene with big money and term along with the opportunity to play with Pettersson.

Duchene is a center. He wouldnt play with Petterson.

Also the Canucks suck and have a ways to go until they are a legit playoff contender.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

So trade the 21 yr old 30 plus goal scorer so u can overpay for a 26 yr old who has never scored 30? Seriously this logic is just non existent.

Duchene makes even less sense since EP is a center as is Horvat.. Duchene is also. Just zero thought in this.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Duchene is a center. He wouldnt play with Petterson.

Also the Canucks suck and have a ways to go until they are a legit playoff contender.

Duchene also plays left wing does he not? He has extensive experience playing the left side if I’m not mistaken.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So trade the 21 yr old 30 plus goal scorer so u can overpay for a 26 yr old who has never scored 30? Seriously this logic is just non existent.

1) You trade Boeser for a talented young right sided Defenseman that is on an ELC or bridge. Why? Because - the Canucks’ biggest organizational need is a right sided defenseman with top pairing potential. No one on the Canucks outside of Pettersson and Boeser will fetch you that. Drafting and signing a premium defensive talent is extremely difficult. Hence - the trade suggestion.

2) Target a UFA forward on July 1st. Lots will be available to nullify the loss (to some degree) of Boeser. Said forwards will want to play here due to the opportunity of playing with Pettersson in the no vacant spot left by the departure of Boeser. That’s a huge sell right there.......the opportunity to play with Pettersson.

3) Overall end result:

-Slight decrease in winger prowess (ie replacing Boeser with one of the UFA forwards).
-MAJOR increase in defensive prowess.
-overall net gain in talent + more balanced roster.

Just imagine this for a second:

-The Canucks trade Boeser for a young promising dman, free up cap space, and throw the kitchen sink at Mark Stone on July 1st.

Think that will turn some heads?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So we're going with 0 top 6 wingers?

July 1st 2019,

Stone, Ferland, Duchene (he has extensive experience playing LW), and a few other good wingers (Nyquist, Silverberg, Dzingel) will all be available.

Do you really mean to tell me that not even ONE of these guys will jump at the opportunity to play with Elias Pettersson on the top line? Really?

With a Boeser for a young RD trade, the Canucks will be very balanced at set up for the long term:

-Very good depth down the middle
-Very good depth in net
-And now, Very good short term and long term depth on defense.

If you’re a winger, and you see all of the above......and you see the Canucks with cap space (remember - no reupping of Boeser would be required and you would be trading for a talented D that’s either on a bridge or ELC).......AND you see a fun opportunity to play with Pettersson.....

Who the hell says “no” to this?!?

Would Mark Stone say’ “no” to the above?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Liljgren + Nylander
For
Boeser + Tanev

Get AM his winger.
And Babs his RHD

Hyman - Matthews- Boeser
Kapanen - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Johnsson

Rielly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Tanev
Gardiner - Dermott

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
July 1st 2019,

Stone, Ferland, Duchene (he has extensive experience playing LW), and a few other good wingers (Nyquist, Silverberg, Dzingel) will all be available.

Do you really mean to tell me that not even ONE of these guys will jump at the opportunity to play with Elias Pettersson on the top line? Really?

With a Boeser for a young RD trade, the Canucks will be very balanced at set up for the long term:

-Very good depth down the middle
-Very good depth in net
-And now, Very good short term and long term depth on defense.

If you’re a winger, and you see all of the above......and you see the Canucks with cap space (remember - no reupping of Boeser would be required and you would be trading for a talented D that’s either on a bridge or ELC).......AND you see a fun opportunity to play with Pettersson.....

Who the hell says “no” to this?!?

Would Mark Stone say’ “no” to the above?

Your explanation makes far too much sense.

I understand fans are rightfully attached to their player, but to get someone of value; offering Boeser (selling high) could be an excellent option.

Few teams have available RHD, but even fewer with a need for a RW. AVs and CAN are good trading partners. Recently, the AVs - Barrie has been linked to Huberdeau which is a similar type of player. Wth the AVs sinking in the standings and VAN ahead of the rebuild, Barrie (previously linked) would be an excellent option.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Not sure why the Canucks would trade Boeser in the first place and looks like your fellow fans seem to agree. Well anyways, the teams that have "young RD" the caliber of Boeser drafted their guy because they need it just as much as Vancouver. Except maybe those weirdos down in Nashville who kept drafting and developing top 4 D, in which case you're probably looking at Fabbro. You'd get a local boy in Fabbro, but unless Nashville is willing to add a lot, it wouldn't be enough for Boeser.

Side note, the idea that Barrie could fetch Boeser is laughable and unless there is someone on the draft board the Canucks really covet at the Avs spot, the first isn't worth him either.

Reactions: Love

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Your explanation makes far too much sense.

I understand fans are rightfully attached to their player, but to get someone of value; offering Boeser (selling high) could be an excellent option.

Few teams have available RHD, but even fewer with a need for a RW. AVs and CAN are good trading partners. Recently, the AVs - Barrie has been linked to Huberdeau which is a similar type of player. Wth the AVs sinking in the standings and VAN ahead of the rebuild, Barrie (previously linked) would be an excellent option.

Thank you for atleast attempting to understand where I was coming from, and not automatically assuming that.....

1) I dislike Boeser
2) I don’t know what I’m talking about
3) I don’t have a plan in place to replace Boeser’s scoring up front to some degree.

While I wouldn’t be interested in Barrie if we were to trade Boeser, I still appreciate your post very much.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Not sure why the Canucks would trade Boeser in the first place.

Few reasons:

1) I’m not sure if you’re a Canucks fan or not, but the Canucks have a MAJOR weakness (short term and long term) on their right side D. Our right side D is weak as is, and will only get worse as Tanev ages. Stecher and Gudbranson aren’t even 2nd caliber pair defensemen, and while a guy like Woo looks promising, the likelihood of him being. Top pairing guy are quite slim. His ceiling is likely that of a 2nd pairing RD.

2) Pettersson and Boeser are the only two players on the Canucks who are capable of landing a very good and young RD that is either on a bridge or an ELC.....and given that Pettersson is a C and will likely be a top 5 player in the NHL one day, trading him would be a terrible idea.

3) Drafting and developing a star right sided or right handed D man is extremely difficult and rare.

4) there will be many UFA forwards available in the summer of 2019.......and if we trade Boeser and have a vacant spot on ELIAS PETTERSSON’s WING, then seriously.......who would say no to that? Stone? Duchene? Ferland?

5) Trading Boeser and the lottery. If the Canucks were to trade Boeser for a young and talented dman that’s either on an ELC or a bridge, the chances of us falling in the standings would be significantly high.......meaning that our chances of moving up in the draft would also become significantly higher. Think about this for a second:

A) We trade Boeser for a right sided dman that is on an ELC/bridge.
B) We free fall in the standings and draft Kakko or Jack Hughes
C) we sign someone like Stone who loves where are as an organization (ie deep down the middle, in net, and now on defense). We would now have the cap space because the dman we traded for is still on an ELC or bridge, and we didn’t have to reup Boeser.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
3) Drafting and developing a star right sided or right handed D man is extremely difficult and rare.

4) there will be many UFA forwards available in the summer of 2019.......and if we trade Boeser and have a vacant spot on ELIAS PETTERSSON’s WING, then seriously.......who would say no to that? Stone? Duchene? Ferland?
#3 is exactly what I meant about teams not willing to part with what you're asking. They have their guy because they need it just as bad.

For #4, I know Vancouver isn't in the same cap crunch that moron Chiarelli got Edmonton into, but please don't go forward with the "Anybody and everybody can produce with McDavid" mentality with Pettersson. Look where it got them. I know your team's performance and placing in the standings is a pleasant surprise this season, but please don't let it rush this rebuild. Take your time, hold the course and develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad